Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2008, 01:01 PM

65 posts, read 299,887 times

Advertisements

Hi- we just bought a home- it has asbestos floor tiles upstairs- we had them tested, and it was confirmed. Is it best to just carpet over the tiles or remove them? these tiles are breaking and in bad shape-
I also contacted an asbestos removal company and they charge 1.50$ a sq. foot to remove the tiles- we have about 500 sq. ft of the tiles.

If we remove them ourselves are we jepordizing our health?
If we did it ourselves, would a mask and a lot of ventilation do the trick- whats the deal?
Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2008, 01:19 PM

7,577 posts, read 22,606,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rheannad View Post
Hi- we just bought a home- it has asbestos floor tiles upstairs- we had them tested, and it was confirmed. Is it best to just carpet over the tiles or remove them? these tiles are breaking and in bad shape-
I also contacted an asbestos removal company and they charge 1.50$ a sq. foot to remove the tiles- we have about 500 sq. ft of the tiles.

If we did it ourselves, would a mask and a lot of ventilation do the trick- whats the deal?
Thanks!
I don't recommend it. It's the fibers that are dangerous... even if you have a mask, the fibers will linger in the air as well as sticking to your clothes. For $750.00..use the professionals.

Old 08-18-2008, 07:16 PM

Location: Sometimes Maryland, sometimes NoVA. Depends on the day of the week
1,501 posts, read 11,752,493 times
encapsulation is a valid method to deal with asbestos, but since you said they are already breaking up and in "bad shape," I would go with professional replacement. I wouldn't think carpet would be encapsulation since the fibers might could pass through it. And, even though I am an avid DIYer, I wouldn't touch damaged asbestos.

Here are the EPA guidelines: Asbestos in Your Home | Asbestos | US EPA

A mask alone wouldn't be enough for asbestos. You need a full on P100 respirator. But fibers could still be released into the air, get into your ducts, etc.

Old 08-18-2008, 07:36 PM

Default asbestos

Hi guys- thanks for the feedback- i think the best idea is to have them professionally removed- i did look at the epa website- I wasn't sure that carpet would encapsulate the asbestos, so its time to call the professionals- its all about putting into prespective- 750 bucks or illnes!
thanks

Old 08-18-2008, 07:40 PM

7,577 posts, read 22,606,032 times
Quote:
Hi guys- thanks for the feedback- i think the best idea is to have them professionally removed- i did look at the epa website- I wasn't sure that carpet would encapsulate the asbestos, so its time to call the professionals- its all about putting into prespective- 750 bucks or illnes!
thanks

Good decision . 750 vs. a life time of illness and medical bills..hummm - no brainer!

Old 08-18-2008, 08:29 PM

Location: Sometimes Maryland, sometimes NoVA. Depends on the day of the week
1,501 posts, read 11,752,493 times
Thanks to your motivation, I just discovered I can have our tiles tested for $30. They are in good condition, and we were going to encapsulate them anyway (skim coat then cork). But for $30, I'll test them and maybe skip the skim coat

Old 08-19-2008, 08:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubytue View Post
Thanks to your motivation, I just discovered I can have our tiles tested for $30. They are in good condition, and we were going to encapsulate them anyway (skim coat then cork). But for $30, I'll test them and maybe skip the skim coat

great- i used a lab based out of seattle wa- i mailed the tiles in on a Wednesday and got a phone call and emailed report on Monday! very fast, and it was only 30$ too!

Old 08-20-2008, 07:43 AM

13,648 posts, read 20,775,774 times
I have them in my 50s era basement. My inspector said they are harmless as long as they are just lying there. When renovation time comes, he recommended just pouring a new floor over the old one as removing them is dangerous. But should you want them removed, you are right to hire pros.

Old 08-20-2008, 07:50 AM

672 posts, read 5,822,348 times
Quote:

Thanks!
At what point after you bought the house did you find about about the tiles? How did you find out? Did you find out during the inspection? Would this have been a deal-breaker for you if you knew about them before you bought the house?

Old 08-20-2008, 07:50 AM

8,309 posts, read 38,776,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wileynj View Post
I don't recommend it. It's the fibers that are dangerous... even if you have a mask, the fibers will linger in the air as well as sticking to your clothes. For $750.00..use the professionals.
This is excellent advice. You best option is to spend the $750 for professional abatement. Your second best option is to just carpet over them. The old Vinyl Asbestos Tiles are only about 2% asbestos and the fibers generally remain locked up in the tiles unless you do something rash like start chipping them up, breaking them into little pieces and stirring up a lot of dust with heavy ventilation.

Mesothelioma - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

read this over, then think about how much it would really hurt to spend $750.00. Sounds pretty reasonable to me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House