Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2008, 11:48 PM

8,200 posts, read 35,453,643 times

Advertisements

I read some of the previous threads on metal roofs and they were very helpful .

I need to put a new roof on my house, and I'm deciding between asphalt shingles or a metal roof. Aesthetically, and from a green perspective, I'm really drawn to the metal roof. Here is my scenario:

House: 1940's postwar

Roof: Currently asphalt shingles, maybe 20-25 years old. Roof slope is a low slung hip roof (unsure of ratio).

Condition: Not so good. 2-3 small leaks over garage, not much water gets through, but I can see at least one wood plank is probably going to need replacing...the decking is not particleboard, it's heavy wood planks (some even have bark on them ).

A family member has offered to put a roof on for us and said it's easier for him to put a metal roof on, we plan to do this in one weekend (it's a small house). He's not set on metal though, he'd do asphalt too if it makes more sense.

My questions:

1) My family member suggested, and I saw it mentioned in a previous thread here as well, to leave the asphalt shingles on and install the metal over them. I know this helps with the noise factor, is there any other benefit? What about the condition of the shingles, does it matter? Mine are pretty bad (brittle, lost granules, etc.).

2) I need to provide the supplies and I've never bought metal roofing before, any ideas where to start on that? Are there some well-known manufacturer names I should consider?

Any other tips, ideas, comments are welcome .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2008, 05:12 AM

9,124 posts, read 36,377,466 times
I can't imagine putting a metal roof over the existing shingles- they wouldn't be flat enough to provide full support for the panels. You'd also be covering rotten sheathing at the leaking areas, which is a bad idea. Lastly, you'd have no way to install proper flashings at valleys, penetrations, etc., with the shingles underneath.

If your "family member" doesn't know where you should go to purchase the materials for this project, he's probably not someone I'd trust with such a major undertaking- this isn't something to take lightly. Bear in mind that many residential metal roofing contractors fabricate their own material from coil stock (similar to seamelss gutters), so you may not readily find a supplier who can sell you what you need.

Old 08-27-2008, 05:37 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,771,962 times
Get a book that tells you how to do metal roofing
Read it
Strip the existing asphalt roof shingle and dispose of properly (some old shingles contain asbestos)
Repair any damaged roof boards
Get case of good beer and two comfortable lawn chairs
Watch qualified contractor install new metal roof.

No you cannot easily replace a roof. Been there, done that.

Old 08-27-2008, 06:53 AM

15,205 posts, read 12,070,010 times
Just my 2 cents. Why not put steel panels over an existing roof....You should strip with 1 x 4's screwed ( not nailed) every 2' across the 3' span anyways.....
Here in TN there are a lot of places that will take the rollstock and form and cut the panels to length for ya then deliver them to your location....

Old 08-27-2008, 07:06 AM

9,124 posts, read 36,377,466 times
Bear in mind also that the OP is in Jacksonville, FL, and should really make sure he hires a reputable roofer if for no other reason than to make sure that the roof stays on during the next hurricane..........

Old 08-27-2008, 07:12 AM

3,041 posts, read 7,933,545 times
I am 100 percent handyman but would leave this to licensed proffesional.I did it on my 12 by 24 building on 24" o.c.on 1 by 4 perlins,no problem.With your structure you could have a whole bunch of problems.On another bldg. I had contractor place three quarter inch foam panels panels between 1X4 perlims,made a world of difference in attic.

Old 08-27-2008, 07:29 AM

15,205 posts, read 12,070,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobKovacs View Post
Bear in mind also that the OP is in Jacksonville, FL, and should really make sure he hires a reputable roofer if for no other reason than to make sure that the roof stays on during the next hurricane..........
Good point Bob....

Old 08-27-2008, 07:49 AM

7,099 posts, read 27,180,644 times
If your family member suggested leaving the old shingles on, then that's a very good sign that he really doesn't have the proper experience to do a good job. Your roof joists may not be strong enough to carry the additional weight. You would be hiding potential bad spots that need replacing.

And if it leaks.....are you prepared to make him come do the job over? Hire a reputable firm. Ask their advice about their experience of metal versus shingles in a lot of wind.

Old 08-27-2008, 10:13 AM

4,705 posts, read 25,296,788 times
Red Flag! Red Flag! Red Flag!
Warning Will Robinson Warning!!!!

Got your attention?? Hope so. So many things about your post just send huge warning signs.
1. Family member doing to work.
2. Putting metal roof over a bad shingle roof.
3. Doing roofing yourself in a hurricane area.
4. Hip roof

That said....IF your family member is a licensed roofer, experienced with metal roofing, then all flags are taken down. Have him go at it.

A hip roof is a lot harder to do than a standard gable roof,
The points of penetration are a factor to deal with on metal roofs. They are tricky, and can be a huge problem if done wrong.

My advice is to get a professional roofer and have them do the job. The biggest problem using a family member (even if qualified) is when a leak shows up.

I really like Greg's advice about the lawn chairs. I once took chairs up on my roof to watch a professional take out a 70 foot palm tree out of our back yard with very little room to drop the sections. GET A PRO!!

Old 08-27-2008, 03:46 PM

8,200 posts, read 35,453,643 times
Okay, my fault, I should have explained more in the original post but I didn't want to make the post too lengthy......

I am in Florida and the family member (nephew) is in Florida. He is not a professional roofer, but he does hold a contractor's license. He's been building houses in Florida since he was a kid and all the houses are still standing, hurricanes and all .

We would of course remove the shingles and replace whatever is necessary in the leaking spots, but I think his thought about leaving the shingles in place is for noise reduction and to save time. He'll be doing this project in one weekend (he has a full time job during the week and lives quite a distance from me).

My nephew is a man of few words , so what he said was "you get the supplies, I'll roof the house". He's not the type to steer me towards a particular product, he'd rather I choose what I'm happy with and he'll do the work.

I did get an estimate from a professional roofer a few months back, and I expected to be able to hire that roofer by now, but my funds are tied up elsewhere and I can't bear to put a roof on credit in the meantime, not when the only real issue is a few small leaks in the garage (I don't even need a bucket they're so small). We were joking around with the nephew and he said "I'll put a roof on for you, no problem", so that's what got us started on the idea.

Honestly, I think he can do a good job, I've seen his roofs. I'm far more worried about my current roof than any roof he would put on .

So I should forget about the idea of keeping any of the shingles on the house? Really, this was my thinking as well, but my husband wants "fast and easy" and he thought the noise control would be a benefit (some people do leave them on, right?). I can veto that plan and insist we remove all shingles if that's what is best.

Does anyone have a favorite metal roof manufacturer?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House