Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-05-2008, 08:03 PM

525 posts, read 1,851,194 times

Advertisements

I currently have white tile countertops with white tile backsplash. I really don't like it but I have my house currently for sale. It got me thinking about changing my countertops.

However, I seriously think my house will sell anytime soon whether I have granite or not More then likely, I will end up staying here and wait things out.

I still want to change my countertops, but I want to be economical and get something I will be happy with.

I am looking at tile...which is not very popular here in Georgia. But I am also really liking this new HD laminate. It looks really nice, would make my kitchen look better for a much better price.

WWYD?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2008, 08:26 PM

681 posts, read 2,358,773 times
The HD laminate is nice, though I haven't known anyone to purchase it. My mom considered it but it turned out to be comparable to basic Corian so she got Corian instead.

I have also seen tile countertops done in granite tile - the larger 12" x 12" tiles. It looks pretty cool, actually! Maybe this could be a good cost-effective choice? Check out these pics:

Google Image Result for http://img138.imageshack.us/img138/3989/4ia6.jpg

Old 08-06-2008, 09:03 PM

250 posts, read 1,014,199 times
Oh, PLEASE don't choose the granite tile...as a Realtor, it's SO disappointing to see that in a kitchen! I'd much rather see you use a granite-look laminate. There are some really nice choices now.

Old 08-06-2008, 10:59 PM

855 posts, read 2,395,816 times
We actually ordered a new countertop a couple of days ago. We were looking at the high definition laminate but ended up going with a premium. Not because it was less but my wife saw several samples at the website that she liked and they didn't have them at our local HD. The one she liked out of the available choices just turned out to be less expensive. It was about $60 cheaper in the end. Not what you would call a large amount but if you're trying to be economical it makes a difference.

I've seen the granite tile thing done on TV and it looks nice, but at the same time you do notice the seams and sometimes I think it might give the impression that you're trying to go high end without actually making the investment. Sort of like painting old cabinet hardware instead of buying new. Just my opinion.

Old 08-07-2008, 06:15 AM

50,335 posts, read 63,906,560 times
If I were looking for a house, any kind of tiles on a counter top would be a negative. To me, it looks like they were too cheap or lazy to do a proper surface.

Old 08-07-2008, 08:09 AM

955 posts, read 3,647,647 times
We have HD laminate in our new house and I really do like it!

Old 08-07-2008, 05:34 PM

525 posts, read 1,851,194 times
Thanks for the advice...I am leaning toward HD laminate...some folks have suggested Corian as another alternative.

If only money wasn't an issue
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House