Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-20-2008, 08:20 AM

340 posts, read 1,445,980 times

Advertisements

I have a 2500 sq ft home in S.A.Tx.It is 2 stories and has 2 -10 seer H/pump set up-1 up stairs and one down.The unit for the downstairs is located in the attic above the garage(attached).I've noticed that the temps in this area are really hot and there is little ventilation.The upstairs unit is located in the attic where there is a vent at each end of the roof peak and is considerately cooler than the garage attic.How much of a benefit would it be for me to have vent(s) installed in the garage attic area?And if so should they be electric,solar,or just a free-flow style.They would have to vent out the actual roof since there isn't any open peak.My electric bill has really increased and I'm trying to help cut down on cost.Any input would be appreciated.
Attached Thumbnails
Attic fans-new-home-sunshine-meadow-026.jpg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2008, 08:50 AM

9,124 posts, read 36,382,644 times
I'd put a thermostatically controlled electric vent in the attic, but more importantly, I'd go over the ductwork with a fine-toothed comb looking for leaks to seal, and I'd also increase the insulation on the ductwork. The first item will make sure that all of the conditioned air is getting to the conditioned space rather than leaking into the attic, and the second will keep that conditioned air as cold as possible.

Old 07-20-2008, 11:23 AM

1,055 posts, read 4,135,904 times
We have the thermostat electric vent/fans and they are great, they kick on at the temp we set them for and turn off when it cools down. We have had to replace the motor once but it was a quick & easy job.

Old 07-20-2008, 01:54 PM

29,939 posts, read 39,464,356 times
I'd also add anytime you add mechanical ventilation the area that your venting should have enough make up from outside the home it won't leave the attic in a negative pressure pulling your conditioned air out of your home through little cracks and crevices in the ceiling.

Old 07-21-2008, 05:22 AM

340 posts, read 1,445,980 times
Thanks for the feedback.I checked out Home Depot and the roof mounted version runs 1600cfm at just over 100 bucks.Thermostat sold separate at just under 25 bucks.Sounds like the way to go but not sure how difficult install would be.Don't want to damage roof.I'll call my local roof guy.

Old 07-21-2008, 08:59 AM

9,124 posts, read 36,382,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by turnerfamily View Post
Thanks for the feedback.I checked out Home Depot and the roof mounted version runs 1600cfm at just over 100 bucks.Thermostat sold separate at just under 25 bucks.Sounds like the way to go but not sure how difficult install would be.Don't want to damage roof.I'll call my local roof guy.
Good idea- and as noted above, while he's there, make sure that you have enough passive ventilation to allow air to be drawn into the attic from outside to replace what the fan's sucking out.

Old 07-21-2008, 09:33 AM

8,309 posts, read 38,779,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobKovacs View Post
Good idea- and as noted above, while he's there, make sure that you have enough passive ventilation to allow air to be drawn into the attic from outside to replace what the fan's sucking out.
Absolutely right. If your attic can not accomodate a 1600 CFM exhaust, you will wind up drawing conditioned air from your house into the attic.

As a personal rule, if an operation involves natural gas, electricity ahead of the main breaker, pressurized pipes, septic plumbing or roof penetration, I call a pro.

Last edited by jimboburnsy; 07-21-2008 at 09:42 AM..

Old 07-24-2008, 06:06 AM

3,517 posts, read 13,261,663 times
My roofer just put in an attic fan and he used one that has a flare about 2 inches above the roof flashing to keep water out. He said it is the only one that is constructed that way and all the others will leak with a driving rain. It's made by Lomanco and available at roofing supply stores. I put a thermometer up there and it is significantly cooler. I also have a whole house fan and the heat is no longer radiating down from the louvers on hot days.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House