Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2008, 12:41 AM

3 posts, read 16,570 times

Advertisements

Ok, I've dealt with some showers before, but this is starting to be a pain. I have scrubbed the glass doors with white vinegar, tilex, scrubbing bubbles, and soft soap. I give up! I let all of them sit for 5-10 minutes, got in there and scrubbed away with a brush. Rinsed. NOTHING!
It's as if these little grubby drops are all over the shower. I hate it!
If anyone has a clue after all of these, I would love to hear it! It's become a mission to get them clean and sparkly! (FYI: my fiance rented his house out for a year, the guy that rented it, did not clean it once in a year; hence, the buildup...gross!)
Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2008, 08:58 AM

20,549 posts, read 30,278,287 times
I am sorry you are having such problems. I had the same trouble in Florida with glass shower doors and our motorhome windows. It's the water. I never did find a good solution. I even tried CLR to no avail. I am also curious if anyone has a solution.

I swore I would never ever have a clear solid glass shower door again. The beveled or wavy doors don't show the spots. Also for a pre treatment put wax on the glass.

Lisa

Old 10-07-2008, 09:15 AM

49,990 posts, read 63,301,795 times
I don't have glass doors anymore, but I've heard that shampoo works well, or dishwashing liquid (this is all I use on my tub and sinks anymore..sparkly). If the glass has been etched by harsh chemicals, you're sunk. If it is hard water stains, you can try ammonia, too.

Old 10-07-2008, 09:17 AM

973 posts, read 3,294,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stacbus View Post
Ok, I've dealt with some showers before, but this is starting to be a pain. I have scrubbed the glass doors with white vinegar, tilex, scrubbing bubbles, and soft soap. I give up! I let all of them sit for 5-10 minutes, got in there and scrubbed away with a brush. Rinsed. NOTHING!
It's as if these little grubby drops are all over the shower. I hate it!
If anyone has a clue after all of these, I would love to hear it! It's become a mission to get them clean and sparkly! (FYI: my fiance rented his house out for a year, the guy that rented it, did not clean it once in a year; hence, the buildup...gross!)
Thanks!
Is this a build-up of soap scum??? If so, take a straight edged razor and srape off the bulk, then spray on some soap scum remover to break down the rest. Afterwards, use a glass cleaner to shine it up.

Bear in mind, hard water leaves residue, as does soap, so this will only keep the glass doors nice and clean till the next time you use it.

I bought a house where the former owner never cleaned the soap scum build up. After 4-5 zaps of Tilex, I scraped my fingernail over it and realized I needed to do something else. The razor did the trick.

Old 10-07-2008, 10:04 AM

12,283 posts, read 35,581,650 times
i've always used Scrub Free (yellow label) - and I truly don't have to scrub! (but I do you a sponge and wipe) You can see the soap scum just drip down.

Once you get the door clean, you have to invest in a squeegy and wipe down the doors after EACH shower. This is a must to keeping them looking good.

Old 10-07-2008, 10:08 AM

2,358 posts, read 5,968,897 times
I clean our glass shower doors with those Mr. Clean eraser sponges. Works like a dream. It does take a little elbow grease, but it really works. After I get the scum off, then I use glass cleaner to shine them up.

Old 10-07-2008, 04:04 PM

7,474 posts, read 22,812,911 times
I have had clear glass shower doors for years, and a mixture of CLR and water with a scouring pad does a perfect job. I clean the whole shower with that. Squirt it on and let it sit a few minutes, and scrum it with the rough pad...
I also use a large squeege and go over the walls, glass and floor to get most of the water off. Then I use the floor towel to wipe the whole thing down so it is completely dry. Doing that every time you shower, it takes a long time before I need to drag out the CLR.. Sure it takes a few more minutes, but I need the exercise and I like it looking perfect all time...
I admit, it might not be so simple with children

Old 10-07-2008, 04:55 PM

1,502 posts, read 7,360,819 times
Funny this question was asked. I have glass doors on my shower as well. I just read in a magazine that I picked up this weekend to use a lemon cut in half and rub the door down. The acid is suppose to dissolve the soap scum and leave the glass shiney. I have not tried it yet so if anyone does they can comment on how well it works.

Old 10-07-2008, 05:46 PM

15,108 posts, read 27,555,479 times
I read and tried using lemon oil, it takes awhile, but does get them clean. However! they do get yucky again, I've read but haven't tried: after the lemon oil, rinse, dry, etc. and then put a coat of auto paste wax on them.

Old 10-08-2008, 12:03 AM

4,334 posts, read 13,621,854 times
I use a straight edge razor for soap build up areas then SOS pads. Then finally my own glass cleaner. A mix of vinegar and water!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House