Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-10-2008, 12:48 PM

878 posts, read 2,736,393 times

Advertisements

Where does one go to get a window seat or does it have to be custom made?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2008, 01:14 PM

4,334 posts, read 13,657,508 times
Custom made! Unless it is a straight window one and you can find a Hope Chest or kids Toy Box the right height and length. You could make a cushion for the top.

Last edited by Blondie621; 10-10-2008 at 01:44 PM..

Old 10-10-2008, 03:38 PM

151 posts, read 798,570 times
"One" (that is: me) wanted to have one custom made, but DH insists he will be able to do it for me at a fraction of the cost!

Anyways, I guess there isn't too much to them....so I am looking forward to "insisting on particular details."

ETA: and I will be doing my own "custom" cushion, too. Much easier than trying to find what I like. Gotta love Joanns!

Old 10-11-2008, 11:45 AM

10,447 posts, read 49,643,906 times
They are always built into place. Especially if it is a bay window. In most cases they are built to match the color of the cabinetry already in the house but other times they are made to match the color of the furniture.

In either case here are 2 examples of what you are talking about I suspect. I built these from solid maple with 5 coats of clear. No interiors as requested by the customer. We just left the carpet on the floor that was already there and the wall behind it. To do more is wasting money.

Many if not most people ask me to build those tops that flip up with a piano hinge. I beg of you not to consider it. With the front doors you can custom make a nice cushion on top in one piece is one good reason. The other reason is a piano hinge protrudes up and you will have to sit on that bump. They also tend to squeak in time too. Plus they are a tad flimsy and kids will tend to break them.

Hope that helps.
Attached Thumbnails
Window Seat-maple-natural-window-seat-1.jpg   Window Seat-maple-natural-window-seat-bedroom-1.jpg   Window Seat-maple-natural-window-seat-bedroom-2.jpg  

Old 10-11-2008, 01:46 PM

9,480 posts, read 12,111,043 times
How to Build a Custom Window Seat | Step-by-Step | Storage | Living Spaces | This Old House - Introduction

Remodeling : Other : How to Construct and Install Window Seats With Built-In Cabinets : Home & Garden Television (http://www.hgtv.com/rm-furniture-other/how-to-construct-and-install-window-seats-with-built-in-cabinets/index.html - broken link)

Build a Window Seat

architypes.net - Window Seats
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House