Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-03-2008, 03:48 PM

16,062 posts, read 26,743,916 times

Advertisements

The funniest thing with our garage door was there was no door to get into the garage (detached), so when the power failed, we couldn't get into the garage! We had to break the window and climb in....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2008, 04:19 PM

8,652 posts, read 17,240,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
1. Start your car.
2. PLace the gear lever in reverse.
3. Release the brake while tromping heavily on the accellerator

VIOLA! Garage door is open!
My wife did that, but she was going into the garage....

Old 10-03-2008, 04:35 PM

5,826 posts, read 9,608,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by veuvegirl View Post
The funniest thing with our garage door was there was no door to get into the garage (detached), so when the power failed, we couldn't get into the garage! We had to break the window and climb in....
This is what I was thinking all along, too. When I had my garage built in FL, it was to also serve as my ride-out building during hurricanes - so there were intentionally no windows. When the automatic doors were installed, the first thing that came to mind was, how do I use the doors without the opener? Like suppose I don't want to carry the remote around with me when I am in the yard doing things and don't particularly want to carry a key for the pedestrian door either?

Outta luck.

I didn't discuss this in advance because it never occurred to me that I wouldn't have a handle on the exterior of the garage door. Shows what I know... I was shown the lever and ball on a string on the inside, but you know, when a nudist is outside doing things, there really isn't any place to carry a remote or a key. Contrary to what some people do, I like my doors to be closed when not in use. And when they are closed, it would be nice if there were a handle on both sides of the garage.

Maybe in my next life....

Old 10-03-2008, 05:46 PM

3,020 posts, read 25,732,227 times
Default None of it is rocket science.......

Duh, the dude did not put a handle on my door.

So buy said handle, install said handle, be able to open said door.

And yes, you must have the proper balance springs properly installed. Said door if properly installed has very lil apparent weight. H,mmm was this always this difficult. I remember always opening the door manual. Duh, my garage has no door, so what is the problem.

Old 10-06-2008, 09:05 AM

140 posts, read 859,566 times
There also used to be a kit aval (my dad had one on his last home) that used the old key cylinder hole in the door. It had a one end of a cable attached to a key cylinder and another to the manual release on the inside, so if the power went out you could unlock the cylinder from the outside and pull the cylinder out along with the cable and release the opener arm. His garage didn't have a usable outside service door.

Old 10-06-2008, 10:21 AM

7,474 posts, read 22,880,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AliceT View Post
This is what I was thinking all along, too. When I had my garage built in FL, it was to also serve as my ride-out building during hurricanes - so there were intentionally no windows. When the automatic doors were installed, the first thing that came to mind was, how do I use the doors without the opener? Like suppose I don't want to carry the remote around with me when I am in the yard doing things and don't particularly want to carry a key for the pedestrian door either?

Outta luck.

I didn't discuss this in advance because it never occurred to me that I wouldn't have a handle on the exterior of the garage door. Shows what I know... I was shown the lever and ball on a string on the inside, but you know, when a nudist is outside doing things, there really isn't any place to carry a remote or a key. Contrary to what some people do, I like my doors to be closed when not in use. And when they are closed, it would be nice if there were a handle on both sides of the garage.

Maybe in my next life....
They make accessories to open the door from the outside, for just your situation. You can either get one with a key, or a touchpad. It's small, has a weather cover and is super simple to instal. Mounts on the outside, you either lift the cover and hit your code, or insert a key to open it.
if your a nudest, the keypad sounds like the solution for you... Or wear the key around your neck.....

Old 10-06-2008, 11:30 AM

35,879 posts, read 77,491,785 times
The keypads are great. We installed one ourselves in our previous home and have one to install for this home, but just haven't done it yet.

Old 10-06-2008, 05:53 PM

4,704 posts, read 25,299,067 times
The keypad will only work when there is power.

Just a note. You should be able to pull the rope and dis-engage the door latch.
Open the door, It should slide up fairly easy.
To check the balance.....open the door a few feet off the ground, then let go. It should pretty much stay in the open position give or take an inch or two.
It is Balanced.

If it slams to the ground, the door is NOT balanced and need to be repaired.

Old 10-07-2008, 05:56 AM

20,793 posts, read 61,303,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by schu0786 View Post
Hi everyone! I just purchased my first home (had it built), and I have a few questions, but the first one I'd like to ask concerns my garage door:

My builder installed (for a pretty penny) a garage door opener. Now, during my walk-through, I noticed that there was no exterior handle on the door, so I asked: how do I open the garage door if the power goes out? He didn't have an answer; he just said: "you don't". Can that possibly be true? If my electricity goes out, is my car stuck inside of my garage with no way of opening up the door??? Is there anything I can buy for or alter in the garage door mechanism that will allow me to raise it manually should the power go out? I just feel very uncomfortable with the way it is now.

Thanks for your help!
Keep in mind that all of the suggestions given are for opening the door from the INSIDE of your garage, not the outside. If you don't have a way into your garage other then the large door, you might be in trouble.

Old 10-08-2008, 01:41 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,802,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgal View Post
Keep in mind that all of the suggestions given are for opening the door from the INSIDE of your garage, not the outside. If you don't have a way into your garage other then the large door, you might be in trouble.
No. My method works from the outside as well. Someone said that their wife employed that method from the outside.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House