Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2009, 09:26 PM

19,743 posts, read 22,645,978 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ducter View Post
I agree mostly with bta but would like to add the following:

Be aware that some "wood" prodcuts are nothing like standard wood or plywood. OSB, Advantach osb, mdf along with others do not stand up to water anywhere near towhat standard plywood and lumber do.
I would take Advantech over standard plywood any day of the week. Our last house was custom built and had two stories floored with Advantech. T&G and VERY weather resistant. We got hit with a NASTY spell of snow and then rain- 20" of snow sat on the exposed flooring for several weeks and it never, ever showed. Damn good material in my book.

Last edited by Threerun; 02-25-2009 at 09:34 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2009, 09:30 PM

45,218 posts, read 100,700,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dalssunil View Post
Hi All,
I'm new to this thread, but i need help please help me out> actually I'm buying a new construction house and the builder has not put any vanity mirror and vanity lights in the bathroom. I'm first time buyer and i don't know the specifics, i guess builder has to provide vanity mirror and vanity light in bathrooms. A quick response will be appreciated as builders wants to do final walk trough on Monday 3/2/09...

Thanks,
The vanity and light fixtures are pretty standard in a home - maybe he just hasn't gotten around to installing them yet? HAVE YOU ASKED HIM WHERE THEY ARE? Also, what does your realtor say?

Old 02-25-2009, 09:33 PM

19,743 posts, read 22,645,978 times
The pro's and con's mentioned earlier are very true, but if you build a true custom home, you can really come out ahead in quality AND performance. We paid a bit more on our last house, but boy oh boy was it built like a tank. energy efficient, custom wood floors from a Mennonite mill, Low-E Pella windows, solid wood doors, high grade trim, insulated to the max...

We now live in a home built in 1970. Mostly brick with aluminum siding on the second story exterior. It is also built like a tank, but it's no where as efficient as our last house. We spend easily 50% more on utility costs here than our last house. Max R-7 in the walls, older double pane windows (still drafty), exterior doors are drafty and need replacing, attic was floored and maybe had R-17 max insulation, interior doors are craptastic luan.. Sure it has nice wood trim, brick details and what-not, but it also needs new kitchen cabinets, flooring, and bathrooms need to be redone.

It was cheaper to buy this house than a comparable new one, but it's gonna cost me 30K to whip it into shape.

BUT- I have a really great lot and view in a great section of town, mature trees and lot's of room in the house. So net/net- it's all a trade off.

Old 02-27-2009, 08:20 AM
GMU

56 posts, read 552,875 times
Owned 2 older and now bought new. Think we both enjoy new much better, although definitely a tradeoff. Biggest con to new is the cookie-cutter concept, and lack of mature trees. Also, any newer home I've seen has a TINY garage. It is like a game of Tetris just to be able to squeeze two small to midsize cars in the garage, in addition to a large trash can and few tools. No room for bikes, large tools, have to hang all those on the wall! Older homes seem to have 2' wider and 2' deeper garages, I miss that 80 extra square feet!

Old 02-27-2009, 08:33 AM

9,480 posts, read 12,112,414 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dalssunil View Post
Hi All,
I'm new to this thread, but i need help please help me out> actually I'm buying a new construction house and the builder has not put any vanity mirror and vanity lights in the bathroom. I'm first time buyer and i don't know the specifics, i guess builder has to provide vanity mirror and vanity light in bathrooms. A quick response will be appreciated as builders wants to do final walk trough on Monday 3/2/09...

Thanks,

If you are doing your final walk-thru on the second and the vanity lights and mirror have yet to be installed, make mention of it and ask the builder when they will be put in. You should not be at the stage of a final walk-thru without all things associated with the build being completed. When we build, it is our electrician who supplys the mirror, (unless client buys their own-otherwise it's a basic mirror supplied by electrician) and they install it when they install the vanity light. After checking your contract and talking to the builder, you may find that you are getting only a ceiling light...maybe a mirror and vanity light were never specified?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House