U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Halloween!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 09-14-2008, 07:03 PM
 
Location: Nashville, TN
624 posts, read 2,791,044 times
Reputation: 329
Default What to use to kill mosquitos in my backyard?

I have a large number of mosquitos in my backyard...partly because there is some standing water in my hot tub from rain getting through my cover, but I killed those but there are a bunch flying around...is there some way I can attract them to an area and kill them? some kind of trap or something? Or alternatively just get something to spray in my backyard to kill them...anyone know where they actually live? Do they just fly around all the time or have nests or what? Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 09-14-2008, 07:41 PM
 
Location: Kirkwood, DE and beautiful SXM!
9,900 posts, read 10,927,367 times
Reputation: 24545
We have a Mosquito Magnet that works great. This is my husband's baby, but somehow the mosquitos get caught in a basket. Anyway, when I empty it, they are all dead. We also have a hot tub in our backyard, and the MM works.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-14-2008, 09:04 PM
Status: " Love is Freedom, Love is Equal, Love Conquers Hate" (set 6 days ago)
 
Location: The 12th State
21,911 posts, read 38,797,534 times
Reputation: 13105
Attach a spray nozzle thing to your water hose and spray with Ivory liquid dish detergent
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-14-2008, 09:21 PM
 
3,020 posts, read 16,301,091 times
Reputation: 2424
Default Lots of luck killing all of them.......

First there are many species of skeeters. Not all are the same.

They can have very short life spans, some have very long ones as adults. Average might be something like a few weeks to maybe a month or two, so the same critters can be around a while. They need blood to breed and lay eggs. Only the ladies bite, remember that. Many skeeters prefer something sugar based as normal chow.

Normally they sit on vegatation, changes in wee micro bits of concentrations of CO2 surrounding cause them to fly, where they zero in on you by sensing your body aura of heat, moisture and ammonia. Some bug zappers attempt to duplicate that by releasing wee amounts of CO2 and try to minic the human body to their sensors. If you never breathe in / out in theory they should not get you. Very complex creatures with super ability to sense their environment. They use ever sensitive methods to find you once they fly. Why they can always find the most tender spot. They can see this envelope that surrounds a human body of heat and chemicals.

In general most skeeters do not get humans as the primary prey animal. The most common are things like birds that get zapped the most.

Those candles are pretty effective in preventing them from zapping you. They flood the area with chemicals that messes up their sensors and in theory they only find you by dumb accident. There is a theory the hummers work by creating a sound that works on the same frequency as them, don't know if they are any good or not. I once tried to build one of those devices and tried it out in a water treatment plant that had zillions of them. Still seemed to get to me, maybe I needed more power out the reactor to repell them.

The best way to get rid of them is to drain all forms of standing water they need to breed. No water, no babies. Live in an area that has wind. They do not like to fly in the wind. They are homeboys and don't travel that far in their life time.

If you got real big ones like in New Jersey the only thing that works is large naval rifles with frag ammo. Got to get them one at a time, some can withstand more than one hit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-14-2008, 11:11 PM
 
Location: Houston, Texas
10,427 posts, read 29,083,342 times
Reputation: 9597
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyKayak View Post
Attach a spray nozzle thing to your water hose and spray with Ivory liquid dish detergent
But I always heard they were attracted to perfume scents. Anyone who has alergies knows Ivory is the worst soap on earth to put on your skin due to the perfumes.

Then again......if dish detergent can kill something, I sure dont want to put it on my skin even if I had no alergies.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-15-2008, 02:19 PM
 
Location: Grosse Ile Michigan and Sometimes Orange County CA
15,820 posts, read 30,869,110 times
Reputation: 11756
Do some research. I have spent a great deal of time on this subject because I despise mosquitoes and we live where they abound.

Lots of universities have studied the various mosquito killing devices. Every neutral study reached the same conclusion. The bottom line - none of them really work. Biological efforts (sterile males, importing mosquitoe killing bugs or attracting bats or purple martins)do not have any significant impact on mosquitoe populations. Those electronic zappers do not kill any mosquitoes. They do kill other kinds of bugs. The carbon generators (mosqitoe magnet etc) do kill mosquitoes, but only in one direction and the attract more to your property. IN any event, they do nto kill enough of them to make a difference. Citronella candles or torches work if you are standing downwind of them or there is no wind at all. You need a lot of them to haave an effect and they have to be all around you.

Three things work. 1. remove or treat all standing water, and get your neighbors to do the same. 2. Use a commercial fogger. You need to use certain chemicals at different times of the year for it to work properly. You will also have to fog your neighbors property to have any meaningful effect. 3. wear repellent. DEET clearly works. Catnip based repellents may work as well. I read that they were as effective as DEET, but I have never seen any being sold.

We fogged the woods around our house using two chemicals. One kills the larvae and the other kills the adults. You need to use the larvae killing one at certain times of the year. You have to fog often. It works great until you miss doing it one time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-15-2008, 02:40 PM
 
Location: Sarasota FL
3,936 posts, read 3,196,662 times
Reputation: 2409
chemical to kill mosquitos - malathion
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-15-2008, 05:13 PM
 
Location: Houston, Texas
10,427 posts, read 29,083,342 times
Reputation: 9597
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
Do some research. I have spent a great deal of time on this subject because I despise mosquitoes and we live where they abound.

Lots of universities have studied the various mosquito killing devices. Every neutral study reached the same conclusion. The bottom line - none of them really work. Biological efforts (sterile males, importing mosquitoe killing bugs or attracting bats or purple martins)do not have any significant impact on mosquitoe populations. Those electronic zappers do not kill any mosquitoes. They do kill other kinds of bugs. The carbon generators (mosqitoe magnet etc) do kill mosquitoes, but only in one direction and the attract more to your property. IN any event, they do nto kill enough of them to make a difference. Citronella candles or torches work if you are standing downwind of them or there is no wind at all. You need a lot of them to haave an effect and they have to be all around you.

Three things work. 1. remove or treat all standing water, and get your neighbors to do the same. 2. Use a commercial fogger. You need to use certain chemicals at different times of the year for it to work properly. You will also have to fog your neighbors property to have any meaningful effect. 3. wear repellent. DEET clearly works. Catnip based repellents may work as well. I read that they were as effective as DEET, but I have never seen any being sold.

We fogged the woods around our house using two chemicals. One kills the larvae and the other kills the adults. You need to use the larvae killing one at certain times of the year. You have to fog often. It works great until you miss doing it one time.
Sounds like you did indeed do your homework. But your conclusions are not very incouraging. Normal people would never even think to rub that greasy "skin so soft" trash on them let alone DEET which stinks like a burlap bag soaked with Cat pee and left in the sun to simmer.

I also read they are attracted by perfumes so we should neve wear under arm deodorant with a sent nor use scented soap or shampoo.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-15-2008, 05:17 PM
 
Location: Houston, Texas
10,427 posts, read 29,083,342 times
Reputation: 9597
Quote:
Originally Posted by d4g4m View Post
chemical to kill mosquitos - malathion
I thought malathion was outlawed so I looked it up. Sure enough it is an efective killer of mosquitos when mixed with diesel and fogged into the woods.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-15-2008, 06:28 PM
 
3,020 posts, read 16,301,091 times
Reputation: 2424
Default Well gees just don't smell so much

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertsun41 View Post
Sounds like you did indeed do your homework. But your conclusions are not very incouraging. Normal people would never even think to rub that greasy "skin so soft" trash on them let alone DEET which stinks like a burlap bag soaked with Cat pee and left in the sun to simmer.

I also read they are attracted by perfumes so we should neve wear under arm deodorant with a sent nor use scented soap or shampoo.
Lots of luck avoiding those lil puppies. It is so much more complex. They can and do detect so many chemicals and use them to find you. It is not a matter of masking out just one simple odor. They can modify their search focus based on conditions. Very hard to fool them.

They detect changes in CO2 as the main sensor that you are in the general area. Your breath is so important in giving out a lot of the clues that prey is about. It has heat, moisture, CO2 and a bunch of chemicals. One of them is octenol, another is some forms of ammonia, and on and on.

To make it worse your skin generates a bunch of chemicals, far worse if you are sweating. Once they get in your general area, they pick out the landing spot by sensing a combination of heat, moisture and some chemical concentrations. They know exactly where the best bare skin is.

So some perfumes if they contain the wrong chemicals might be working against you. Even stuff like acetone is one thing they can sense. What is more amazing is a lot of the chemicals are also generated by plants but they can determine the difference between an animal and a plant, no problem.

DEET apparently does work to some extent but nothing is totally foolproof. The more modern approach of using a form of IPM to target various aspects of their life cycle seems to work the best. Got to hit them at their weak points, find natural enemies, make the environment unfriendly. Something simple like a ceiling fan in the bedroom works, they do not like moving air or wind.

You might try that idea of putting cat pee on your skin. May or may not work with the local skeeters but is sure to make you pretty popular with your friends.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top