Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-19-2008, 09:15 AM

124 posts, read 461,866 times

Advertisements

Does anyone have any experience with this? I love to cook and much prefer gas cook tops to electric but the majority of houses we are seeing in our house hunting have the latter. They do seem to have a gas water heater listed however, which I'm assuming means there is some sort of gas line going to the home. Is it difficult/possible to utilize the existing gas line to install a gas stove and if it is possible, does anyone have ideas on how expensive it is or if a line to a water heater has enough gas to handle a stove as well?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2008, 09:43 AM

50,288 posts, read 47,043,365 times
They can run another line from the main and it's no problem in most cases. Might run you a few hundred but imo it's worth it. Minor detail.

Old 10-19-2008, 09:58 AM

7,474 posts, read 22,882,304 times
Every situation is different, I'd call a plumber and get an estimate. it's mainly a labor charge, the pipe is cheap.
I had an all electric house and recently had the GasCo install a meter so I could put in a new gas furnace. At the same time I had them put in gas lines to the stove, W/H, and dryer. The charge to install the extra lines was very small, however it would have been a lot more had they not been doing the rest of the work.
Now I have gas available to those locations so if I ever change those appliances, I will switch to gas.
By the way, the latest trick thing for kitchen stoves is a combo gas/electric range. Talk to your dealer about that. Some things are better with gas, some with electric, so new stoves are available with the combo...! Very cool stuff..
Don't thank me, just send me a pie...!

Old 10-19-2008, 01:49 PM

4,704 posts, read 25,301,161 times
Juliema, you are thinking along the right track. Gas lines need to be "sized" for the appliances they are going to serve. The water heater may be at the end of the run and is maxed out on the sizing, so if you add a range, it won't perform like it should.

You have to know the btu rating of the range you are thinking about, and then a plumber or heating contractor can size it correctly and run the gas line. Different trades deal with running gas lines in different parts of the country.

The good thing is you do have gas in the house, and it's probably not a huge job to run it. A crawlspace house is easier than a slab for instance.

Old 10-19-2008, 02:06 PM

7,099 posts, read 27,184,501 times
It's a good idea. I would love to have an electric oven and broiler. But there isn't anyway I would do without a gas cooking surface. It's especially nice during storm season when we may be without power for a couple of days or longer, but I can still light the top burners with a match!!

Old 10-19-2008, 02:12 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,404,950 times
I hear you! I would not look at an all-electric home, for that reason. I'm all about the cooking, and I'm also a control freak about having my burners set just so.

If I bought a house with both and the kitchen was electric, the first thing I would do would be to change that.

Old 10-19-2008, 04:13 PM

23,600 posts, read 70,412,676 times
We have a JennAire combo gas cooktop, dual electric oven, with one oven being a convection oven. It is a pretty nifty combo, but the gas controls on the side make the five burners crowded. We also found that it is possible for a burner to go out and just be dispensing gas without any flame. We got a gas leak detector for the kitchen because of this.

Old 10-19-2008, 04:24 PM

7,474 posts, read 22,882,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harry chickpea View Post
We have a JennAire combo gas cooktop, dual electric oven, with one oven being a convection oven. It is a pretty nifty combo, but the gas controls on the side make the five burners crowded. We also found that it is possible for a burner to go out and just be dispensing gas without any flame. We got a gas leak detector for the kitchen because of this.
Bad thermocoupler.....? sounds like it..

Old 10-20-2008, 09:12 AM

23,600 posts, read 70,412,676 times
Don't think a thermocoupler is involved. With pilotless ignition, the sparking occurs to light the flame, but if the power is out the flame can be lit with a match. Once the flame is lit, quickly turning it all the way down (opposite direction to the off position) will sometimes extinguish it. We could set the control limiter to a slightly higher flame, but even the smallest burner tends to be a little hot for a simmer setting, so we don't want to go that route. There is an audible whooshing if the gas is coming out unlit, so we have caught the problem the few times it has occurred. Still, it is enough of a concern that I figured a gas detector was cheap insurance. It will go off long before the gas gets to explosive levels.

Old 10-20-2008, 05:02 PM

1,236 posts, read 3,116,923 times
You may have trouble with the regulator or meter. Both would the gas co.s baby. Give them a call. If it is your stove, which I doubt, they may charge you for coming out, but this situation is dangerious.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House