U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2011, 07:08 PM

2,244 posts, read 4,133,586 times

Advertisements

Quote:
also do not spray the paint on, you must brush it on.
This is simply not true. Brushing results in an inconsistent thickness. Brushing also leaves brush marks which are little valleys. These little valleys are a breeding ground for mold.
Spraying provides for a more consistent thickness or mil. Spraying also goes on smooth which results in less places for mold to grow.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2011, 06:32 AM

1,139 posts, read 1,504,965 times
I know the OP is from 2008, but if someone else was curious:

I recently pressure-washed and painted my exterior. For the record, my house is brick on the bottom, level, siding on the top, except for the front where its siding on the first level as well.

Pressure washing took about 20 hours. That was with applying soap, and spraying off. I had a 24 foot extension wand for the pressure washer.

I did the painting myself with a 28 foot ladder, ladder stand-off, brush and roller. 20 hours I was done with the upper story. Another 8 hours and I was done with the soffits, front stoop and garage doors.

A hard job, yes. However, the material cost is very low in comparison to what a contractor would want.

Old 03-16-2012, 12:36 PM

3 posts, read 13,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kerschk View Post
We have a one-level whitewashed brick ranch that is about 2,500 square feet under roof that includes an attached garage and a 12'x52' brick addition in the back (unpainted red brick). The painters will also be spray- painting newly-installed HardieShingle siding and fascia boards on four gables--sides of the house and front/back of the garage. We are employing a two-color scheme: a neutral tone for the house and a darker, contrasting tone for the fascia and trim.
The whitewashed effect on the original house has deteriorated to the point that most of the paint has either fallen off the mortar or is hanging there in hard, crusty little flakes (these will take a pressure washer with about 3.000 psi to remove, I imagine).
Recently, we received an estimate from a reputable, "A-rated" Angie's List roofing company here in Indianapolis to power wash ($350 fixed cost), scrape, mask, fill all holes with either M-1 or mortar caulk as needed, prime and finish paint, all for the low, low price of just $7,700 (Ha! Ha!).
The estimator informed me that one painter first sprays the surface, then a trailing painter immediately comes along to roll out what the sprayer misses.
Does this estimate seem reasonable based on the above criteria?
I'll solicit any and all comments.
Thank you.
I just went yesterday to look at a house I am bidding on. I have done professional painting as an occupation in the past. This is for a good friend of mine.

Their house is a two story home. Outside dimensions are roughly 52' by 26'. The side's of their home are the gable ends of the home. Roughly 28' up to the top of the gable. They have a 18" soffit around the entire house. The front of their house is brick on the lower half the rest of the home has 'plywood' siding.

I am going to have a high-school to help me on this project.

Just to give you a rough run down. This is all just off the top of my head I haven't sat down and figured it all up yet.

so roughly there is about 4,500 sq ft of printable area. They only want the front trimmed.

I like using Sherwin-Williams Paint. I am not saying it is the best thing out their but it is a very good paint.

A few options for them on their paint quality.

(these are my prices from having an account with them for years)

Supper-Paint (25 year paint) 41.22 per gallon (Covers 400-450 sq ft per gallon)

Resilience (lifetime paint) 46.19 per gallon (Covers 35-400 sq ft per gallon) (resilience is for a home that has decent paint on it not pealing [or not much] and is just ready for a new paint job before it is necessarily or gets bad.)

Duration (lifetime paint) 61.22 per gallon [need to renegotiate that price] (Covers about 250 sq ft per gallon) (Duration has basically like a primer in the paint 2 coats covers even rough previous paint job where their is bear wood ect after prep)

So you start running the numbers on that:

Supper-paint $462.49
Resilience $600.47 (my suggestion for this home)
Duration $1101.96

This home has been well taken care of and the paint is still in 'good shape'. My suggestion will be for them to go with the Resilience.

$600 cheep right?
Well that is not figuring in trim color ect a gal or two for their home.

Then pressure washing their home I am going to charge $150 (cheep price)
considering what it would be to buy or rent one and then cemicals to use as well.

-On pressure washing I would not use anything smaller that a 2400 psi pressure washer (you still have to be careful to not damage anything) I currently have a 3500 psi 4.8 gal per min professional belt drive pressure washer. It makes the job go by much quicker I can use a larger tip ect. To rent one for a day like mine would run $70-$100 per day. To buy one like mine would be around $1800.

So I figure a half day or so to pressure wash (just myself doing it) Let it dry until the next day. (depending on weather could take longer or shorter)

Then one day to 3/4 day for calking. Use a good printable calk. I will take down spouting and what other prep work I can do that day. (masking for the next day I don't want it blowing all over ect) Like Sherwin-Williams 950 A. I will let that dry and then the next day.

When I have the teen help me.

Then all the masking and prep in the morning. I take off the doors so I can spray them separately (some people want different door colors.) I spray the down spouting on sawhorses on all sides. This takes some time letting them dry then flipping them over ect.

Then paint siding as well on this first day of 'painting'.

I figure the next day I will finish most of the painting as in all the sides ect. While painting I spray and back brush the first coat. (back brush or back rolling is just like it sounds brushing or rolling after you have sprayed. This helps it make sure to get into cracks and crevices like it should and not form a bubble ect.) On the second coat I may just spray for a more even finish. A good quality paint however lays down well as it dries. Two coats is what is recommended for a good paint job and often required for warranty work. Both by painters and manufactures.

Then the last day on this house will be trim (unless things went really well) and then cleanup.

So

Pressure washing $150
Paint $600
Trim Paint/doors $100
calk/masking ect $160 (this is typically a percent of the paint or job cost)
Repairs $50
Equipment $225 (again a percent of the total material cost)

Now for the labor. Well a painter will have a good sprayer good ladders insured and bonded. Good brushes and tools to do the job. So that is factored in to labor or some will have an 'equipment charge' (typically a % of the full job price +/- Labor price.)

Labor will run 50%-75% for the full job. Now my above figures I know are lower than I would normally charge if they weren't a friend. I also will have one other guy working for me for 2-3days so his wages are part of this as well. So I will probably charge them about $1400 labor on this job. Their won't be a lot of profit on this job for me and I am sure some of my 'material list' is on the light end so that eats into my labor price that I would be making.

So depending on your home $7,700 I would guess would be on the high end but in the ball park actually. Again there are many factors such as how easy it is to get to the places being painted extra equipment needing used. Painting window trim if need be or not if they are vinyl ect. Many factors per job figured into things. Some homes will need a lot of prep work and or a lot of calking and some will need little. This house if it weren't a friend I would probably be around $3500-$4,000. And I would expect them to get bid's from about as low as $2,800-$5,500. This is an easy house to paint over most homes.

NOTE: This is typically what I do and how I figure things. This is not endorsing a product or company. Nor is it to be taken as professional advice. Ask your local painting contractors or local paint store. Pertaining to practice and prices. If you have any questions pertaining to painting they should be able to answer them.

Old 03-16-2012, 02:02 PM

15,819 posts, read 32,425,087 times
I am surprised by some of the things said in here. Even when we had an el cheapo spray job done on our old house, it took them three weeks and cost $8900. On our current house a good job will take three or four months with 2-4 guys working.

We have talked with a dozen quality painters. All said the exact same thing. It is all about prepration, dont use cheap paint, dont spray. Roll and brush is the only way to get a lasting paint job. The lowest price for a full job was $50,000, but all of them said their price was a guess, it could be way less, it might be a bit more. They need to poke every piece of siding and trim to be more accurate. They have to make assumptions and they assume high because it is easier to say "hey I saved you $10,0000, than it is to say "HEy you need another $25,000 to finish."

We also talked to a few Jim the painter guys (who used to be Jim the car maker until recently). They said "Spraying is fine, it will work great. I can do it in three days for $3000. (Yuck yuck yuck)." I did not understand that. Primer and paint cost more than $3000.

We finally just had most of it scraped and then primed. It cost about $10,000 and took a month for two guys with a high school kid helping out once in a while. One side did not need scraping on the first story, and we did not have anything at all done on the second story on that side (not very visible, so we let that go for a time). We also did not do the back of the house on either floor. I do nto remember if we had them do the trim or not. We were just trying to satisfy the insuranc ecompany who were gong to cancel our policy due to peeling paint (not sure what that has to do with insurance). It will still cost another $5,000 or so for the remainig scraping and priming. Then we need to do some patching, replace some siding, and can paint.

In the long run, it will cost less than $50,000, but probably more than $30,000. We spent $2500 on primer alone. We will just have to do a bit at a time. It will be 3-4 years before it is all done.

They used scaffolding. The painter had some scaffolding, but had to rent more. Doing it with ladders woudl probably take twice as long.

Old 03-16-2012, 07:43 PM

1,199 posts, read 999,183 times
I have a 2 story, 3910 sq ft house with a large wrap around porch will pillars. The estimate to paint it, a guest cottage and my shop was $8,000. I bought Dunn Edwards high quality masonry primer, the paint and the trim primer and paint. I sanded and primed most of the window trim, soffit, trim, some doors. I washed the entire house before hand. My renter helped me and together, working about 6 hours a day, it took us 5 weeks, working 5 days a week. But we did a very careful, outstanding job. The paint products, etc cost $3,000. The time before that, I painted only the house by myself working weekends and evenings and it took me several months - but that was 25 yrs ago when I was young.

Old 03-17-2012, 01:36 AM

Now when I am talking about these homes. This is in the mid west Iowa and Missouri. When we were painting all the time we were typically working on $300,000-$600,000 homes. Much of the work was 5-8 years after the homes were built and the contractors grade paint was really showing how cheep it was. I have been back by many of these jobs that are around 15 years old and still the paint job we did. In the last few years of doing this an average painting job price on a home with the two of us working on it was $7,000-$10,000. With just one body color and one trim color and one or two doors with a third color. We would work on these homes for 5-10 days typically. These homes typically had little to no damage done to the siding yet and just needed a proper paint and calking job.

I also have done very expensive jobs where it was all rough ceder and it took us a over two months 6 days a week. Working on scraping and more scraping. Also doing some minor repairs. Then staining the home and sealing it. The sealer that was used on it before was done very poorly and was bubbled and flaking off and just not a material that should be used on the exterior of a home. That job did costs in the tens of thousands. And that house was in great shape the ceder was as good as new just never properly finished.

Again there are several factors that are hard to take into account just over a forum type of conversation. I was giving one example of a home to give an idea of what I was going to do on this house for friends. I am not worried about the quality of the job I will do whatsoever on this home I will be painting. I would do the same for my parents. These are good friends and I wouldn't want to in any way take advantage of them nor give them a cheep job.

Now with the insurance I can understand that being an issue. Once the paint is gone the siding will very quickly be ruined if not already severely damaged. Then you can have structural damage soon to follow.

We have had a few jobs where when we went to give a bid we rather suggested them reside the home it would be cheaper. The cost of doing a proper paint job on some homes is just cost prohibitive. Often people wait too long to have things repaired, fixed, or painted. Thinking it will save money or for whatever other reason. The adage of 'if it isn't broke don't fix it' can be used properly in many instances. It also can become detrimental in proper care and maintenance of things as well.

You don't wait for your ball joint to fail (broke) and likely have an accident. Rather when it shows signs of wear replace it. Much cheaper.

Old 03-17-2012, 01:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LivingDeadGirl View Post
I have a 2 story, 3910 sq ft house with a large wrap around porch will pillars. The estimate to paint it, a guest cottage and my shop was $8,000. I bought Dunn Edwards high quality masonry primer, the paint and the trim primer and paint. I sanded and primed most of the window trim, soffit, trim, some doors. I washed the entire house before hand. My renter helped me and together, working about 6 hours a day, it took us 5 weeks, working 5 days a week. But we did a very careful, outstanding job. The paint products, etc cost $3,000. The time before that, I painted only the house by myself working weekends and evenings and it took me several months - but that was 25 yrs ago when I was young.
The home you just described sounds roughly twice the size of the home I gave as an example. So depending on what paint my friends go with. The paint and products could cost them up to $1,500. I am not painting their porch nor does this house have pillars. I don't know off the top of my head what the shelf price on the Duration exterior is but last I remember it was roughly $80 a gallon. So for these folks to walk in and buy just the body color no trim paint and no extra color for the door. They would be looking at $1,600.

Old 03-17-2012, 08:14 AM

3,252 posts, read 3,065,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prple View Post
About how many hours would you estimate that it takes to power wash and brush and roll a two story, 2100 square foot house? We have been going back and forth on wheather or not to paint our house ourselves or hire someone. Right now I am leaning towards hiring someone to spray it, but having a hard time coming to terms with the cost. Curious about your thoughts.
----------------------------------------------------------------------

Without a lot more information, it will be hard to tell, with any accuracy.

Here is an example: I bought a house that had smooth-side-out cedar clapboards, and I was the lucky guy to get the siding at the end of a production run. (i.e. dull thickness planer blades). Mill glaze. Paint just won't stick to it for long (well maybe a year or two). Power washing would have been a waste of time. So I had to have three guys spend literally a month using Porter Cable 7308 abrasive paint removers, and repaint (one primer coat by brush, one finish coat by brush).
Won't even go into the 1800's lead-painted house with the acanthus leaf columns... in that case, don't ask, don't tell.

So every situation is different.

A lot of people do it themselves, but a fall from a 40' ladder is not worth it. The SO said, "you better hope you die if you fall off that ladder", and she made me sell it.

Old 03-17-2012, 11:53 AM

1,199 posts, read 999,183 times
If you paint the house yourself, PLEASE invest in a good, heavy duty ladder - it makes a big difference on not only safety, but comfort. Part of the cost of painting the house included the sandpaper, wood bleach, high quality brushes, and products needed to do some minor plaster cracking repair. I agree that if you are not in good physical condition/health and are afraid of high ladder work, don't do it! Hire that part.

Old 03-19-2012, 09:07 AM

15,819 posts, read 32,425,087 times
Also look at the Paint shaver tool. I is amazing for removing paint. It works especially well on lap siding becuase it strips the face and the butt of the siding at the same time. takes a while to get the hang of it, practice in an area with damages siding that you will replace anyway, or just buy some siding and make a fake wall on a sheet of plywood to practice on.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House