U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Unread 10-25-2008, 08:17 AM

1,212 posts, read 3,245,703 times
SG -- Mine is still off... I try to make it to Nov ... but i guess it really depends on the weather.

I did see about a week or so ago, you guys out west had a frost warning... we still have not had one yet. We are getting close though -- i see colder temps early in the week .. upper 20's it looks like.

the house is a tad chilly ... the thermometer/thermostat is reading 65 this morning, and with it cloudy today... not too much radiant heat expected. I can always put on sweats though.

So -- it looks like soon the furnace will be coming on.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Unread 10-25-2008, 08:40 PM

3,735 posts, read 1,985,042 times
My heat's been on for 3 weeks. It's cold here, like the 30s and low 40s at night, and high 40s to low 50s during the day. I keep it at 70 when we're home, and at 66 at night. For a couple of days we had daytime temperatures in the 60s, so I shut it off.

Unread 10-26-2008, 07:00 PM

20,440 posts, read 27,245,062 times
I caved and just turned it on about 30 minutes ago. I looked at the weather forecast and the high temps are only supposed to be in the low 40's for the next few days. If it was sunny the house would stay warm enough but since it is cloudy and windy it is getting cold in here. I try to hold off until Thanksgiving if I can but no luck this year.

Unread 10-26-2008, 11:26 PM

27,239 posts, read 23,963,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sgresident View Post
Just curious as to when people decide to turn their heat on. do you wait for a certain temperature or certain date? I broke down and turned it on today!!!
I don't have heat! I have to add clothes or blankets as it gets colder...

and yup, that time is HERE!

Unread 10-27-2008, 01:02 PM

22,907 posts, read 26,403,034 times
I caved on Sunday morning. It had been cloudy and rainy all day Saturday, and mu brick oven of a house just didn't warm up during the day.

Unread 11-08-2008, 01:15 PM

617 posts, read 2,037,317 times
Wow, I can't believe my heat is still off! I've been on a good roll lately. We did dip to 66 degrees one night, but that was the coldest room of the house. Not bad.

Looks like this Sunday might get the heat on. We actually did turn the T-stat on but it hasn't triggered the system yet. It's set at 65 or 66. I'll raise it up higher as the weeks go on.

Lately midday temp in the house was high 70's.

Unread 11-08-2008, 01:43 PM

3,864 posts, read 7,008,509 times
We shut ours off in May or so, and turned it on about 2 weeks ago when night temps dropped into the 20s for a couple nights.

We paid attention to passive solar principles when we built the house, and as long as it's only partly cloudy or better, we don't need heat during the day, even when it gets down into the teens and 20s. The house holds heat well into the night, but around 3-4 am it starts to cool off. The heat (radiant floor) usually kicks on around 3am, heats to 70 and then shuts off around 9am.

We had our first snow this week - about 2", which was gone in 2 days.

Unread 11-08-2008, 04:38 PM

798 posts, read 1,624,180 times
I don't have a temperature "threshold" in mind, but today was OK; last week was really cold. I have a big house (4000 square feet) with only two of us living here, so I'm trying to figure out what makes sense - room heaters vs. the furnace [can be first or second floor, not even sure how the basement gets heated as it seems warm enough].

Unread 11-08-2008, 05:45 PM

19,883 posts, read 13,256,180 times
My heat stays on year round but I'm in a unique situation. Let me introduce you to my coal boiler:

The reason is twofold. Firstly it has a hot water coil to provide domestic hot water which more than offsets the cost of running it in the warmer months. It just idles along so fule usage is just enough to keep it going. Secondly it will extend the life of it considerably, sounds odd but that is the way it is with coal .This particular boiler is about 25+ years and has an expected lifespan of about 50 years if its ran year round.

If you might be interested in more I made an extensive post here about 3 posts down: Will the Anthracite Coal Industry find a revival?

Unread 11-09-2008, 11:45 AM

517 posts, read 1,166,172 times
WOW, is that energy efficient?

I turned on my heat about 2-3 weeks ago because it got pretty cold. I got oil because I was really low. As soon as I got the oil, the temperature went down. I have not used my heat since then.
So, so far, it's been on for 3-4 days in Oct. and now it's November and I have some windows open.
Crazy weather but keep it coming. I don't want to have to fill up on oil too often. Just to heat my water.
I do want snow in December though. And maybe 1-2 snow days in Jan/Feb. Then I'm good until next fall/winter.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $74,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House