Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2008, 07:42 PM

8,877 posts, read 13,909,043 times

Advertisements

Final outcome!

Stopped on the way home from work and bought a new disposal.

After dinner, I drained the standing clogged water, emptied out the area under the sink and removed the dishwasher drain hose from the disposal. Had one helper plug that hole while the other helper plugged the other sink drain. Went to town with the plunger and busted the clog!

After everything drained and I re-connected the dishwasher line, I ran a bunch of ice cubes and water down the disposal and it all seems to work fine.

Thanks to you all for the advice and the tips. (Also, the admonishment for not thinking about the ammonia before I tried that!)

(All that's left now is to stop tomorrow at Lowes to return the disposal I bought and didn't need.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2009, 05:53 PM

1 posts, read 2,393 times
Help???? I have a stopped up kitchen sink ..its a dual sink and the dishwasher is stopped up to ... I tried to snake the main line coming out of the wall and its still stopped up ... what do I do now??? I also tried to plunge it ... if I plunge a bit more do that unclog the main line coming out of the wall???

Old 10-16-2016, 05:38 PM

1 posts, read 664 times
I put rice in the garbage disposal and it is clogged too it apart, did the snake went 20 feet and it is still clogged, what can I do to get the rice to flush out help

Old 10-16-2016, 09:59 PM

1,080 posts, read 1,191,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stripes17 View Post
Final outcome!

Stopped on the way home from work and bought a new disposal.

After dinner, I drained the standing clogged water, emptied out the area under the sink and removed the dishwasher drain hose from the disposal. Had one helper plug that hole while the other helper plugged the other sink drain. Went to town with the plunger and busted the clog!

After everything drained and I re-connected the dishwasher line, I ran a bunch of ice cubes and water down the disposal and it all seems to work fine.

Thanks to you all for the advice and the tips. (Also, the admonishment for not thinking about the ammonia before I tried that!)

(All that's left now is to stop tomorrow at Lowes to return the disposal I bought and didn't need.)
if your going to be in your home for a long time i would not opt for a low cost unit aka contractors model as they will cause you more problems in the long run. i always opted for a high end unit like the 1 HP models wich by far do a supper job at handling waste over there lower end counter parts. i bought a condo one tim and it had a dinky badger 1 1/3 HP motor that thing was more headaches then there worth plus it seized up in 6 months and in sink erator had to replace it. i bought the evolution excel and that thing is a beast.

Old 10-17-2016, 06:26 AM

17,473 posts, read 66,010,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Openplease1 View Post
I put rice in the garbage disposal and it is clogged too it apart, did the snake went 20 feet and it is still clogged, what can I do to get the rice to flush out help

Did it occur to you that maybe the "disposal" is what's clogged; and not the DWV?

Old 10-17-2016, 04:25 PM

the OP should start scraping his plates in the trash can before he rinses them off in the sink as the food particles and grease will over time cause since most people don't scrape there plates removing all of the particles and grease and that can lead to some nasty sludge and scum build ups.

Clogged kitchen sink-pipe-blockage-_2-dwv.jpg

Clogged kitchen sink-pipe-blockage-_1-dwv.jpg

and no more rice down the disposal as it sounds like you have a low powered unit it's the blades are dull. i remember when i was on city water i had a 1 HP unit and i threw everything down it sometimes i think it ate better than i did as well as i had great water pressure to so that helped flush everything down. i notice that people say don't put this down it don't put that down it have these cheap little 1/3 HP hp units wich are weak and depending on what one you have they start to turn brown inside them and the impellers freeze up and not being able to fly open on startup and grind the food up

Old 10-19-2016, 12:41 PM

17,077 posts, read 13,358,417 times
And while we're discussing what not to put down the disposal, let me add pasta to the list.

Old 10-20-2016, 11:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by randomparent View Post
And while we're discussing what not to put down the disposal, let me add pasta to the list.
and potatoe peelings.. corn husks that's an adventure since they slip down through the grinding ring and wrap around the motor shaft and really screw things up. i remember when i had my house built that was on city sewer they asked me if i wanted to opt for a bigger drain pipe since i was getting a high powered disposal and i said yes and i shoved everything down that disposal and i never got clogged pipes.

Old 11-10-2016, 08:27 PM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M5dq9HEwCXk

this is why i always buy a top of the line unit. you can pretty much put anything down it and not have any issues vs the el cheapo model wich more than likey will probaly jam up and get over heated and trip the reset button

Old 11-10-2016, 08:35 PM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bRm9KhsNds4
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House