U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 10-20-2011, 10:46 AM

1,323 posts, read 2,247,632 times

Advertisements

when i moved into my house 1 rug had a nasty pet like smell to it. i have been in the house 1.5 years now and i have steam cleaned the carpet before, but it still kind of smells at times. i am starting to wonder if it may be a mold smell coming from under the carpet. the room is partially underground, on a concrete slab.
Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2011, 12:36 AM

5,262 posts, read 8,253,981 times
Ask around your area. Smaller carpet cleaner businesses do not charge that much. The large companies will charge up to a couple hundred dollars. I had this great guy that only charged 35 bucks. Every spring I had him clean the carpets. Far less work then renting a machine, lugging it home and all the hassle.

Old 10-24-2011, 03:27 AM

3,383 posts, read 3,497,051 times
You can rent carpet shampooers from like Lowes for $50 for a day. I prefer the one from Bissel. They have pet odor chemicals for shampooers.

Hit the floors. They also make powder pet odor stuff to sprinkle on. But I wouldn't do this until the carpets have well dried.

Old 10-24-2011, 07:43 PM

1,420 posts, read 2,068,953 times
I bought a foreclosure home with 5 year old carpet that was filthy and I expected to replace. I had the house professionally cleaned (about $700 for 4000 sq ft of carpet and tile/grout cleaning) and everything came almost perfectly clean, including them removing several unknown red, blue and green stains throughout the house carpet.

The ONLY exception was a small utility room that had been used as a dog's holding room, including a doggie door to the back yard. This room had serious pet odor and even after the cleaners best attempts, the room still smelled rank. I cut and pulled up the carpet and pad (disgusting). Even after this, it still smelled rank. I bleached the concrete and walls and repainted. It smells like a new room now, but any pet urine that has soaked the carpet pad and touched concrete is going to be a challenge to eliminate with simple carpet cleaning.

Old 10-25-2011, 09:29 PM

4,048 posts, read 3,446,845 times
If it is dog or especially cat urine stink, nothing you do and no product will get it out of the carpet or padding.
I moved in an apartment where the previous tenant had a cat. There was a litter box in a bedroom closet. The first time it rained, I smelled it. I tried every method, every product. Nothing got rid of the stench.

Old 10-26-2011, 09:36 AM

3,286 posts, read 5,239,541 times
There's a product called "Out!" at Walmart. Has a pink top. After cleaning it, spray the Out! I am not sure if every Walmart carries it though; I have seen it in NJ but not VA.

The price is reasonable and I think it works better than Nature's Miracle. Good luck!

Old 10-28-2011, 01:57 PM

35,568 posts, read 43,752,701 times
Others have advised correctly about urine that has seeped down into the carpet padding (or even down into the subflooring). Nothing to do but rip it up, bleach the floor (I also have used Lysol Concentrate on subflooring and it has worked).

Now - if you have only surface stains (the urine did not seep further down into the carpet pad) . . . there is an odor killer that has worked for me for many years. I have tried all the products others have mentioned and they didn't do anything to really eliminate the odor. A friend suggested I use Spray N Wash - the green bottle. They may have more than one scent now - I use the original scent.

You might want to get the refill big bottle, shake well, and just pour the liquid onto the carpet, then rub it in well w/ a cloth . . . and let it sit. I have also just sprayed areas if I suspected the urine was only on the top fibres of the carpet or rug.

After it has sat for 30 mins or so, take a white towel (so you can bleach the towel later - I always use white towels to get up stains) and rub over the spots. Don't worry about rinsing with water unless you had to put on a lot of the solution.

Spray N Wash, unlike every commercial carpet spray I have used, doesn't leave a residue - AND it takes out any other type of soil from a carpet/rug. It will leave the carpet smelling very fresh.

I also use Spray N Wash on any upholstery as a pre-treatment b/f I steam clean upholstered furniture. Sometimes, if I spray it on a stain on upholstery, it comes clean immediately and I don't even have to do further cleaning.

Good luck!

Old 10-28-2011, 02:14 PM

2,356 posts, read 3,676,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sueinge View Post
We just moved into a house and the carpet has a slight pet smell. Will steam cleaning it get rid of the smell? Any pet owners with advice? I really don't want to spend the money to have it professionally cleaned if I don't have to! Thanks!
Hey that was my house !!

Baking Soda... tried it.
Professional cleaners... tried it.

What you need to know is that if its urine, then its in the padding now. And whatever you are doing from up above is not going to help. Also animals shed skin (which has oil) and it sticks to the carpet and if its a dog then to the bottom 6 inches of walls because they love to curl up against it. If you can afford it, change the carpet.

When I changed it, I could see maps of different countries and continents on the under side of the carpets as they were ripping it out. It was totally worth it. The winter is here and everything, you might just feel the smell is gone after a treatment..... oh boy wait till summer comes along !!
Good luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House