Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2008, 09:51 AM

5,168 posts, read 11,437,138 times

Advertisements

Thanks to you all! I really appreciate all your input! I'll try some of the suggestions and go from there.

forum rules, please read them
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2008, 11:49 AM

3,020 posts, read 25,730,853 times
Default Yeah, you do need to understand the causes....

In those types of problems, you do need to understand the causes. Also some knowledge of the construction used is essential.

In the ceiling if the problem is caused by loading / flexing usually if it is drywall type covering you will get screw pops as well as seam cracking which is a tip off to the cause being excessive flexing of some type.

I had that problem in a previous house. The old attic was not designed for access or storage, thin 2 x 4 joists. I made the attic into a walk in and experienced cracking in the old plaster ceilings below. Solution was to beef up the framing and then install a pretty heafty plywood floor, even with that you did have to use care in walking around up there. The mesh coating did solve the problem once the framing was brought up to snuff, I never replaced the plaster.

If you have old plaster, you can check if the combs that bind it to the lathe has broken loosed. Press in on the plaster with a flat hand hard, if the plaster has noticeable movement, the combs are probably toast and nothing is holding it. You will get a lot of cracking in that situation. Best solution at that point is to rip it out or cover with sheetrock.

If the original framing structure was too light can be another underlying cause. Nothing probably will work until that is addressed. Such as too narrow floor joists or too wide a spacing. If things flex too much, no amount of patching or covering techniques work for long. But the method I described before is pretty bullet proof if there are no underlying causes.

Good thicker sheetrock is probably the best bet if the structure flexs too much. I would try a double mesh on the seams. Standard for the first coat and then something like at least 6 inches wide over than area with a good fill coat like used on blueboard. Would want the mesh like used in roofing for the final coat.

I've done those types of fixes on houses where they were close to rock quarries and the shocks from repeating blasting that caused sheetrock seams to crack. It did pretty well fix the problems and make the joints crackproof.

Old 10-17-2009, 06:55 PM

4 posts, read 37,004 times
Default Yes Yes Yes they can be fixed !

Katzenfreund

I know you have gotten a lot of advice here, and some quite good.

I am going to tell you however, that no one has really hit the nail on the head.

Your ceiling cracks will keep on coming back unless you solve the underlying problem. You have an undersupported plaster ceiling system, something typical in plaster houses from the 1920's to late 50's.

And it could be dangerous.

My credentials? I have a degree in Architecture, but through a twisted turn of events found myself restoring plaster professionally for the last too many years. And in that time I have found out a thing or two...

I am also a liscenced home inspector. About inspectors, many came from the construction feild, but are naturally more knowlegable about the areas in which they worked. Most electricians turned inspector are going to run rings around me when it comes to electrical

My thing was plaster problems.

Your plaster ceiling is what I call a 'Transitional Ceiling'. I have written extensively about this potentially dangerous issue on my website, and rather than me having to cut and paste, you may go to estateplaster.com to find out more.

Be sure to read the stories about collapsed ceilings while you are there.

After you read up on my info, I would be glad to speak with you about what we can do to remedy the situation, and possibly get your homeowners insurance to pay for it.

Unless you want to do it yourself. In that case I would be glad to act as a consultant.

Looking forward to hearing from you.

Sincerly, Philip
Estate Plaster, Inc.

Old 10-18-2009, 04:52 AM

2,903 posts, read 12,532,935 times
Phillip,
Very nice website with helpful info.........

As a Mod here, I appreciate your willingness to help others and not just try to post an ad.

Your plasterwork is quite impressive. I agree with your info on transitional ceilings. I have fixed these in the past by first checking the integrity of the joists for flex, cracking, etc. Then carefully screwing ceiling down each joist with longer, coarse thread screws, taping and mudding, etc. I'm sure you may have some even better techniques.

On a slightly different subject, when removing popcorn ceilings, do you prefer the dry or wet method? I may be doing some of this in my Florida home.

Frank

Old 11-01-2009, 07:11 AM

4 posts, read 37,004 times
You have essentially the correct idea on how to remedy 'transitional' ceilings.

As far as the popcorn ceilings, I like to wet them to eliminate as much dust as possible. Some of these ceilings have asbestos, at least I have been told. So, no dust is the best way to go for me. I try to avoid breathing all dust that may be related to my work anyway.

Old 11-01-2009, 08:59 AM

2,903 posts, read 12,532,935 times
Thank you Phillip!

Frank
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House