Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-15-2008, 01:51 PM

468 posts, read 1,886,363 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
The time required depends on the quality of the job. A cheap job will just paint over a simple wash and scuff using cheap paint. It should last a few years.

A quality job will wash, crape, sand, reprime and recoat using good quality paint.

Doing it yourself will result in a poor job where you start and a decent job near the end as you learn how to paint. Painting is not easy even for the pros.
I think he meant "Scrape" here.

If you do it yourself and you are as conscientious as I am, it might take a week or two. If you hire it to a professional, it might take just a few days.
Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2008, 01:51 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,764,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmic View Post
About like asking how big is BIG.

Of course you have to compare apples to apples, so the correct answer is not in time but in manhours. You got to know how many folks in the crew.

One guy might take weeks and 20 man crew might do it in a day. Again as pointed out it is so job specific as to exactly what prep is involved and what has been contracted for and the quality been desired / equipment being used.

I would guess a fair estimate might be one man day per side, once all the prep is done just to slop the paint on. So two coats would take two man days per side. One guy would take about a week to slop two coats on. About typical what I have experienced once a fellow gets down to the serious business of slopping paint on a single family house without too many hickups.

It really is that situation where a train does leave Boston backwards at 100 MPH while a tug boat departs New York harbor when does the diddle meet in the middle. Sort of nonsense. So much depends on the specifics of the job. Example if you have a truck with a bucket hoist the equation changes so greatly. Ease of access thru some type of means is half the battle.

I would not go spraying a house, especially in a built up area. Nice way to get all sorts of claims for new paint jobs on cars because they will claim to have all these tiny spots all over them. Could be for a good distance if the wind is right.
My truck ended up with freckles of white paint one day. I never did figure out where ti came from. We do not have any nearby neighbors. Oh well, makes it even more unique.

Old 03-26-2009, 03:59 AM

1 posts, read 11,024 times
Default Power Washing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prple View Post
About how many hours would you estimate that it takes to power wash and brush and roll a two story, 2100 square foot house? We have been going back and forth on wheather or not to paint our house ourselves or hire someone. Right now I am leaning towards hiring someone to spray it, but having a hard time coming to terms with the cost. Curious about your thoughts.
The company I work for would charge you $150 for power washing. That includes driveway and walkways. If it were a single story house, it would be half that amount.

Painting is another story. It depends on if it is wood frame or stucco. Both should be power washed, then sealed, then painted, then sealed again. The sealer for wood and stucco vary in price. If you use the seal paint seal method, you should expect to pay 7K to 10K. Other wise $1500 is reasonable on for each story, or around 3K. You can reduce this cost sometimes by providing your own paint, sealer and supplies, but when you do that, you forfeit any guarantees or warranty, provided the painter you hire is willing to do that. Make sure you use a reputable painter in any case should you not do it yourself.

Old 08-10-2009, 09:07 PM

2 posts, read 22,820 times
I agree with Barking Spider and would like to add: You forgot the scraping and priming. Some primers and some caulks need anywhere from 30 minutes to 24 hours cure time, before you can apply the finish coat. And with todays paints and weather variations, 2 coat coverage is recommended. How many homeowners are ambitious enough to mask, cover and move ladders around a house not once, but three times. Two finish coats and trim paint.

Old 08-14-2009, 04:02 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,155,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prple View Post
About how many hours would you estimate that it takes to power wash and brush and roll a two story, 2100 square foot house? We have been going back and forth on wheather or not to paint our house ourselves or hire someone. Right now I am leaning towards hiring someone to spray it, but having a hard time coming to terms with the cost. Curious about your thoughts.
We had ours professionally brush and rolled in 2 days. same size house, 2 story.

Old 10-22-2009, 09:03 AM

8,003 posts, read 11,719,353 times
You could buy a sufficient pressure washer for less than $150 and do this yourself. Once you're done with the washing job, you'll still have the pressure washer for many, many other things. We got ours for $99 (Husky) at Home Depot 2 1/2 yrs ago and I use for so many things. It's going to take you about 8 hrs to do a good job (IMHO). You should be able to get enough paint for around $250 if you shop wisely. Make sure to use a good non-shrink caulking/nail filler to fill all holes and seams and scrap and prime if necessary. You can easily do this job yourself and come in under $1,000 for everything you need...even if you have to buy a new ladder!!! As for really high spots, gables, etc., you'd be really surprised at just how fabulous a soft car wash brush works on an extension handle (if you don't have a high enough ladder)...even if you have to buy an extra one and cut it down (from each side) to a narrower width on a band saw, or using a hand saw. I know it's unorthodox, but hey, it works! You should definitely wait a couple of days after pressure washing to allow your house to dry. If you have an extra hand, you should be able to brush and roll the paint on in a couple of days. The entire job should take less than 5 days, of course, that depends on how many colors you use. I have hard time going with less than 4 colors.

P.S. By shopping throughout the months before painting my home the last time, I hit the "oops" paint sections of my local paint stores. I purchased the paints necessary for completely repainting my 2 story house...trims, siding and all, for a grand total of $100. Mind you, I didn't wait until it was time to paint my house, but knew I was going to have to paint it the following summer and simply kept my eye out. I got 5 gal pails of paint for $25 each and 1 gal containers for $5 each. Oh, this also gave me enough paint to repaint my 30'x50', 2-story shop as well. How's that for blowing an estimate out of the water? LOL

Last edited by beachmel; 10-22-2009 at 09:12 AM..

Old 10-22-2009, 09:36 AM

19,743 posts, read 22,635,943 times
Quote:
How long does it take to paint 2-story exterior?
About 3 cases of beer long should do it.

Old 10-22-2009, 12:54 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,816,250 times
Paint the outside of teh house is mostly prep work. If it strated to scale thatis a bad sign of high cost coming. Then you need to look at it being high to paint the second floor. If the contrator uses a airless sprayer then you need to look at other jobs done and make sure they use like a gallon every 400 sq ft as most paints cover.On pressure washing you do not want to much PSI on most wooden struture because it can cut into the paint. Let the clemicals do their job. and rinse well. Let dry throughly.As a last note the actauly qauilty of teh pint will also make a difference ;so ig paying high labor don't skimp on paint qauilty at all.Top brand ;top qauilty within the brand.

Old 10-07-2010, 09:32 PM

1 posts, read 8,631 times
Default Estimate to paint a brick house

We have a one-level whitewashed brick ranch that is about 2,500 square feet under roof that includes an attached garage and a 12'x52' brick addition in the back (unpainted red brick). The painters will also be spray- painting newly-installed HardieShingle siding and fascia boards on four gables--sides of the house and front/back of the garage. We are employing a two-color scheme: a neutral tone for the house and a darker, contrasting tone for the fascia and trim.
The whitewashed effect on the original house has deteriorated to the point that most of the paint has either fallen off the mortar or is hanging there in hard, crusty little flakes (these will take a pressure washer with about 3.000 psi to remove, I imagine).
Recently, we received an estimate from a reputable, "A-rated" Angie's List roofing company here in Indianapolis to power wash ($350 fixed cost), scrape, mask, fill all holes with either M-1 or mortar caulk as needed, prime and finish paint, all for the low, low price of just $7,700 (Ha! Ha!).
The estimator informed me that one painter first sprays the surface, then a trailing painter immediately comes along to roll out what the sprayer misses.
Does this estimate seem reasonable based on the above criteria?
I'll solicit any and all comments.
Thank you.

Old 03-14-2011, 03:21 PM

1 posts, read 8,194 times
here it is folks, the facts....do not powerwash wood sideing, this thing will push water so deep into the wood that it will take weeks to dry....this is why a paint job peels after a year. use dawn dishwashing soap , a garden hose and a scrub brush. somtimes i use easyoff oven cleaner to cut the carbon in the detail of wood molding and such. also do not spray the paint on, you must brush it on.
dont rush your job, take your time, "wax on wax off"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House