Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2007, 05:59 AM

237 posts, read 1,029,274 times

Advertisements

We have a house we like with a first floor master. We have never had a first floor master but am thinking I kinda like the idea. I think in the day of baby monitors, 2-way intercoms, etc it is a nice way to have some privacy. Just curious what others think that have first floor masters, are considering first floor masters or would not consider first floor masters and why
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2007, 06:20 AM

5,743 posts, read 17,594,046 times
We are ONLY considering houses with first floor masters, which is making things rather difficult in this land of colonials.

Our previous house in Dallas was a 4/3/2 ranch. But, the whole time we had it we kept saying "Wouldn't it be nice if the 2 kids' bedrooms, one of the bathrooms, and one of the living areas was on a 2nd floor". So, now we're looking for a home with that type of floorplan.

Old 02-16-2007, 06:21 AM
bta

284 posts, read 1,885,077 times
When my wife and I were looking for houses - we ruled out any house with a first floor master. We did this because when we were kids - we hated being on a separate floor from our parents (at least when we were little ).

Now on the other hand, my parents just bought a house, and they ruled out anything without a first floor master. They are retired and like the idea of shutting off the second level unless they have guests staying with them.

So from my limited yet highly scientific polling of 2 families - the conclusion I've come to is young families prefer a master up and retirees prefer a master down. I won’t disclose in this thread which triangle school taught me the scientific method.

Old 02-16-2007, 06:23 AM

546 posts, read 2,416,801 times
I never liked the idea when I had infants. Too many middle of the night trips up and down the steps... Also did not love the idea of a toddler making the trek in the dark but now that my kids are school age it really appeals to me. In fact we are looking at a house with a downstairs master right now.

Old 02-16-2007, 06:36 AM

110 posts, read 332,537 times
Maybe it's the "city person" in me (I'm from NJ) but as we look for houses I'm having some trouble feeling comfortable with the idea of sleeping on the first floor.

I'm sure I'll get over it.

Old 02-16-2007, 06:45 AM

2,834 posts, read 12,030,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nclover View Post
I never liked the idea when I had infants. Too many middle of the night trips up and down the steps... Also did not love the idea of a toddler making the trek in the dark but now that my kids are school age it really appeals to me. In fact we are looking at a house with a downstairs master right now.
I have to agree completely.........with younger kids I just don't want to have to go up and down the stairs in the middle of the night, or for them to have to. Now, when my kids are older, I definitely see a great appeal to it!

Many new homes have the guest room down to give the guests that feeling of having some space!

Leigh

Old 02-16-2007, 07:09 AM

693 posts, read 2,760,212 times
Master downstairs can be convenient but some people (like me) like having the master away from the living area, on the second floor.

One thing to keep in mind is that in general, downstairs masters are usually smaller than upstairs masters. This is no rule by any chance but it's difficult to find a large master downstairs.

Old 02-16-2007, 07:14 AM

1,453 posts, read 5,147,867 times
From a professional standpoint I recommend first floor masters, here's why: 1.) NC is quickly becoming a hotspot for retirees, and some MUST have 1st floor master because they aren't physically able to get up and down stairs. 2.) Even if you don't fit this category, you may have elderly parents that you may need to care for and they need a first floor master. And finally 3.) If you fit neither of the above, there may come a time that you need to put your home on the market. If you don't have a master down, you'll be limiting your target population of buyers. Just a "Heads Up".

Old 02-16-2007, 07:19 AM

1,611 posts, read 4,846,254 times
Another consideration is that if you have 2 zone a/c & heat, if you will mostly be on the 1st floor you could save a good amount of $ on utilities.
We have young kids so we ruled them out. But, I have to say that we saw tons of them here in Wake Forest and the floorplans were really nice.

Old 02-16-2007, 07:23 AM

5,743 posts, read 17,594,046 times
Stop trying to convince everyone that they need a first floor master!

We're having trouble finding one as it is. We don't need more buyers competing with us once we do find one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House