Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2008, 10:23 AM

849 posts, read 1,947,849 times

Advertisements

I just vacuum with my Dyson and then mop with water and vinegar. I have a steam mop, which works fine, but I got tired of stopping to refill with water (have to wait 5 minutes to cool down) and having to unplug and plug into another outlet because the cord is not very long. We have three kids and lots of pets, so having a good vacuum like Dyson is a must.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2008, 11:01 AM

641 posts, read 2,360,914 times
The best thing , and I love it is the bissel steam mop. If you can find an original model, mine cleans the grout too. My shark did not do that. It just cleans with steam and water, and I find it does better than a regular mop, and leaves them shiny.

Old 07-08-2010, 03:08 PM

10 posts, read 36,950 times
I know this post is old maybe i should start a new one, but i just had my tile professionally cleaned and I wanted to share my awesome results. They had this tool that shot power steam on the floor and it transformed the grout and the entire floor so that it looks new again. I have used the Hoover FloorMate and had good results too, but it broke and my tile was noticeably cleaner than ever after a professional cleaning. I even decided to reseal the grout, it was so clean. They recommended it and offered to charge me for it but I bought a gallon of sealer for $90 from d's and did it myself.

You can find them if you search google "tile cleaning scottsdale" they were the 1st natural result and they have a video of their tool. I dont think that i can post links yet but ill try:
Grout & Tile Cleaning - Professional Steam Cleaning - Phoenix Area

Last edited by travelingsoul; 07-08-2010 at 03:18 PM.. Reason: addition

Old 07-08-2010, 04:03 PM

8,869 posts, read 16,266,754 times
I have ceramic tile that I HATED cleaning with sponge mop, water bucket, etc. At my house, there's no place to dispose of that filthy water except the kitchen sink. Yuck. Christmas 2008 I gifted myself with a Bissell steam mop and it proved to be the best present I've had in years.

I got mine from TV's Home Shopping Network when it was their special of the day, so I only paid $80. Target and Sears sell them for about $100. To me, it's worth every penny. I like that the steam is very hot, so you know germs are being killed without having to use chemicals.

If your floor is really dusty, the steam will gather the dust up in long strings that you have to pick up from the floor, but you can solve that by giving the floor a quick once-over with a dry dust mop before you steam. The microfiber cover that goes over the mop's steam head can be put in the washing machine. I've been using the same two that came with the mop the entire time I've owned it.

As Nikkzone said, it's still not a perfect solution because the cord is kind of a pain to deal with, but it's no different than a vacuum cleaner. My mop holds enough water for me to do one room, then I have to add more. But it uses regular tap water.

I've never used the Shark steam mop but I have a friend who is a real germophobe and she has one, so it can't be all bad. The Shark has a triangular-shaped mop pad, so that might get in corners better than my Bissell. But the Bissell head rotates completely, so it does the job.

Old 07-08-2010, 04:21 PM

537 posts, read 1,540,820 times
You can pour nasty cleaning water in the toilet and flush it.

Old 07-08-2010, 04:23 PM

19 posts, read 52,627 times
Swiffer Sweepers work great, I've heard bad things about the WetJet though.. Plus, they're 1/4 of the price of the steam mops and they have pads that both come in wet and dry forms... versatile if you ask me. Try one of those, it's a pretty low-cost and effective solution. If that doesn't work, get a steam mop, guessing you don't have enough money for iRobot Scooba...

Old 07-08-2010, 11:24 PM

8,869 posts, read 16,266,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheArguer View Post
Swiffer Sweepers work great, I've heard bad things about the WetJet though.. Plus, they're 1/4 of the price of the steam mops and they have pads that both come in wet and dry forms... versatile if you ask me. Try one of those, it's a pretty low-cost and effective solution. If that doesn't work, get a steam mop, guessing you don't have enough money for iRobot Scooba...
I used a Swiffer and a WetJet at various times. I didn't think they actually cleaned much. More like they pushed the dirt around. The pads are hard to keep on the mop head, have to be replaced constantly, and are disposable, rather than washable. The WetJet leaves chemicals on the floor -- not good if you have kids or pets. The Swiffer is fine as a dust collector, but not to clean food and grime in kitchens. Yes, they are cheaper in the short run, but not in the long run.

Old 07-08-2010, 11:42 PM

4,948 posts, read 18,652,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Husker Fan View Post
What's the best way to clean tile floors? I have a small broom vacuum that seems to get the loose dirt, dust and dog hair up what would you recommend for cleaning spills, spots, etc.? I see "steam mops" advertised. Do they do a better job than just a damp mop?
Tile floors are hard mostly the grout. I did get a steam mop from
amazon and got there credit card to save 40.00 I read reviews and did get
the eurekia. You can go to Amazon and read the plus and minus of them all.
Once a year I have the tile guy clean with his truck! The grout is the dirt
magnet! I have heard the orcek orbiter works however it is costly so I call the grout guys. the Eurekia had some great reviews on Amazon and is cheaper
than the shark.

Last edited by maggiekate; 07-08-2010 at 11:51 PM..

Old 07-10-2010, 06:54 PM

149 posts, read 532,112 times
I purchased one of these Eureka floor steamers about a year ago and have been very happy with it. With 3,500 sq. ft of Travertine, 2 boys, and 2 dogs, this little machine is just awesome . I use the cleaner with regular small towels. I think they work better than the cleaning pads that come with the machine.

Old 11-16-2015, 10:55 AM

13 posts, read 8,759 times
Thanks for all the advice. One thing not mentioned: grout & the loss of the "shine" that happens with all these methods (I've spent the $$ & given away the equipment.) Cleaning & then sealing the grout are a pain. +
Some things are best left to the professionals. One person mentioned Arizona Grout & Tile. A flyer sent to the house said Sir Grout? Thoughts & thanks in advance.

+ (I know, that's why I'm doing Caesar or Silestone on my Kitchen backsplash next remodel, even if it's not an AZ look.)

Last edited by yellowbelle; 11-16-2015 at 04:59 PM.. Reason: foul language not permitted
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House