Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2008, 08:56 PM

238 posts, read 1,245,383 times

Advertisements

What is the difference between hard & soft water? How does one know which type they have? TIA!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2008, 06:32 AM

3,507 posts, read 13,422,635 times
do you have a softner or purification system that requires salt? If you do, you have soft water. Direct city water is not soft water. I notice my hair dries faster with regular water vice soft water, that's how I know where I stay while traveling if the hotel/suite/condo has soft water.

Old 07-27-2008, 08:30 AM

48,505 posts, read 96,629,449 times
It really depends on where you live;I have soft city water. The main difference I notice between hard and soft water is how much detergent you need to wash things and the way soap lathers when taking a bath anytime I go to hard water. Soft water really lathers much better.It also rinses much better. Most hardwater alos contains alot of minerals and will leave stins on amny things like toilets.I use about a table spoon of dishwashing powder because anything more and there is too much residuall soap for instance with our soft city water.I always ahte when I go to visit places with hard water because I never seem to feel clean after taking a shower.

Old 07-27-2008, 11:39 AM

20,958 posts, read 45,275,685 times
If you leave a little water in a glass on the counter overnight, and you come back in the morning and there's a white sediment that looks like tiny white rocks, you've got hard water.

Old 07-27-2008, 11:58 AM

24,834 posts, read 37,255,882 times
Hard or soft water is determined by a water analysis. Go to your heath department and get some bottles. NEVER let anyone test your water that is trying to sell you something!

Old 07-27-2008, 07:20 PM

13,167 posts, read 21,744,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
If you leave a little water in a glass on the counter overnight, and you come back in the morning and there's a white sediment that looks like tiny white rocks, you've got hard water.
I concur, and think that's a very good test. When the water evaporates out, you can see exactly the amount of minerals that were in it. If you see no sediment, then your water is soft. Simple as that. Hard water will leave a surprising amount of white sediment, which gets deposited on tile and shower doors, and makes soap less effective.

Old 07-28-2008, 05:35 PM

733 posts, read 4,647,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Driller1 View Post
Hard or soft water is determined by a water analysis. Go to your heath department and get some bottles. NEVER let anyone test your water that is trying to sell you something!
BINGO! Full agreement. If you are on a public water system there are requirements for publishing water quality results. That will [should?] have the water hardness noted in the reports. If you don't have a test done per Driller's recommendation, at least go to your local waterworks and get their report and hardness information.

Old 07-28-2008, 08:00 PM

48,505 posts, read 96,629,449 times
Those white sediments maybe stuff other than minerals which makes the water hard also.

Old 07-28-2008, 08:03 PM

5,641 posts, read 24,892,362 times
- Hard water is water that contains an appreciative quantity of dissolved minerals (like calcium and magnesium)

-Soft water is treated water in which the only ion is sodium.

As rainwater falls, it is naturally soft. However, as water makes its way through the ground and into our waterways, it picks up minerals like chalk, lime and mostly calcium and magnesium. Since hard water contains essential minerals, it is sometimes the preferred drinking water, not only because of the health benefits, but also the flavor. On the other hand, soft water tastes salty and is sometimes not suitable for drinking. So why, then, do we soften our water?

When it boils down, the major difference between hard and soft water can best be seen while doing household chores. Hard water is to blame for dingy looking clothes, dishes with spots and residue and bathtubs with lots of film and soap scum. Even hair washed in hard water may feel sticky and look dull. Hard water can take a toll on household appliances as well, using up more energy. The elements of hard water are to blame for all of these negative factors, as soap is less effective due to its reaction to the magnesium and calcium. The lather is not as rich and bubbly.

Water quality information- hard and soft water explained

Old 07-28-2008, 08:17 PM

24,834 posts, read 37,255,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdelena View Post
- Hard water is water that contains an appreciative quantity of dissolved minerals (like calcium and magnesium)

-Soft water is treated water in which the only ion is sodium.

As rainwater falls, it is naturally soft. However, as water makes its way through the ground and into our waterways, it picks up minerals like chalk, lime and mostly calcium and magnesium. Since hard water contains essential minerals, it is sometimes the preferred drinking water, not only because of the health benefits, but also the flavor. On the other hand, soft water tastes salty and is sometimes not suitable for drinking. So why, then, do we soften our water?

When it boils down, the major difference between hard and soft water can best be seen while doing household chores. Hard water is to blame for dingy looking clothes, dishes with spots and residue and bathtubs with lots of film and soap scum. Even hair washed in hard water may feel sticky and look dull. Hard water can take a toll on household appliances as well, using up more energy. The elements of hard water are to blame for all of these negative factors, as soap is less effective due to its reaction to the magnesium and calcium. The lather is not as rich and bubbly.

Water quality information- hard and soft water explained
You do know that is an ad??? Right????
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House