U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Unread 10-01-2008, 08:27 PM

1 posts, read 7,795 times
Default Cricket in my Bedroom Wall

I have a cricket in my bedroom wall. It is loud and he starts chirping about 7 p.m. Pacific Time every night. It is getting on my nerves. How do I get rid of it, besides having an exterminator come and spray toxic chemicals. I live in an apartment and don't want to destroy drywall, as I will get in trouble with the landlord for disturbing drywall. I try knocking on the wall, but the chirping only stops for a few seconds and then starts up again. I don't know why I am always the one who has these crazy things happening to me?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Unread 10-02-2008, 05:25 AM

15,823 posts, read 26,486,103 times
Go to a pet store and buy a tarantula turn it loose in your house. Viola! No more crickets.

Unread 10-02-2008, 08:20 AM

1,125 posts, read 2,749,944 times
Quote:
It is getting on my nerves. I try knocking on the wall, but the chirping only stops for a few seconds and then starts up again

That would drive me crazy as well, I would call the landlord or maint. person...have them come spray and seal up where the cricket(s) are getting in from the outside.

Unread 10-03-2008, 07:26 AM

5,447 posts, read 6,005,306 times
If you moved to the east coast the cricket wouldn't start until 10pm. You could be sleeping by then and not hear it. If you know a good looking female cricket you could dress her in something from Victorias's Secret, (check with Mike for what's available) and tempt the cricket to leave home. It's either that or have exterminator take care of it.

Last edited by studedude; 10-03-2008 at 07:31 AM.. Reason: add material

Unread 06-12-2011, 11:16 PM

4,122 posts, read 3,705,115 times
Sorry you haven't been happy with the answers, but it's a very difficult question. There are hundreds of species of crickets and they can have lifespans from a few months to more than a year, depending on the temperature of their habitat and their food and water source (crickets prefer damper areas). It is always possible that your friend will leave the way he came, but if the attraction is there another one is sure to follow.

You aren't the only person these kinds of things happen to. The first summer after I bought my house in Tucson I had crickets in the ductwork. The noise echoed throughout the house. I was concerned about them dropping in through the air conditioning vents. You don't want crickets in your house because they are a food source for scorpions.

I had to resort to a professional exterminator, but he did the job. On his first visit he combed through the house, inside and out, looking for places insects could be attracted to coming in. He sealed up tiny openings and sprayed special places like in the cabinets under the sinks. He now comes four times a year and sprays outside the perimeter of the house. Taking care of points of entry for all insects is what keeps them out of your house. There are lots of things in the walls of houses they like to eat.

We have had no bug problems since hiring the service, which also does our termite control, a necessity in Tucson. Surely your landlord must have termite treatments for his property. Perhaps you could get the company he uses to give you a one-time visit for a small fee. If you have to find your own expert, go with a local service. They are much cheaper than the nationwide companies you see advertised on TV, most of their reps used to work for those companies, and they are very knowledgeable about the local pests.

But get it taken care before mating season in late summer. Crickets lay hundreds of eggs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $74,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House