Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2008, 07:48 PM

532 posts, read 2,844,716 times

Advertisements

We bought a 10 year old house five months ago with Craftsman garage door opener and it's worked fine until today. It needs a complete overhaul. The repair person came out and explained that the previous owner had called them out a year ago to put a band-aid on the system just to get them through until the house sold. Well, now the repair company wants to replace the entire system (except doors).

The've quoted an enormous amount. I've found the Chamberlain Whisper Drive may be purchased for around $250. We are not very handy, how expensive would it be to hire someone to replace the old system with a new one? I'm thinking it would be more than a clean install since removing the old one is involved. Also, where do I find someone to do the work? HD or Sears or Lowes, this garage door company (if they'll work on a system I'm not buying from them), or should I find a Handyperson? Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2008, 08:00 PM

3,463 posts, read 7,304,241 times
Look in your phonebook (or Google search the Internet) for Chamberlain or Overhead Door in your local area. Also, I think either Lowes or The Home Depot also sells (and installs) Chamberlain.

The size of the opener you will need depends on the size and weight of your garage door. Installing or replacing a garage door opener is not that difficult. I suspect labor costs would be around $200. or so.

Old 10-23-2008, 08:41 PM

7,474 posts, read 22,876,449 times
I had a local GD repairman tell me my two year old opener needed replacement, because he couldn't adjust it to work properly.
He chargeed me $50 bucks and it din't work as good as it did when he arrived, so I got as manual and studid it, followed the different tests, and ended up ordering a new circuit bord and replaced it myself. It works perfectly.
Loke all professions, there are a few god guys, and the quality tapers down from good to worthless. I don;t know if my guy was just stuoid or crooked, but he wanted hundreds of dollars for an easy repair.
I'd do a little investigating before replacing yours. 10 years isn't old for an opener...!

Old 10-23-2008, 08:52 PM

6,864 posts, read 12,071,773 times
If your garage door is aluminum, a sears craftsman door opener will do the job. It cost $150 w/ 2 remotes.

Old 10-23-2008, 08:54 PM

4,705 posts, read 25,291,381 times
Sears openers typically have plastic gears in the motor and they wear out (I had one). They probably replaced the gears and it got them by for a while.

Mine was making a horrible noise so I took a look and saw the shredded plastic from the gears. I called a garage door company and the guy told me he could sell me the gears, and if I was handy, I could replace them fairly easy. He told me that it would be fine for a while, then they would go bad again. Has to do with the motor shafts, etc.

I chose to have them replace my opener. They came out, took out the old opener, balanced and adjusted the door and installed the new opener. My opener was about 12 years old at the time.

Many times the openers will go out because the door is out of balance and they have to work much harder.

I would call a garage door company. You could also call Lowes or Home Depot and they contract with garage door guys. I've just had better luck dealing with the principal vendors.

Balancing a door is not a normal home owner type job. The springs can be very dangerous.

Old 10-24-2008, 07:25 AM

Our double door has just one spring - the repair person said it's supposed to have two. We asked him to add an additinoal spring but he said EVERYTHING needed to be replaced. He suggested a complete replacement for $1500!!!

Old 10-24-2008, 07:56 AM

15,205 posts, read 12,067,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cstleddy View Post
Our double door has just one spring - the repair person said it's supposed to have two. We asked him to add an additinoal spring but he said EVERYTHING needed to be replaced. He suggested a complete replacement for $1500!!!
Is it a double wide door with the spring wrapped around the shaft over the door ?

Old 10-24-2008, 08:18 AM

8,309 posts, read 38,768,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barking Spider View Post
Balancing a door is not a normal home owner type job. The springs can be very dangerous.
Yeah. My dad tried to teach me some handymanliness when I was about 10 years old that had something to do with tensioning the garage door springs. It wound up being a lesson in dentistry. He was using a pair of vise grips to hold the "shaft" in position and tightening the springs with a 1/2" steel rod. The rod slipped out of his fingers and he had his face in exactly the wrong spot. Result: Spitting out teeth.

Old 10-24-2008, 08:20 AM

Bones...Yes it's a double-wide with a single spring just over the top of the door (on the right side-perhaps one is missing on the left)

Here's what's included...18x7 overhaul kit, 2 high cycle torsion springs,bearing, plates, cables, drums, rollers, svc call and time/travel. lifetime warranty

Last edited by cstleddy; 10-24-2008 at 08:22 AM.. Reason: added info

Old 10-24-2008, 10:10 AM

15,205 posts, read 12,067,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cstleddy View Post
Bones...Yes it's a double-wide with a single spring just over the top of the door (on the right side-perhaps one is missing on the left)

Here's what's included...18x7 overhaul kit, 2 high cycle torsion springs,bearing, plates, cables, drums, rollers, svc call and time/travel. lifetime warranty
A double wide door will require 2 springs ( one on each side).They should be matched ( so the old has to be replaced also)
$1500 seems a bit much for what is being done and you still have to purchase and install an opener !!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House