U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 10-15-2008, 12:50 PM

493 posts, read 1,045,678 times
Default storm windows - worthwhile?

I have been contemplating installing storm windows on the outside of my regular windows on my house. I can't seem to find information stating how much energy ( heat ) I might save by adding the windows. Existing windows are anderson double hung high efficiency.

Anyone know of how much savings storm windows might add?

What I am looking for would be single pane window that can be attached outside the existing window that is double hung - slides up and down. I don't want a single pane that can't be opened to allow ventillation. Does such a thing exist? cant seem to find it.

thanks
Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2008, 09:08 AM

3,021 posts, read 15,684,604 times
Default Probably not a winner

Storm windows are nice if you have the older windows. In many cases they were essential.

If you have the newer energy efficient windows with no air leaks, maybe low E rated and properly installed they will not be such a great deal. Additional window barriers are nice and they do save a tad but the question would be how much. Probably not enough to make it worth the cost if you have to pay the going price new.

Storm windows are still available but most will be the standard double hung type design. In a way they are a pain too clean. A good storm window is probably close to the price of a good replacement window. There are different styles, one is like a flange type mount external, the other mounts within the opening of the outside trim. There are no single large pane designs that can be opened that I have ever seen. There are single glass storm windows but they usually are a permanent mount and cannot be opened in any manner. They are a custom type installation, you found them like over bay windows.

Unless your present windows leak a lot it is not cost effective to buy new storms. It was an older technology and way of saving energy before the advent of the modern window designs. Today the most effective method is just replace the entire window with something of a modern efficient design.

Old 10-17-2008, 02:31 PM

15,820 posts, read 28,610,104 times
Look at Invisible storm windows (google search). They go inside the house not outside. However some brands are two pieces so that you can open the windows.

Old 10-23-2008, 10:47 PM

1 posts, read 8,793 times
Does anyone have interior storm windows? I have lovely, old, wavy glass windows with those awful aluminium combination storm windows outside. I'd love to get rid of the outside storms and install interior storms, but I don't know how well they work.

Old 10-24-2008, 08:47 AM

1,518 posts, read 3,094,247 times
Storm windows are no where near the cost of a good replacement window! I would not install them though if you already have newer windows. We have storms on out home, but our windows are original to our house. They help a little, but not enough to be worth the trouble and cost of buying and installing them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House