Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-22-2008, 02:17 PM

965 posts, read 4,483,375 times

Advertisements

Could someone tell me if the "roof" covering on the windows is copper? Doesn't copper turn to a verdigris as it ages? However, the green on these windows looks too bright and shiny to be aged copper, and I do believe this is a recently built house. I've seen regular copper, but I've never seen this before. Thanks.

http://www.everettcustomhomes.net/im...80_1991325.jpg
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2008, 02:19 PM

3,672 posts, read 10,567,129 times
It is copper. These window treatments are chemically 'aged' to give that patina. Most naturally aged roofs are darker due to dirt and pigeon debris that has accumulated over the years along with the patina development.

Old 09-22-2008, 02:29 PM

Oh, okay. So it is copper. Thanks.

The color really caught my eye. I guess it's going to keep changing color until it gets to be the "usual verdigris" that you described as more dull, correct? Boohoo. I just really like that color.

Old 09-22-2008, 04:07 PM

3,672 posts, read 10,567,129 times
Don't worry about the color change. It will take a long time and if you continue to wash it from time to time with a cleaner such as TSP (TriSodium Phospate) it will wash away the dirt and other residues to keep the color bright for many, many years.

Old 09-23-2008, 12:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnrex62 View Post
Don't worry about the color change. It will take a long time and if you continue to wash it from time to time with a cleaner such as TSP (TriSodium Phospate) it will wash away the dirt and other residues to keep the color bright for many, many years.
Neato torpedo! Thanks so much!

Old 09-23-2008, 12:07 PM

3,020 posts, read 25,676,217 times
Default That may not not be real copper......

There is no way to know for sure without a very close inspection.

They make some fake stuff. I've never inspected it close but I suspect it is steel with some type of coating. Seen stuff like it being put on but I know it was not real copper. You see some of it in lite commerical places, some restaurants, etc have it. In some malls, even in interior spaces.

In today's World with all the copper thieves probably won't last very long. They would use a chain and drag it off your house. That roofing copper is pretty heavy stuff. Can't pass that up.

The other sure sign it is pure copper is to watch all the buzzards and scrap artists during construction phases, they will be buzzing around like yellow jackets around an RC Cola can. Any scraps will be gone before they hit the ground. Stuff may not even make it out of the delivery truck before it is clipped. Need a platoon of guards with AK-47's.

Old 09-23-2008, 07:51 PM

625 posts, read 4,557,689 times
Statue of Liberty material there...

Old 09-24-2008, 03:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmic View Post
There is no way to know for sure without a very close inspection.

They make some fake stuff. I've never inspected it close but I suspect it is steel with some type of coating. Seen stuff like it being put on but I know it was not real copper. You see some of it in lite commerical places, some restaurants, etc have it. In some malls, even in interior spaces.

In today's World with all the copper thieves probably won't last very long. They would use a chain and drag it off your house. That roofing copper is pretty heavy stuff. Can't pass that up.

The other sure sign it is pure copper is to watch all the buzzards and scrap artists during construction phases, they will be buzzing around like yellow jackets around an RC Cola can. Any scraps will be gone before they hit the ground. Stuff may not even make it out of the delivery truck before it is clipped. Need a platoon of guards with AK-47's.
Wow. Too bad pennies aren't sought after. I have lots of those!

Old 09-25-2008, 05:07 PM

759 posts, read 3,172,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by virgo View Post
Wow. Too bad pennies aren't sought after. I have lots of those!
I think today's modern penny is worth almost 1.3 Cents. Older ones that were all copper are almost 3 cents. But it is illegal to melt pennies....I still have a jar of at least a 1000 or so :P
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House