Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-06-2008, 09:44 AM

1,692 posts, read 3,537,524 times

Advertisements

They are driving me nuts. They are like little fruit flies but we have no fruit. They are mostly around the kitchen sink. Has any one had these and how to you get rid of them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2008, 09:55 AM

1,502 posts, read 7,377,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michiganmom48 View Post
They are driving me nuts. They are like little fruit flies but we have no fruit. They are mostly around the kitchen sink. Has any one had these and how to you get rid of them.
Do you have any plants in the kitchen? I know I used to get little flying bugs in my kitchen that came out of the dirt from a flower I had on the counter. I moved the plant outside and the bugs were gone.

Old 10-06-2008, 10:08 AM

1,692 posts, read 3,537,524 times
No plants. We have something the farmers are growing close by but not that close. I don't know if they could be from corn. We have no garbage disp. we do have air right there. They have been around for about a month. I want to spay but don't know what to spray

Old 10-06-2008, 11:30 AM

3,517 posts, read 13,257,914 times
They are vinegar flies. The easiest solution is get a glass, pour some apple cider vinegar in the bottom. Get a white sheet of paper and form a wide cone with a narrow opening at the bottom and tape it so it holds the shape. Insert the cone with the narrow side down into the top of the glass. Make sure the cone does not touch the vinegar and that it seals the top of the glass. Set this near where the files are. They will fly into the glass after the vinegar and not be able to get out. In a few days, they will not be bothering you anymore and you will not be exposed to toxic sprays.

Old 10-06-2008, 01:27 PM

1,024 posts, read 4,138,039 times
You might want to buy a few rolls of the stick tape that is being sold at Homes Depot or Lowes. It attracts the flies and they stick to it. It doesn't look very appealing, but it will get rid of them.

Sandy

Old 10-07-2008, 11:43 AM

1,820 posts, read 4,491,434 times
HI there~

We have them as well, funny, I was just talking to a friend this morning about them....
we thought they were fruit flies, we get them every,single year at this time only though! in the fall!
I did have some bananas on the counter but got rid of them because I thought that was the problem. She said that she doesn't have any fruit out though and that they do tend to be coming out of the kitchen sink!
We have been putting plastic bowls with apple cider vinegar mixed with a little amount of dish soap and then coverning them with plastic wrap (saran wrap) and stretching it as tight as you can over the bowls. Then you pierce the plastic with a fork and they go in and can't get out,due to sticking to the dish soap! I am telling you, there must have been 35-40 bugs in one bowl at the end of the day yesterday!

Not great having little bowls sitting around your kitchen counters,but it does seem to be working right now.....

Good Luck~

Old 10-08-2008, 01:39 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,772,406 times
Get some raid Fumigators (not foggers) Follow the directions. Easy to use. even kills mice

Old 10-08-2008, 05:16 PM

3,020 posts, read 25,728,087 times
Default They probably are a type of fruit fly......

They are everywhere. Definitely see them around fruit stands.

The cause is anything of a vegatable or fruit nature and maybe other food items. Once you get them, you tend to have lots of them, their life cycle is quick. Especially true in the warmer climates or months of the year. Anything of a fresh food nature usually is dangerous to leave lying around. Peels in the trash is a definite no-no. I bag it all immediately and take it out to the garbage can, never leave it in the house.

You do not need to have food accessible. Even bits of food in the sink strainers will do. Clean the strainers often and hose down the drain areas clean. Colder weather usually turns them off. One way I have to deal with them is to get the shop vac and suck them up. Lil buggers can't fly out of that vortex. Works on moths and a bunch of the others.

Best way is don't leave anything for them to be attracted too. I've even taken to storing things like potatoes in the fridge crisper. Clean is very in.

Old 10-09-2008, 06:31 AM

8,411 posts, read 39,253,321 times
Wipe everything down with strong bleach water. And I mean EVERYTHING. top to bottom.
Where you cant use bleach use cleaner.

Boil water and dump it down all your drains with dishsoap. Do a couple sessions.

Dont forget to clean under the sink and other areas where moisture pops up.
(like the fridge pan underneath)

Old 10-09-2008, 08:27 AM

1,820 posts, read 4,491,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pitt_transplant View Post
Wipe everything down with strong bleach water. And I mean EVERYTHING. top to bottom.
Where you cant use bleach use cleaner.

Boil water and dump it down all your drains with dishsoap. Do a couple sessions.

Dont forget to clean under the sink and other areas where moisture pops up.
(like the fridge pan underneath)
We have done this,over and over. As has my friend... we keep pretty "tidy" homes to begin with... the bugs are still here and there are more today because it is warmer outside. Right now, I think that this area (I can only speak for where we are) seems to just be proned to them at this time of year.... the bleach seemed to help for the day we did it, but they are back... Nothing on the counters as far as food,etc...
they are just here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House