Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2017, 09:36 PM

314 posts, read 555,021 times

Advertisements

Is it worth buying a townhome for $200k, when the average single-family home in the same areas goes for $300k?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2017, 12:55 AM

7,448 posts, read 7,586,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by youngprodigy21 View Post
Is it worth buying a townhome for $200k, when the average single-family home in the same areas goes for $300k?
Instead of trying to revive a long dormant thread you should consider starting a new thread in the Real Estate forum.

Old 12-04-2017, 06:57 AM

11,230 posts, read 9,321,790 times
I know it's a necrothread, but just bear in mind that if you share walls, you will always have the risk that Sammy Subwoofer will move in next door. I assure you there is no construction that will stop the transmission of bass notes; unless your town house is built with a pair of 8-10# concrete walls fully separated from each other, with no penetrations for wiring, AC, water pipes, etc, between each pair of units.

Old 12-04-2017, 08:46 AM

17,475 posts, read 66,045,317 times
Quote:

Well, look at it this way-
If it's the location you want to be in, and you can only afford a $200k mortgage, then yes it's worth it!

Old 12-04-2017, 11:41 PM

7,453 posts, read 4,684,019 times
Buy quality, not cheapness. Do this and townhouses are the best.

Old 12-04-2017, 11:51 PM

3,564 posts, read 1,922,182 times
Quote:
I don't know

What I do know is that your assumption that one option being objectively "better" than another is almost certainly not as true as both options having subjective pluses and minuses

Old 12-05-2017, 03:07 AM

23,219 posts, read 29,040,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pitt_transplant View Post
Get a house. I would complain about a cigar smoking,poker playing, 3 am tv blasting person. Obviously the neighbor could hear you otherwise she wouldnt of called.
Maybe she has to get up for work at 4 am and doesnt want to hear a bunch of loud crap all night.

I dont think anyone should be living with that even if you think its not a big deal.

Just imagine if a family with breathing problems moved in. Or a baby...etc.

I plan on buying a house so I dont have to question it at all.

My friend can hear everything that goes on in his townhouse just like it was some crap apartment.
If you look at so many of the housing developments here in Las Vegas, with their postage stamp yards, and houses built so close to one another you can lean out the window and shake your neighbor's hands, it makes you wonder why would you not just buy a townhouse instead. With houses that close together, you're bound to have noise problems, drifting smoke from a cigar smoker.

The quality of the townhouse construction needs to be taken into consideration, first and foremost.

I don't trust any construction post 1975, and my townhouse was built in 1970, and the stucco is so thick on the outside walls you need a concrete drill bit to drill into it. Compare that to the newer construction where you can use the thinnest of nails to penetrate the stucco.

In my 21 years, I've witnessed 2 townhouses that caught fire, and with the last one, while the fire was raging, the next door neighbor couldn't be coerced into leaving by the Fire Department.

"Why should I? There's dual cinderblock fire walls between the units! I'm going to finish watching this TV show!"

When a unit goes up in flames here, it doesn't spread!

Now! If a fire developed in one of these housing developments with houses so close together, and happening on a windy night, Poof! There goes your neighboring house as this country foolishly refuses to build houses, like in Mexico, with concrete!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House