U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 09-05-2008, 09:29 PM

77 posts, read 157,595 times

Advertisements

Ok, so I bought this house 2 1/2 years ago and it was site built. It's a nice house and I'm happy with it. HOWEVER-- in my foyer wall (which has an empty bedroom on the other side) there is an occassional thumping sound. This sound occurs mainly at night but it's not rhythmic or specifically timed. It's just a single thump then it's done. The builder has no idea what this sound could be and since it doesn't seem to be destroying the house I haven't tried to have any professionals look at it, but I'd love to hear from someone who's had this experience. Yes, I checked above it as much as I could--It's a single level home and nothing's above that area but insulation. Anybody have any ideas?
Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2008, 10:24 PM

3,031 posts, read 5,628,868 times
Pipe thumping or some part of the structure having a reaction to temperature change and making the noise.

Old 09-05-2008, 10:40 PM

11,666 posts, read 26,783,211 times
Yeah, I would agree. We have discovered that the closet door in our master bedroom will open or make a noise in the morning during certain conditions like a cold night and sunny morning. Likely you have something that expands or contracts at a different rate than what it is attached to.

Old 09-05-2008, 10:45 PM

2,830 posts, read 8,876,879 times
Does it happen all year round? Could it possibly occur when a/c is set to cooler setting for night time? Could sound be coming from duct work?

Or do you have rats?? We have had thumping sounds in our house which came from rats and raccoons. The sound was similar to the thumping sound of a dog scratching itself.

Old 09-05-2008, 11:43 PM

3,020 posts, read 16,533,392 times
Default Have there been any circus in town recently???????????

Could be a kangaroo that escaped and is living in your house. Could also be a rabbit.

Wait.......... strike the rabbit, you did say thumping not humping sound.

If it really is a kangaroo you better get a highly trained professional fast. Everybody always advises use professionals only if it is complicated or they don't really know what it is.

Old 09-06-2008, 06:09 AM

20,797 posts, read 32,235,946 times
My guess is ductwork expanding or contracting. Do you have a water softener? What time is it set to recharge? Does that time match with the thump sound?

Old 09-06-2008, 12:30 PM

3,328 posts, read 10,717,328 times
This is just a guess: is there a return near the area? It might be when the a/c comes on and the ducts will pop some. You might try to duplicate the sound by bumping the thermostat and turning the system on and off to see if you notice a similar sound. It might be a sound that you just don't notice during the day when normal sounds block out this one.

Water hammer really only occurs when water is running, so it's probably NOT that, UNLESS you have a faulty toilet flapper valve and the toilet is re-filling at odd times, and then you hear a pipe rattle. This is probably far fetched, since you would probably hear water hammer from time to time, and it's usually not just one thump, but could be with a toilet.

Occasional means what? Once a week, month, day? Every other day/night? That might help too.

Or it could be the house is just haunted.

Old 09-07-2008, 10:23 AM

77 posts, read 157,595 times
Thumbs up Kicking sound in my wall

Well, the sound does occur in my foyer wall and there is a bathroom not too far from there, but not adjoining it. The noise does not coincide with the AC/heating unit kicking on although it does occur all year. I like the idea of the contracting/expanding pipes because that means it's nothing serious. I don't have any kinds of animals living in the roof--I checked, it's pristine. Thanks, everyone

Old 09-07-2008, 10:26 AM

4,519 posts, read 8,353,714 times
Default Edgar Allen Poe

Has anyone mentioned The Telltale Heart ....????

sorry.. I had to say it...

Old 09-08-2008, 08:56 AM

153 posts, read 489,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barking Spider View Post
Water hammer really only occurs when water is running, so it's probably NOT that, UNLESS you have a faulty toilet flapper valve and the toilet is re-filling at odd times, and then you hear a pipe rattle. This is probably far fetched, since you would probably hear water hammer from time to time, and it's usually not just one thump, but could be with a toilet.
Sorry to hijack this thread, but would you mind elaborating on this idea? We are having just this problem--about half the time after we flush, all the pipes in the house start shaking violently. If we pull up the float in the toilet tank, it stops immediately. I'm afraid that we'll spring a leak if this continues. Any ideas on how to fix this? Replace the float, the tank, the whole toilet, or something else?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House