U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 09-19-2008, 11:43 AM

44 posts, read 486,155 times

Advertisements

My husband and I just bought a house in MA. The house was built in 1988. The windows are also 20-year-old. The bottom of some windows are soft and have water stains. Is it because the windows are too old? Ususally how long windows can last in New England area?

Should we replace the whole window, or just replace the bottom part of the window? If the latter also costs a fortune, maybe we should replace the whole window?

We are going to call and get quotes from a couple of local contractors, but really want to have some experience/knowledge before we talk to them.

Thanks a lot for any suggestions!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2008, 11:57 AM

3,020 posts, read 16,688,489 times
Default Sounds like you got wooden windows......

There is no age limit. Many houses in New England had / have windows that were over 100 years old. Not that they worked all that well.

Yours probably got a bit of water from condensation on the glass, it runs down and zaps the lower sections. Can rot the lower parts completely through. That and dry rot will get to them. Can be worse if you don't have storm windows. They will also rot out the window sills and all the framing, including that holding the pulley weights if you have them. Pretty common problem.

At some point usually it does make sense to replace them. Modern vinyl replacement windows do the trick. How much you got to rebuild around the window is sort of unique to the house. Beware of contractors replacing windows in old crappy original wood frames. Good rebuilds ain't cheap. Sometimes you go for a complete change out and go for a new construction style replacement. Can get a bit messy and expensive at times.

Sounds like you got cheap single pane windows. A good energy efficient window should not produce much condensation on the inside.

Old 04-18-2009, 08:19 AM

64 posts, read 237,976 times
Condensation can be the cause of the rot in your windows, but I would be more concerned about the original installation and potential water leakage/damage as well.

Before you look at repairing or replacing the windows you need someone with knowledge and experience to investigate your problem to determine if the rot is only in the window system or if it has spread into your wall system.

Unfortunately, rotting walls due to bad construction practices and incorrect window installations has reached epidemic proportions in some parts of the country and I truly hope that your problem ends up being relatively minor.

And as a follow-up, from rereading your original post I am hoping that when say bottoms you are referring the bottom of the sash or moveable part of the window. If ONLY the bottom of the sash is soft or shows signs of rot then you are likely okay - so far as the larger picture goes. If by bottoms you meant the bottom of the frame or sill, then by all means get the windows/walls checked before you invest in repair or replacement.

Here is a link to Building Science Corp website. Building Science is in your neighborhood and they are nationally recognized as experts in home building and remodeling - particularly in areas of water infiltration.

It might be worth a few minutes of your time to read some of their information about water penetration behind siding and from faulty window installs.

Building Science Corporation

Old 04-18-2009, 12:00 PM

9,048 posts, read 16,465,838 times
Are wood windows still used very often? In my area it seems like every house built since the late 60's has aluminum framed windows. My house was built in '73 and the windows are still in good condition.

Old 04-18-2009, 12:08 PM

43,178 posts, read 47,049,205 times
Its all a matter of maintenance. I have seen wooden windows from the 30's that were keep painted;reglazed in very good working order. Wooden windows are still popular but expensive.

Old 04-18-2009, 02:39 PM

10,427 posts, read 29,987,000 times
My friends, you are all answering a post so old it's growing fur.

Old 04-18-2009, 10:19 PM

64 posts, read 237,976 times
Oops, my bad. I simply didn't notice the date...sorry all!

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House