Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-03-2008, 09:55 AM

2,743 posts, read 14,295,043 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry chickpea View Post
You are talking about the yoke. Working inside a tv or CRT monitor is extremely dangerous. Some capacitors can hold a killing charge for days, and the glass near the yoke is extremely thin and if broken will cause the tube to implode flinging tiny shards of glass and phospors everywhere, including eyes and imbedded into hands. If you absolutely must do this, set the unit in a metal dumpster and lob a rock over the edge of the dumpster onto the tube. Sometimes it'll pop quietly, sometimes it'll be a big bang. Once the glass is broken, use thick gloves to work in the remains.
Since I have all the TVs I'd really like to finish up with them. We were told by the neighbor to smash the part that covers the copper with a hammer to release any charge. If we're talking about TV's that have been unplugged and in the shed for over a year is it still as dangerous (electricity wise)?

Thanks for the advice... we certainly don't need glass in the eyes or any of that for a few bucks.

As for freecycling and giving stuff away, I am all for it and it is normally what I'd do. Right now though, I need some cash which is why I asked about the other options.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2008, 01:49 PM

27,232 posts, read 46,654,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poltracker View Post
Don't know where your from but around here the unscrupulous have been stealing alot more than that. The phone lines are constantly being hit and ripped off and not in isolated areas either. AC units at churches and schools have been hit hard too. Also had some problems of folks stealing bronze fixtures at churches and cemetaries as well.
Right now, they are looting all the debris left behind by hurricane Ike. I guess I really do not object to that as long as it is in a public place, has clearly been discarded, and not on private property (however destroyed it is).
Generally, persons who are into recycling via dumpster diving do practice good ethics. Which include staying off of private property without prior permission (especially for commercial dumpsters), leaving things as neat as you found them (or better), and being respectful.

If folks would like to recycle and do not know where to start, here is a good website: Earth 911 » Making Every Day Earth Day, Reduce, Reuse & Recycle, Green Lifestyle
Backflow preventers...for some reason they cost a lot, and bring forth a good payoff. So that's why people are stealing those.

I don't even know exactly what they are!

Old 10-03-2008, 02:01 PM

3,702 posts, read 18,213,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmic View Post
The new slick scam is to come around midnight and cut the catalytic converter off your car. Nice money in a small package. Duh, they even have a special tool to make it easy and quick.

Yeah, platinum is primo when it comes to prices in recycling.

I agree. Seperation is the key.

Old 10-03-2008, 02:28 PM

3,020 posts, read 25,732,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fierce_flawless View Post
Since I have all the TVs I'd really like to finish up with them. We were told by the neighbor to smash the part that covers the copper with a hammer to release any charge. If we're talking about TV's that have been unplugged and in the shed for over a year is it still as dangerous (electricity wise)?
I don't think the idea of smashing the CRT's (that tube thing is a good one). They are not that fragile. Just handle it carefully. Unplug the connector on the back of the tube. There can be a lil electronic board, it should just unplug. Then you loosen the band that hold everything in place by backing off the bolt, everything slides off the yoke. That gets the copper windings in your hand, they can then be further disassembled. There is no charge normally on the yokes. You actually break the CRT's by hitting on the thin yoke area if that is required. Not for the rookies, it is covered with a blanket / some type of matting, sort of like forming a blast shield and hit just so with something like an axe or sheer. You really want it secured in a stable mode. Do not try this at home, it again is not something for the rookies. Better off taking them to your local recycling center or trying to sell at a yard sale.

Yes, the capacitors are still dangerous after sitting for long periods. All those parts are in the power supplies or inside that metal cage. Some of the chassis's are aluminum and you can strip all the electronics and sell that but it is not much. In fact the entire recycle value of a TV or computer monitor is pretty low with your backyard techniques, maybe something like a buck on a very good day. The electronic parts can be recycled but it is only done in bulk type quantities.

A good technician can find some spare parts but even that is more difficult these days. The total recylce value even with slick systems is probably again only a few bucks, if they reuse everything including glass, plastic, etc. You need huge quantities to make it pay.

If I didn't really know what I was doing might pass, there is a risk there. Far better to go after washer / dryers. Lot more copper, no real risk, the sheet metal can also be sold. Around my area anything remotely having some sort of scrap value disappears quick. But you do have to understand where the danger might be in the process.

Your typical home trash items do not have vast quantities of copper. Real money is in scrapping out wiring, old plumbing, industrial type waste. Good money in old aluminum storm window frames but like all things you need quantity to actually make it pay. You probably will not pay for the gas to take it to the scrap yard. Even recycling aluminum cans you need a vast quantity to make it worth firing up the truck. In my case, I don't make a scrap run until I am well over a couple hundred pounds. That is like at least 12 of those huge bags with crushed cans. Pretty much a full truck load, piled up a bit is my normal load, takes a year or two to collect that much.

Something like 28 twelve ounce cans make a pound, lately been scrapping for something in the 86 cent / pound rate. Gold and silver and precious metals is the only thing paying top dollar in small amounts.

As a contractor I used to save all the scrap from various jobs. Again, it had to be enough quantity to make it worth the trip. Typically those only occurred maybe twice a year and I had a truck and trailer full.

Old 10-13-2008, 06:48 AM

11,944 posts, read 14,781,454 times
fierce I think you didn't read things quite right-- freecycle has posts of people wanting you to come take away their scrap (fridge, broken washer etc), not just offering working things. You'd also be permitted to post weekly that you WANT broken appliances for scrap. Electronic business card as it were.

Old 10-13-2008, 07:05 AM

1,853 posts, read 9,687,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
Backflow preventers...for some reason they cost a lot, and bring forth a good payoff. So that's why people are stealing those.

I don't even know exactly what they are!
They are heavy brass checkvalves that allow water to flow only in one direction.

They are required by the health department in all mobile concession trailers. They were around 80 bucks new. Probably more now.

Old 04-13-2010, 09:26 PM

1 posts, read 6,470 times
I like this post. I wish there was a way to see where all the copper is and for sure how to remove it from tv. I notice a couple down the street from me had a bunch of broken tv in the alley, I ask what was going on and they told me they took out the copper. but they wouldn`t show me where or how. I am on disablety so a little extra money would be helpful.they said they only get .50 cents per tv, but if there not willing to share it must be more, LOL. anyway I`ll keep checking. Maybe someday I`ll find out. thanks for your help. D.O.M.

Old 03-07-2011, 09:03 AM

1 posts, read 5,507 times
if you have any kind of fan that is not working the motor inside of them may have coper inside it may be a little hard to get out but if you save all your coper until you have a lot then it is werth geting all the coper from any where you can, things that you can find coper in are fans motor, old tv, old blender ect, also if you save all the wiers off things you may also get money for them just cut them off old appliences an save up.

Old 03-07-2011, 02:41 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,802,285 times
I met a guy (drug addict) who offered to go "scrapping' with me. He told me that in "rish" areas that he knows people are always throwing away lod TVs on trash day. He sait that yu can rmeove the copper from a TV and get $5 for it. It takes "less than an hour" to remove the copper from two televisions (he offered to split the take with me if I woudl around and pick up the TVs with him). All said and done, after paying for gas, we could make something like $1.98 an hour!.

Now, if i am trowing away an appliance or TV, I put it out a day early so that the "Scrappers" can get it and recycle it. I wonder what they do with the remains? THey certainly are nto paying a dump fee to take them to a dump. Hopefully they just put the remains out int heir trash, and do nto throw them into a nearby river or stream.

Old 03-09-2011, 10:31 PM

2,035 posts, read 3,350,353 times
I can ask my b/f tomorrow - he scraps as a part-time job. He does pretty well. People ask him to clean their yards, land (we live rural), basements, attics, etc. He has had tons of old copper wire recently - but it was covered with plastic, rubber, whatever. He had to peel all of that off with plyers (and heavy gloves) and it took DAYS. The place where he takes it wont take ANY copper that has anything else with it, or on it. They wont give you copper prices for it that way, anyhow.

He works hard but enjoys it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House