Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2008, 01:46 AM

202 posts, read 833,871 times

Advertisements

I live in a typical suburban neighborhood. Would getting a white picket fence around the front of the house (corner lot) add much value to my property?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2008, 09:08 AM

3,131 posts, read 11,648,036 times
I don't think fences add any value whatsoever. I would not get a fence unless there was a reason to really need one. You would be better served by updating landscaping etc. If you want a fence, you should get it because you want it, not because you think it will add value. You can think of it like a swimming pool, some people really want them and others have no use! purely subjective.

Old 09-22-2008, 06:06 AM

5,450 posts, read 8,762,566 times
I agree with sgresident. It needs to be put up because you want it. I wanted one and only put it around the back and side of my house. I did retaning walls with tiered landscaping in the front. Looks great too. I don't think fences add any value and as a matter of fact, nothing really does. If your house is similar to the rest in the neighborhood, it's going to go for roughly the same amount. It's not like if you add 40K in upgrades, you're going to get even 30K more than your next door neighbor with a home in the same condition as yours minus the upgrades.
Do things because you want to, though, after all, you have to live there and be happy.

Old 09-22-2008, 06:13 AM

11,087 posts, read 17,542,940 times
Watch some of those landscaping or home improvement shows on HGTV or DIY networks. One thing they all stress is that the view from the street is one of the main things that draws people in to look at a house. If it's hidden behind fences or shrubs or something they can't tell a lot about it

Old 09-22-2008, 07:40 AM

973 posts, read 3,304,931 times
Whether or not a fence adds value is subjective. Some home improvement projects add more value while others detract from it. An updated kitchen and bath are always valuable investments while many think a pool detracts from the value due to the upkeep it requires.

Although there are always differing opinions, there are folks who would like and appreciate a home with a fence around the back yard. People with small children or pets would more than likely appreciate it the most. Most projects that are well done and asthetically pleasing will add to your homes value to a point. If I had to choose a fence, I'd go with a PVC over wood because it requires little maintenance (no staining or waterproofing).

Old 09-22-2008, 08:41 AM

3,020 posts, read 25,733,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmobizmo View Post
If I had to choose a fence, I'd go with a PVC over wood because it requires little maintenance (no staining or waterproofing).
Beware the PVC is very subject to damage in wind storms, bad weather and the like. Becomes very brittle in colder weather. Especially if it is more solid design that can act as a sail. Lots of it is nothing but junk, cheaply made and designed.

See them busted all over the place around where I live. Help repair one from a big storm last winter. Puppy just sheered off the mounting clips. Whole sections failed. Not that cheap to replace either. We tore one damage section apart to replace damage in others.

Certain pieces of those PVC fences should have had wood inserts to strengthen them. Was how I made splices in some we repaired. The edge slats I reinforced in others to attempt to prevent it from happening again.

Old 09-22-2008, 08:50 AM

12,169 posts, read 17,647,423 times
I've always wanted a yellow clapboard house witha white pickett fence. I like the look of a picket fence as a border. It might add a little value to your home.

Old 09-22-2008, 01:51 PM

3,631 posts, read 14,553,903 times
You may want to check HOA if you have one. I think most require fences not to extend behind the rear corners of the house.

Old 09-26-2008, 12:55 AM

202 posts, read 833,871 times
Thanks for all of your input everyone
Actually, I want a white picket fence to make the yard look nicer and to keep the unwanted people off of my lawn and off of my property.
I found a person sleeping on my grass the other morning..
And I want to get out of here and sell in a few years (to a more civilized place)

Old 09-26-2008, 11:57 AM

8,064 posts, read 18,010,195 times
I have a 4-foot white picket fence around my front yard and it looks SO nice. I planted pink and yellow rose bushes along part of it and the contrast between the white fence and the green leaves/beautiful flowers is lovely. At Christmas time, I weave greenery along the top of the fence with strings of white lights and put red bows on the corner posts. Very, very pretty.

I think it DOES add to attractiveness of the property. SO many people have commented on how charming it looks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House