Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-20-2008, 11:03 AM

3,371 posts, read 13,372,803 times

Advertisements

We tore out an old tub/shower and lo and behold behind the drywall there is a big window (okay, I obviously knew the window was there since you can see it from outside the house but I wasn't sure exactly where in the bathroom it would be). It is in the middle of where the tub is located, on the side. We were planning on tiling the entire area, but now we are questioning what to do with the window.

Prior to now, the window had been sealed and drywalled over. Therefore, no natural light in the bath. I would love to have natural light in the bath, and I have seen houses that have windows in the shower. What are your thoughts on this? Aside from the obvious regarding privacy when bathing, how is this accomplished today? Is the window usually replaced with something that cannot be opened, just a permenant pane of glass and then you tile around that? (My house is about 100 years old, so if we left the window we'd have to replace it no matter what.) It seems like with anything that could be opened/closed, you bring in the factor of water damage.

Any thoughts? Anyone been in this situation?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2008, 11:54 AM

41,948 posts, read 75,144,160 times
I've seen glass blocks used beautifully in that situation, with the tile framing the window instead of wood. You can opt for a vent, or not. Different types of glass blocks provide varying privacy.

You could probably also install a standard double-hung window, again frame with tile, and use a curtain of some sort. I've seen it both ways.

Old 10-20-2008, 12:03 PM

13,648 posts, read 20,767,629 times
I have a double hung window right in the middle of the shower. A rather inane design concept, but its there and that's that. So, to protect the wood, I painted it with boat paint. Works great. For privacy, I invested $7 and sprayed the glass with spray mist. I then hung a plastic shade.

If money is not object, I would have a small window put in, but at least above shoulder level. One of those small rectangular shaped ones with sliding glass.

Old 10-20-2008, 12:26 PM

3,371 posts, read 13,372,803 times
This is my dilemma, exactly like you said. Either drywall over it again and cover a window, or keep it there and have to replace it with something. Either replace it with a regular window, which is...odd...to me (having a double hung in a shower??) or like you said, instead putting in a small window up high. That way light comes in, you can vent the room a little, but you aren't standing right in front of a window and spraying water everywhere. I would prefer the little window up top, but then what would you do with the rest of the former window space? How would you handle covering it from the inside or the outside? I know a professional would be able to do it, but I'm trying to picture it in my head...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moth View Post
I have a double hung window right in the middle of the shower. A rather inane design concept, but its there and that's that. So, to protect the wood, I painted it with boat paint. Works great. For privacy, I invested $7 and sprayed the glass with spray mist. I then hung a plastic shade.

If money is not object, I would have a small window put in, but at least above shoulder level. One of those small rectangular shaped ones with sliding glass.

Old 10-20-2008, 01:15 PM

4,705 posts, read 25,289,485 times
You might want to use the width of the window opening, but keep the window close to the top and fill in the bottom with wall material. Glass block or fixed glass.

It will let in light, but the sill is not in an area where shower spray will get into the wood, and then the wall.

If the window is in the shower, it should really be safety glass.

Old 10-20-2008, 01:30 PM

13,648 posts, read 20,767,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pearlbob View Post
This is my dilemma, exactly like you said. Either drywall over it again and cover a window, or keep it there and have to replace it with something. Either replace it with a regular window, which is...odd...to me (having a double hung in a shower??) or like you said, instead putting in a small window up high. That way light comes in, you can vent the room a little, but you aren't standing right in front of a window and spraying water everywhere. I would prefer the little window up top, but then what would you do with the rest of the former window space? How would you handle covering it from the inside or the outside? I know a professional would be able to do it, but I'm trying to picture it in my head...
Well yea, you are standing right in front of it, at least I am in mine. That is why I used boat paint- to protect the wood so that is does not rot. And the spray on glass frosting helps with the privacy. A shade takes care of the rest.

Now, how would I go about refitting it with a smaller window? I would have to hire someone as that is beyond my skill level. Call some contractors and get some bids.

Old 10-20-2008, 03:39 PM

4,705 posts, read 25,289,485 times
A lot depends on the exterior material of the house, but here goes.
Say the window is 36" wide and 30" high. The top of the window is usually about 80" from the floor.
There is a header in the opening (wood framing inside the wall). So you could if you wanted open it tall the way to the floor if you wanted (like for a door), because the header is holding up the roof framing.

Say you want to just put in a window that is 36" wide and 12" high.
You would put in new wood framing in the opening to close up the bottom 18" or so. On the inside you would cover this part with inside wall material, and on the outside you would have to fill in to match the existing exterior finish material.
YOu would then have a 12x36 window where there was once a 30x36. or you could do one course of glass blocks. Since the opening is "headered off" at 36", you have a blank slate as long as you keep within the 36" width.

Clear as mud now?

Old 10-20-2008, 06:01 PM

3,020 posts, read 25,726,981 times
Default Windows in showers are pretty common

In old houses you find it quite a bit. Probably goes back to the days when they had only a bathtub and at some point it was converted to a shower.

In most cases we did not take them out. It was very common to get rid of all the exposed wood surfaces, either ceramic tile or marble was the common method of making it waterproof. Very common to find a vinyl type curtin that could be drawn during the shower to limit vision and keep the water away.

Glass block is one idea to close off part of it. The other is just move the window up higher. And yes you would have to find some sort of treatment to make the outside look ok. In most cases it will be noticable. Something like vinyl siding you can remove some sections and use longer pieces to complete disguise the window ever being there. It is so much an individual circumstances thing.

The best idea if you want natural light in the shower area is usually a skylight. Most bath you do want at least one window that can be opened.

Old 10-20-2008, 06:11 PM

12,054 posts, read 23,338,402 times
We had a window in our shower in our old home. We put in frosted glass, and we had a lot of light coming in but no one could see in. There are some catalogs that sell window coverings that attach to the window and they have several designs.

Old 10-20-2008, 06:42 PM

17,210 posts, read 57,041,396 times
Our place has a window above the tub/shower, it will open, it matches the rest of the windows in the house. It has a blind over it, and some mosquito-net type curtains. It's high enough up in the shower that with a little care we don't splash any water into it. I personally like it, DW definitely does like the natural light.

I'd take a look at the window you uncovered, if it's in good shape why not keep it? You could put a storm window on the inside, flush, to protect it from water. If you live in a cold climate you may want to put in a "tighter" window if you want a window and the existing one is not tight.

There are all sorts of translucent films you can apply for privacy if that's a concern (we are so far out in the country only cows and horses would be able to see in the window)

Somehow I just don't like walling over a window.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House