Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-09-2008, 08:13 PM

4,705 posts, read 25,182,234 times

Advertisements

The problem: Plumbers over notched the floor joists in several areas.

The fix: Someone decided a new joist under the bad one will fix the problem.

The "fixer": Someone that has watched a number of This Old House episodes. Well, maybe watched only part of the show, and spent most of the time getting beers.

How it went down: Darrell, "Hey we got to hold this joist up against the other one". Brother Darrell, "Lets screw a board to the side to hold them together".
Other Brother Darrell, "Nah, we need to use posts, AND they need to be pressure treated". Darrell 1 and Darrell 2, "But we need to put them in concrete cuz Bob Villa did it that way".

And people think I make this stuff up.
Attached Thumbnails
How not to do it-crawl1.jpg   How not to do it-crawl2.jpg   How not to do it-crawl3.jpg   How not to do it-crawl4.jpg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2008, 09:30 PM

15,205 posts, read 12,021,356 times
At least they put them in concrete....LOL

Old 09-09-2008, 09:41 PM

6,196 posts, read 5,430,261 times
Okay then, now I seriously believe you can not fix stupid. Please tell me this is not someone with a license and just another cuz'n that fixed the jeb's hidy?

Old 09-09-2008, 10:16 PM

4,705 posts, read 25,182,234 times
I was inspecting this house for a buyer. I have no idea who did this. Might have been some engibeer type profeshunal.

Just when I think I have seen it all - this stuff comes up. I love my job, it's like a blank slate every day.

Old 09-09-2008, 11:28 PM

23,509 posts, read 69,890,838 times
I think those qualify as concrete overshoes. Amazing.

Old 09-09-2008, 11:36 PM

855 posts, read 2,388,462 times
That's pathetic. It's amazing the things you can come across when you really take a look at what's under/behind a home or wall.

My sister-in-law's husband bought an awning for a raised deck at the back of their split level. To install it to his siding I had to cut away part of his siding above the sliding door for a ledger board to attach the awning rail to. It turned out the entire back wall of the house was framed 24" on center and there was nothing underneath their siding outside of some 1/2 inch foam sheet insulation. My wife told me my sister-in-law mentioned that house was kind of cold in winter. Small wonder.

Barking Spider, have you ever seen or do you watch the show "Holmes On Homes" on TLC? It's amazing some of the travesties he comes across on that show. I had noticed it but never bothered to check it out until one night. I watch it all the time now and it's not uncommon for me to sit there with my mouth hanging open, shaking my head at some of the things he uncovers.

Old 09-10-2008, 09:39 AM

8,307 posts, read 38,657,867 times
Please tell me a layman homeowner did that...

That's really scary otherwise...

Old 09-10-2008, 09:54 AM

23,509 posts, read 69,890,838 times
"My sister-in-law's husband bought an awning for a raised deck at the back of their split level. To install it to his siding I had to cut away part of his siding above the sliding door for a ledger board to attach the awning rail to. It turned out the entire back wall of the house was framed 24" on center and there was nothing underneath their siding outside of some 1/2 inch foam sheet insulation. My wife told me my sister-in-law mentioned that house was kind of cold in winter. Small wonder."

Along the same lines, but I'll go you one better. One movie theatre company I worked for had a reputation of building as cheaply as possible. I went to one location where construction was going on, and stood aghast as I saw 16' metal 2" x 4" studs being clad only in foam sheets, and then stucco to form an exterior wall. The plans were engineer approved, and had passed zoning for approval. I have no idea what the engineer was doing or how that building ever got a C.O.. I can't help but think that the integrity of the wall was only from the stucco and sheet rock holding the metal studs in position. Fortunately, the beams supporting the roof gave some strength every 20' or so. Still, I had visions of kids sneaking into the theatre by simply punching holes in the walls.

Old 09-10-2008, 10:06 AM

11,008 posts, read 17,377,801 times
With the floor joists like that, they should be getting "thank you for the good eats" notes from termites before long!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DLK55 View Post
have you ever seen or do you watch the show "Holmes On Homes" on TLC? It's amazing some of the travesties he comes across on that show. I had noticed it but never bothered to check it out until one night. I watch it all the time now and it's not uncommon for me to sit there with my mouth hanging open, shaking my head at some of the things he uncovers.
I think that is one show everybody who is getting ready to work on their house or getting ready to hire somebody should watch! When my ex and i bought the house she has now (now THAT'S not a surprise!) there was one room that was in desperate need of a new floor. There is an Amish community about 10 miles or so from where we live. If you pick them up and take them home, the Amish do a great job! They completely tore out a 10'x12' floor, joists and all, replaced it, put down 3/4" tongue in groove plywood and laminate flooring, and we moved furniture back in late the same afternoon. For 4 workers and the cost of the material, around $700. Looks great underneath too!

Old 09-10-2008, 02:11 PM

8,411 posts, read 39,162,521 times
Your posts have seriously made me want to get 2-3 home inspector opinions just in case of these monkey business fix-its could be hiding in the property for sale.

I dont even know what I am talking about when it comes to that fix it above..But logically is just looks plain wrong and kinda scary.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House