Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2008, 06:43 AM

12,054 posts, read 23,244,218 times

Advertisements

Any time you share a common wall, you will hear the neighbors. I lived in a townhouse for years and could hear the neighbors open their bathroom cabinet. Inside, no one will smell your cigar smoke. Outside is different. A friend who was looking for a home several years ago told me that she would never live in a condo or townhouse because you never knew what the neighbors were doing. She was afraid someone would fall asleep with a lighted cigarette and cause a fire.

With the prices of home dropping so significantly, look for a small single family home. You can easily get your garage and have a nice yard for parties. Just remember that home owners associations have rules, so maybe look in an area without one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2008, 02:07 PM

2,976 posts, read 13,338,750 times
There are townhouses and then there are townhouses - meaning you can get a 900 sq ft or a 4000 sq. ft. Examine the level of privacy you need and if you think you are going to live there there for a number of years. Then do some research on acoustic tiles and sound proofing your walls plus ensuring you have a tight seal on all common walls. Also adding additional insulation between walls and/or upgrading to a more dense product.

Old 09-13-2008, 02:22 PM

253 posts, read 805,408 times
I agree w/ you. But how much different is living in a townhouse than living in an apartment building. I've lived in a building for 20 yrs and the only complain I had were when residents opened their apt. doors while cooking (the smell stays in the hallways and depending on whose cooking what, it gets annoying). I can only hear the people above when they vacuum but that's about all.

If I can find a decent SFH in my price range, believe me I will consider it first.

Old 03-09-2013, 10:37 AM

1,956 posts, read 4,861,102 times
How much of a maintenance fee do you have to pay a month? Is there property tax? If so, is it alot if money? My mom and I are going to move and we just want to get am affordable place to live in SI.

Old 03-09-2013, 11:33 AM

4,792 posts, read 8,149,958 times
The great thing about townhouses is each shared wall helps to cut down on your heating/air conditioning cost.The bad thing is you have NO CONTOL on what happens on the other side of those walls.

Old 03-09-2013, 02:50 PM

6,776 posts, read 11,408,854 times
One thing no one has mentioned is the floor plan of the unit in regards to noise. If your common wall is a garage, or maybe even the kitchens/baths, etc. you will probably have much less noise than if your living rooms are back to back. Quality of contruction will make a big difference.

I used to live in a townhouse and I only time I heard my neighbor was when their dryer was running, which was on the common wall (my living room was on my side). And that wasn't too bad.

Old 03-09-2013, 04:45 PM

10,447 posts, read 49,524,546 times
Looks like a veteran poster opened a thread by accident that was first opened during the Doo Wap era. I'm sure the OP has moved on since that post.

Old 03-09-2013, 10:14 PM

17,412 posts, read 65,576,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony22 View Post
How much of a maintenance fee do you have to pay a month? Is there property tax? If so, is it alot if money? My mom and I are going to move and we just want to get am affordable place to live in SI.
You should ask this question in the NYC forum-
I'm sure you'll get a better response; maybe even from people who live on Staten Island.

Old 03-09-2013, 10:44 PM

3,836 posts, read 5,732,679 times
We previously lived in two different charming historic SF detached homes - 1 was a 1920's craftsman bungalow, the other a nicely built early 50s charmer....we just traded up to a brand new modern row home.

Personally, I love it! We live in a great area of town, sf homes would cost about 200k-300K more than what we paid for similar sf and finish out.

Gave up a large yard for a small patio adjacent to 170acres of maintained parks, trails, lakes w/ducks and geese to feed. Ask me if I miss yard work...I dare you.

As for noise, ha! I've never heard our neighbors one time. Not once, and my wife has super sensitive hearing...it bothers her when mice fart.

Of course, our neighbors are like us, midlife professionals, well off, no kids at home. Our row homes were built by an extremely reputable local builder who used exacting standards. Sound batting plus double layer of 5/8" Sheetrock on both sides seems to work perfectly.

5 star green and leed gold certified means super low heating/cooling bills.

Loved the craftsman, but man we spent a small fortune heating and cooling that place. Noe our heating/cooling bills combined add up to less than our cable.

I could see myself living in a SF detatched again, but you'd have to first pry me from this place with a crowbar and talk a real good game to convince me.

Old 03-15-2013, 08:04 AM

18,364 posts, read 31,448,743 times
For exactly a neighbor like you, and I'm sure your a good guy, but I would never buy a town home for fear of the neighbor next to me will want to smoke a cigar on the terrace, on the stoop, any where outside that it will effect my home.,and then I have to smell it when my windows are open.

My BIL smokes cigars too, and I wouldnt even want to have a neighbor like him either.....

I also would not want to hear you and your buddies playing poker at 3am either, and when it is 3am and all is quiet the sound will travel...

You need to have a house with no neighbors on either side, that would be the best thing

cigar smoke is offensive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House