U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2008, 12:50 AM

3,020 posts, read 16,731,707 times

Advertisements

About like asking how big is BIG.

Of course you have to compare apples to apples, so the correct answer is not in time but in manhours. You got to know how many folks in the crew.

One guy might take weeks and 20 man crew might do it in a day. Again as pointed out it is so job specific as to exactly what prep is involved and what has been contracted for and the quality been desired / equipment being used.

I would guess a fair estimate might be one man day per side, once all the prep is done just to slop the paint on. So two coats would take two man days per side. One guy would take about a week to slop two coats on. About typical what I have experienced once a fellow gets down to the serious business of slopping paint on a single family house without too many hickups.

It really is that situation where a train does leave Boston backwards at 100 MPH while a tug boat departs New York harbor when does the diddle meet in the middle. Sort of nonsense. So much depends on the specifics of the job. Example if you have a truck with a bucket hoist the equation changes so greatly. Ease of access thru some type of means is half the battle.

I would not go spraying a house, especially in a built up area. Nice way to get all sorts of claims for new paint jobs on cars because they will claim to have all these tiny spots all over them. Could be for a good distance if the wind is right.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2008, 06:40 AM

3,354 posts, read 10,976,462 times
A professional grade airless has very little overspray. Shouldn't spray a house in the wind anyway.

Old 09-10-2008, 03:32 AM

691 posts, read 1,299,320 times
It could take you a day or so, or go on for months and months. I took a couple (2-3 days) of Saturdays to paint my house.
A friend of mine took all spring, summer and into the fall (and didn't finish) to paint his. Why did it take him longer? He works real slow, takes a lot of breaks, likes to drink beer, has a portable tv (to watch baseball). He forgot to pick up his plastic drop-cloths one day, unfortunately they were over his landscaping so it smothered it. So he had to pull all the dead bushes out and replace them. Its actually amazing he got any paint on the house.

Old 09-10-2008, 06:34 AM

33,864 posts, read 29,368,532 times
Beer, ladders and TV do not mix very well.

Old 09-10-2008, 07:21 AM

11,510 posts, read 8,241,587 times
Then there is a house up the road from us.
They took all spring and summer and then put the house on the market.
Looks very nice .....except for the gable peak that never got done.
Must be their ladder wasn't quite high enough

Old 09-11-2008, 04:30 PM

1 posts, read 11,970 times
Default painter

i am a irish painter in san francisco i will be willing to go cheaper than your estimates call me 415 374 3915 ask for sean. no problem travleing cheap jobs high quality.

Old 09-14-2008, 10:41 PM

4,356 posts, read 8,610,149 times
Take your time and paint it yourself. I painted the whole exterior of a 2400 SF home. It took me a couple of days off and on. First time I ever did it and came out nice.

Old 09-15-2008, 05:53 AM

1,312 posts, read 3,110,533 times
We brush primed and painted our ~2300 sf wood siding colonial house in about 5 days. Our estimates were all over $5000, which was just too much. My husband and father-in-law did it, and it looked fantastic. They power washed before, which isn't figured into the 5 days, but that didn't take too long at all.

Old 09-15-2008, 02:46 PM

15,819 posts, read 32,609,081 times
This is funny. I guess it depends on the kind of surface. We got prices to scrape and paint our house and the lowest was $50,000. (very old cedar siding). They said that brushing/rolling the paint on is the only way to go. Spraying results in too thin a coat of paint.

In about 2000, we had a previous house power washed and sprayed with only a few really bad areas being scraped. We had five different colors to do. Some of it has to be hand painted. The cost was $8,900 for a 2600 s.f. 2 story house (wood sided). We were told that spraying was a terrible way to pain and it would not last very long. We had them do two coats of primer and three coats of paint. As of 2005 when we sold the house, it still looked like fresh paint.

Old 09-15-2008, 02:49 PM

15,819 posts, read 32,609,081 times
This is funny. I guess it depends on the kind of surface. We got prices to scrape and paint our house and the lowest was $50,000. (very old cedar siding 3600 s.f.). They said that brushing/rolling the paint on is the only way to go. Spraying results in too thin a coat of paint. A huge portion of that cost is scraping and caulking. It has a lot of very old paint on it. Needless to say, it remains in need of paint. I will just scrape it a tiny bit at a time, prime it, and then probably have it sprayed. Maybe if I have it sprayed with about a dozen coats, it will be tick enough to last.

I learned the hard way, that it is better to pay someone to power wash. Doing it yourself may damage your house and yield uneven results. Plus you can actually cut off your finger with a power washer, or so I am told.

In about 2000, we had a previous house power washed and sprayed with only a few really bad areas being scraped. We had five different colors to do. Some of it has to be hand painted. The cost was $8,900 for a 2600 s.f. 2 story house (wood sided). We were told that spraying was a terrible way to pain and it would not last very long. We had them do two coats of primer and three coats of paint. As of 2005 when we sold the house, it still looked like fresh paint.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $89,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House