Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-04-2007, 06:22 AM

58 posts, read 286,361 times

Advertisements

Hi folks! We've renewed our interest in moving to Charlotte... One of the early debates we are entertaining ourselves with is the "build versus pre-owned". We've never built before, and are just wondering, at a basic level, how people have found the experience. The prospect of making all the decisions and witnessing the progress is both exciting and intimidating. Thoughts? Thanks...

Darryl
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2007, 07:06 AM

1,453 posts, read 5,129,805 times
Default Building v Buying Resale

If you want to build you may never be totally satisfied with a resale. There are some very nice resales in the area but we're also blessed with quality builders. The key is to get an agent who will research for you, help you choose a reputable builder in an area that suits your needs. The agent will go to contract with you to negotiate concessions (like price, closing costs, upgrades, etc.) and look over the contract agreement BEFORE signing. The agent should stay in touch with you and with the builder throughout the process to troubleshoot problems (and problems will arise, they always do). Issues arise even with the best builders. The key is being able to work them out diplomatically.

I've had out of town clients in the past that wanted me to go to the building site at certain stages of construction and take pictures that I e-mailed to them so that they could track the progress and put together a scrapbook of their first home. It can be a pretty exciting timel.

Old 02-04-2007, 10:08 AM

197 posts, read 732,939 times
One thing to consider with building is the lot and the trees/size of the lot etc. It is hard to find new subdivisions that have kept a lot of mature trees so you will be waiting many years for that if you like trees. Also, if you build you are getting a brand new house (plus) but are living in a construction zone for a while to come depending on how long it takes them to build out the subdivision (minus). There are pros and cons to both sides. I have friends that have built and are very happy and love their new houses and ones that have built and the builders had to buy the houses back and they had to move again becasue there were so many problmes wiht them (like kitchens falling in, foundation probems, etc) 6 mo down the road - and these were with good builders and high end homes - like MI and Orleans. Its a risk on who they hire out to actually build the home.

Old 02-04-2007, 10:41 AM

889 posts, read 3,107,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wmspeep View Post
One thing to consider with building is the lot and the trees/size of the lot etc. It is hard to find new subdivisions that have kept a lot of mature trees so you will be waiting many years for that if you like trees. Also, if you build you are getting a brand new house (plus) but are living in a construction zone for a while to come depending on how long it takes them to build out the subdivision (minus). There are pros and cons to both sides. I have friends that have built and are very happy and love their new houses and ones that have built and the builders had to buy the houses back and they had to move again becasue there were so many problmes wiht them (like kitchens falling in, foundation probems, etc) 6 mo down the road - and these were with good builders and high end homes - like MI and Orleans. Its a risk on who they hire out to actually build the home.
Or end up with a contractor who was a liar, thief and did not pay his subs, 5 days after we closed on the house ( with some things not finished)he took his own life. Thank god for Title Insurance because to date, we have five liens on the house with more comming!

Old 02-04-2007, 01:02 PM

16 posts, read 53,282 times
We built a house from scratch when we moved here. Have to say the experience was terrific. Watching all the details was exciting and our builder was nothig short of FANTASTIC! Hope you have the same results. Where were you thinking of building?

Old 02-04-2007, 01:33 PM

3,574 posts, read 14,301,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mvn2nc View Post
Or end up with a contractor who was a liar, thief and did not pay his subs, 5 days after we closed on the house ( with some things not finished)he took his own life. Thank god for Title Insurance because to date, we have five liens on the house with more comming!
OMIG-D!!!!!!! I am so sorry - what a way to start in a new location!

Old 02-04-2007, 01:40 PM

3,574 posts, read 14,301,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dzrustyfan View Post
Hi folks! We've renewed our interest in moving to Charlotte... One of the early debates we are entertaining ourselves with is the "build versus pre-owned". We've never built before, and are just wondering, at a basic level, how people have found the experience. The prospect of making all the decisions and witnessing the progress is both exciting and intimidating. Thoughts? Thanks...

Darryl
We rented until we decided that we needed more space and our situation changed. We then built - that was a few years ago. I acted as sub-contractor to an extent; my ex and I are tall and therefore wanted taller counters, etc and wanted cabinets screwed into the studs rather than nailed in - things like that. The contractor was gung-ho ubtil the remaining weeks. less enthusiasm? We built on a cost +10% basis (I came in below budget on my subs ) , we didn't part on very good terms......

Old 02-04-2007, 03:46 PM

889 posts, read 3,107,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mm_mary73 View Post
OMIG-D!!!!!!! I am so sorry - what a way to start in a new location!
Tell me about it!!!! The day before Thanksgiving to boot!

Old 02-05-2007, 09:01 AM

876 posts, read 3,778,974 times
we had ours custom built... Mid-Atlantic did it. Nice work for the money... I did not enjoy dealing with their agent though, there were alot of mistakes made, although they did correct them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House