Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2011, 10:13 AM

10,801 posts, read 14,858,122 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjcochran View Post
I have the same problem also I bagged some up and am taking them to the county extension office. I got on here hoping someone would know what they are....
I got em too but in the bathroom. It appears they were coming out of the bathtub drain but I couldn't believe it having never heard of such a thing.

Very small, very hard to get. Hundred and hundreds of them and we keep a clean house. What are they exactly?

Got exterminator coming over.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2011, 05:04 PM

1 posts, read 416,381 times
Did this 5 minutes ago and it has over 10 flies trapped! Thank YOU soooo much!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tesaje View Post
They are vinegar flies. The easiest solution is get a glass, pour some apple cider vinegar in the bottom. Get a white sheet of paper and form a wide cone with a narrow opening at the bottom and tape it so it holds the shape. Insert the cone with the narrow side down into the top of the glass. Make sure the cone does not touch the vinegar and that it seals the top of the glass. Set this near where the files are. They will fly into the glass after the vinegar and not be able to get out. In a few days, they will not be bothering you anymore and you will not be exposed to toxic sprays.

Old 09-03-2011, 11:00 AM

6 posts, read 426,489 times
They are a type of fruit fly that can come in on potato, onion, fruit, houseplants...etc. Their life cycle is a day so if you can kill them all in a day or two they should be gone. If they are concentrated in one area- stand there with a can of lysol spray. Spray it on them and they drop straight down and wipe away. Clean your areas, lysol, bleach, vinegar... and spray everyone you see for a few hours all day..... they will die and you can stop the cycle. No bug spray in the kitchen- I don't like insecticides, especially around food. My hubbs doesn't like the smell of vinegar so this takes care of that!

Old 09-03-2011, 11:33 AM

44,540 posts, read 61,201,075 times
Do you have house plants, if so they're more than likely 'fungus gnats'. Google Fungus Gnats for description and eradication.

Old 09-03-2011, 11:59 AM

3,158 posts, read 4,562,856 times
Growing up we called em Nants, they are harmless just pest tho..Come from fruit especially organic that not been sprayed..They are very small so they get through window screen and attractive to lights being on...There season short.....

Old 09-06-2011, 07:58 AM

24,334 posts, read 22,881,617 times
I saw them outside going after pumpkin flowers and on some rotten tomatoes in the garden. They always find a way in the house when it gets cooler.
They are a pain but they sell fruit fly traps. The old fashioned fly sticky traps also work if you put a little banana or something on it. We call them sour flies. We had a bad infestation and I had to use a vacuum to suck them up. You'd see them on the walls, cabinets, drapes. Just put the vacuum hose up to them and suck them in.
One suggestion was to put something they like in the microwave, leave the door open and after a few hours, slam the door shut. Then turn it on for a minute. Clean.
In a related topic, we took a preemptive move against stink bugs and took down the window air conditioners last week. That should keep most of them out, although they still get in the attic somehow and then creep down from there.

Old 09-12-2011, 11:06 AM

1 posts, read 416,462 times
I live on the lake front in Chicago. They just started this year in the early spring, but I can't seem to get rid of them. I have always had houseplants, but none of these little buggers. I want to get rid of the little bugs, not my houseplants. Help!!!!!

Old 09-12-2011, 11:26 AM

41,695 posts, read 74,634,436 times
Holy annoying insect, Batman! Everyone's talking about different types of bugs here!

Sewer flies, or moth or drain flies, are small and black, and usually are found around drains:

They lay their eggs in the goo that's in your drains. Get rid of them by keeping your drains clean. Baking soda and vinegar, with a hot water chaser, works well. You can keep a fine mesh over your basement floor drain to keep them from coming up there, but they'll also travel up to higher drains.

Fruit flies, or vinegar flies, are smaller than sewer flies and yellowish brown, usually with red eyes:

They lay eggs in vegetable matter. Get rid of them by eating your fruit and veggies, or keeping them in the fridge until you do so!

Fungus gnats are even teenier. They often live on house plants, sucking the moisture from the leaves.

Old 09-12-2011, 02:26 PM

74 posts, read 565,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
Holy annoying insect, Batman! Everyone's talking about different types of bugs here!

Sewer flies, or moth or drain flies, are small and black, and usually are found around drains:

They lay their eggs in the goo that's in your drains. Get rid of them by keeping your drains clean. Baking soda and vinegar, with a hot water chaser, works well. You can keep a fine mesh over your basement floor drain to keep them from coming up there, but they'll also travel up to higher drains.

Fruit flies, or vinegar flies, are smaller than sewer flies and yellowish brown, usually with red eyes:

They lay eggs in vegetable matter. Get rid of them by eating your fruit and veggies, or keeping them in the fridge until you do so!

Fungus gnats are even teenier. They often live on house plants, sucking the moisture from the leaves.
I agree with this post. I see them all the time in the fall and in the spring. Did not know what the technical term was, but in the trade, we call them drain flies. The drains are the first place I would start in trying to get rid of them. I would be cautious about pouring hot water down the drain because if you have PVC or ABS drainage, you may melt the pipes. I typically use a lysol/bleach mix to get rid of them.

Old 09-12-2011, 02:42 PM

41,695 posts, read 74,634,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tumbleweed118 View Post
I would be cautious about pouring hot water down the drain because if you have PVC or ABS drainage, you may melt the pipes.
I'm sure you mean boiling water. Because hot water goes down the pipes every time we wash our dishes or our clothes, or take a shower.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House