Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which of the following activities would bother you, if your next-door neighbor was to do them?
Hang clothes outside 37 12.33%
Leave kid's toys outside 49 16.33%
Work on trucks / cars in the open 51 17.00%
Plant a vegetable garden in plain view 18 6.00%
Plant a vegetable garden out of plain view, but within your view 7 2.33%
Change their shades to an unconventional color 20 6.67%
Change their house color to an unconventional color 103 34.33%
Install lawn ornaments 50 16.67%
Install a large roof-top antenna 58 19.33%
Install a ham radio antenna tower (50 - 70' tall) 129 43.00%
Leave a car or RV parked outside 49 16.33%
Leave a boat parked outside 66 22.00%
Leave a non-running car in their yard, out of plain view 71 23.67%
Leave a non-running car in their yard, within plain view 181 60.33%
Regularly run a loud car audio system with heavy bass 245 81.67%
Run a small cafe from their house 159 53.00%
Shoot off rifles / guns for target practice during daytime hours 217 72.33%
Shoot off rifles / guns for target practice at night 250 83.33%
Install political protest signs in plain street view 79 26.33%
Put up a flag in plain street view 9 3.00%
Drink on their front porch 30 10.00%
Smoke cigarettes on their front porch 39 13.00%
Smoke weed on their front porch 153 51.00%
Hang clothes outside 37 12.33%
Have a garage sale 15 5.00%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 300. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2008, 11:41 PM

7,639 posts, read 18,116,906 times

Advertisements

Homeowner association rules and deed restrictions, not to mention municipal zoning laws, often prohibit certain activities on one's private property, usually on the basis that they would be a nuisance to neighbors, compromise the aesthetics of the neighborhood, and lower property values (the three, of course, are tightly interconnected). So I'm asking: what are some things, especially from the poll, that would bother you if your neighbor was to do them?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2008, 04:59 AM

43,266 posts, read 77,043,330 times
Nice to see that the first six respondents have decent "live and let live" philosophies.
They might just make me good neighbors!

Old 08-29-2008, 05:00 AM

203 posts, read 927,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tvdxer View Post
Homeowner association rules and deed restrictions, not to mention municipal zoning laws, often prohibit certain activities on one's private property, usually on the basis that they would be a nuisance to neighbors, compromise the aesthetics of the neighborhood, and lower property values (the three, of course, are tightly interconnected). So I'm asking: what are some things, especially from the poll, that would bother you if your neighbor was to do them?
Well, i'm guessing firearms would bother most people?! i also voted against pot smoking but i'd rather have em on the porch then driving around. And any type of loud noises especially during the quiet hours.

Old 08-29-2008, 06:03 AM

94 posts, read 763,123 times
I thought about voting for the HAM radio antenna but then decided it would be better they have a large lightning rod at their home and spare my trees

Old 08-29-2008, 06:04 AM

4,897 posts, read 18,486,068 times
i think it is trashy to drink and or smoke in the front of the house. why in the world do people even sit in the front of the house if they have a back yard? i can understand if they want to sit and read or watch from their front porch.
i have neghbors who have had parties and bbq'd in the front while having a loud party. they do not have a front porch! they have a backyard! yes i would still hear them in the back, but at least the front of the house would look nice and like it's a nice family nieghborhood!

Old 08-29-2008, 06:06 AM

Location: Sometimes Maryland, sometimes NoVA. Depends on the day of the week
1,501 posts, read 11,750,050 times
You have "hang clothes outside" on the list twice. My first thought was you must really hate that LOL But your doesn't include "park a commercial van in their driveway." Our last HOA got onto us b/c my husband parked his electrical van at home rather than on the main street (where its an open invitation for thieves). Ug!

We have a clothesline, and a large veggie garden. His current job doesn't provide a take-home truck We have a couple of garden gnomes, a non-running boat (is that worse than a boat and a non-running car?!). But thats about it

Old 08-29-2008, 06:33 AM

5,987 posts, read 11,670,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rubytue View Post
You have "hang clothes outside" on the list twice. My first thought was you must really hate that LOL But your doesn't include "park a commercial van in their driveway." Our last HOA got onto us b/c my husband parked his electrical van at home rather than on the main street (where its an open invitation for thieves). Ug!
It could be worse. My HOA rules do not allow commercial vans on driveway. Village passed a law that does not allow parking on street overnight. Employer is 800 miles away. I quit working and started living off the gov't. Actually I retired and get a SS check every month. Employer would have paid for parking at a remote location.

I don't care what my neighbors do. It's their property. If something is interfering with my morning or afternoon nap I will knock on their door or call and politely ask them if they could wait until I get my beauty rest. If they tell me the beauty rest isn't doing any good I will call the police.

Old 08-29-2008, 07:16 AM

20,958 posts, read 45,383,992 times
From discussions I've read here and elsewhere, it appears that having a HOA just might be becoming the new thing that lowers property values, with so many people saying that, because of the many cases of HOA's getting too big for their britches, they don't, don't, DON'T, want to live in a neighborhood that has one.

There are a few things on the list that would bother me. The loud noise from the car stereo (I was traumatized while living in the city by having a neighbor that had guests that would come and visit, all leave their car stereos on LOUD every afternoon, and each one had different music playing) would. In the example, I simply realized that it was a cultural difference, I was the only one that it bothered, and I moved - problem solved.

Target shooting at night would, simply because I like for people to be able to see what they're shooting at - it's a safety issue. (By the way, rifles are guns.) Target shooting during the day, not a problem. (Now, granted, I live in the country.)

None of the rest particularly bothers me, because I hold to the American creed that it's none of my business unless they're doing it in MY yard.

Old 08-29-2008, 08:00 AM

18,949 posts, read 43,571,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by findinghope View Post
i think it is trashy to drink and or smoke in the front of the house. why in the world do people even sit in the front of the house if they have a back yard? i can understand if they want to sit and read or watch from their front porch.
i have neghbors who have had parties and bbq'd in the front while having a loud party. they do not have a front porch! they have a backyard! yes i would still hear them in the back, but at least the front of the house would look nice and like it's a nice family nieghborhood!
I hate that too. I can drive by some houses and it will be 15 people on the front porch, and it seems like it's 24/7. And they all stare too.

Painting the house a strange color bothers me too. I have seen people move into a lovely home and paint it canary yellow from top to bottom.

Old 08-29-2008, 08:28 AM

20,958 posts, read 45,383,992 times
Why does what color someone paints their house bother you? Is it that not all the houses are pretty much the same color?

I remember traveling to Mexico, and later to New Mexico, and seeing lovely, lovely houses, all different colors (pastel blues, greens, and, yes, even yellow), and thinking what a breath of fresh air it was to see some individuality expressed in such a lovely way. Colors are not "strange", they're just colors - it's the perception that's different. The people who painted that house yellow probably thought that the color it was, that you evidently liked, was strange - or boring - or something - and don't like the color YOUR house is.

Or maybe they just love a yellow house and don't think it's any of their business what color yours is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House