U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2008, 01:04 PM

160 posts, read 495,208 times

Advertisements

Try Kaboom to get them real clean, then apply regular old Rain-X for windshields. The Rain-X does a beautiful job of repelling water spots and keeping the doors looking clean and clear.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2008, 12:20 PM

2 posts, read 9,547 times
Default Cleaning Shower Doors.....

October 31, 2008
Happy Halloween!

Afternoon all!

Some good news and some not so good news on cleaning glass shower doors and/or enclosures:

A small list of cleaners that should be avoided because they scratch your glass or tarnish and/or scratch the metal:

* Bleach or bleach based products
* Steel or Teflon pads
* Abrasive or soft abrasive powders or liquids
* Vinegar or vinegar based products

** A sure fire way to keep your shower looking new is to squeegee after every shower. Now I know that is almost impossible but its true. In the meantime if you can not do that "every" time there are products that you can apply to help your glass resist mineral build up.

** Glass Surface Protector

Mineral deposits from your water is the most damaging to your surface. Soap scum can be removed, however, if you already have mineral deposits on your glass and it has a "fogged" or "hazy" look then it is time to replace it.

The Bath Enclosure Manufacturers Association ( BEMA) has recommended cleaning products on their site:

** bathenclosures.org

Happy Showers!

Danya, Director/CFO
A Better View Glass & Mirror

Old 11-01-2008, 06:14 AM

1,238 posts, read 1,714,947 times
Try cleaning with a baking soda paste. If that doesn't work try lime-a-way. Last resort, new shower doors. Anyhow, after you get them clean use some type of wax, then make sure they are wiped down after each use. It takes just a few minutes and saves a lot of scrubbing later. Other family members don't want to do their part? Turn off the breaker to the water heater and tell them they'll get hot water when they clean up after themselves. Worked like a charm for me.

Old 11-04-2008, 07:44 AM

2 posts, read 8,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stacbus View Post
Ok, I've dealt with some showers before, but this is starting to be a pain. I have scrubbed the glass doors with white vinegar, tilex, scrubbing bubbles, and soft soap. I give up! I let all of them sit for 5-10 minutes, got in there and scrubbed away with a brush. Rinsed. NOTHING!
It's as if these little grubby drops are all over the shower. I hate it!
If anyone has a clue after all of these, I would love to hear it! It's become a mission to get them clean and sparkly! (FYI: my fiance rented his house out for a year, the guy that rented it, did not clean it once in a year; hence, the buildup...gross!)
Thanks!
Hi,

Think this product could help you for the future. It makes the glass repel water and Makes cleaning much easier.

[url=http://www.taps4less.com/PP/SG-001.html]Showerguard SG-001 Protects Shower Glass, Mirrors and Glazed Surface From Scum. - Bathroom Taps and Showers[/url]
[url=http://www.truerooms.com/Glass-Protection.html]Glass Protection - TrueRooms.com[/url]

I hope this helps,

John.

Old 01-19-2009, 04:17 PM

2 posts, read 9,547 times
Exclamation Please do not use Rain-X.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Debi18 View Post
Try Kaboom to get them real clean, then apply regular old Rain-X for windshields. The Rain-X does a beautiful job of repelling water spots and keeping the doors looking clean and clear.
Rain-X is designed for exterior surfaces. It is NOT recommended to use on interior applications. Rain-X breaks down and leaves a residue on the inside of the shower/tub floor and can be hazardous.

Please do your research.

ABVglass

Old 01-19-2009, 04:59 PM

14,135 posts, read 7,218,300 times
Easiest thing I've found is a squeegee after every shower. Works like a charm - no scrubbing and no chemicals

Old 01-19-2009, 06:03 PM

1,076 posts, read 2,823,767 times
^ what about for DH that would not DREAM of squeegee after his shower?

Would me squeegee after my shower daily and some sort of Tilex help keep down the soap scum?

What about using Dove soap or liquid soap only? I read that Dove and liquid soap does not contain talc which is the main culprit of soap scum

Old 01-19-2009, 06:20 PM

5,971 posts, read 12,302,009 times
I use diluted Lysol 4-in-1 on everything. It has replaced Windex, Tilex, 409, and every cleaner there is. I use it on glass, acrylic shower doors, mirrors, granite, tile, ceramic, porcelain, etc. etc. I use 3 parts water to 1 part Lysol in a spray bottle. For tougher cleaning, I increase the strength to 2 parts water and 1 part Lysol. I've been using it for a year now and one bottle goes a long way. I just don't use it on hardwood floors. I also wipe down appliances with it. It is a great disinfectant for toilets (not the bowl) and countertops without the strong bleach smell.

Old 10-25-2009, 03:03 AM

1 posts, read 3,934 times
I know this is an old thread. I have tried many of the suggestions, they work ok but are quite cumbersome and time consuming. What I have done for years when I see water spots developing on my glass shower doors (and car windows) is to take a sheet of paper towel, hold it against the glass, spray it with vinegar until completely wet, and repeat for section after section. Pat each piece down until it is flush with the glass. Wait an hour or so (do NOT let it dry or the minerals just adhere back to the glass again), then I take off the paper towels and scrub with the rough side of a sponge. Use a razor blade on anything I see left.

Cider vinegar also seems to leave a bit of a shine so water rolls off the glass better. I have thought about spraying the door with vinegar and just leaving it there after every shower, but haven't ever tried it.

Old 10-25-2009, 05:37 AM

3,388 posts, read 8,063,633 times
I hate the glass shower doors but what we did that seemed to help is just that with the vinger but I bought a quart sized pump garden sprayer to use for that. A lot easier than spritzing that large an area with a handheld.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House