U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Thanksgiving Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2008, 08:50 PM

1,070 posts, read 2,183,781 times

Advertisements

I have a Pest Raider III and have not had a mouse since I got it.
It doesn't typically work for mice already in the home- it will just drive them nuts and they will try to get out. My mom also has a Pest Raider III (has for almost 20 years) and the ONE mouse she had tried to eat/scratch its way through the wall behind the stove! It does keep mice from coming in.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2008, 08:53 AM

8,310 posts, read 21,556,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Padgett2 View Post
However, you can't be sure. There may be more hiding about somewhere.
I'm afraid that I must beg to differ. I'm not sure there is any such thing as a single mouse. A mouse running around in the open in broad daylight is a mother foraging for food. You have a bunch of pink, hairless, baby mice somewhere in the walls or attic.

Cats probably do the best job of controlling mice in your living space (ferocious killing machines) and a professional exterminator will be able to control those in the walls.

Old 10-22-2008, 09:37 AM

175 posts, read 740,626 times
We used Havahart traps. Caught several, then sealed up any potential entry points to the house. No problems since.

Old 10-22-2008, 10:53 AM

1,749 posts, read 4,455,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimboburnsy View Post
I'm afraid that I must beg to differ. I'm not sure there is any such thing as a single mouse. A mouse running around in the open in broad daylight is a mother foraging for food. You have a bunch of pink, hairless, baby mice somewhere in the walls or attic.

Cats probably do the best job of controlling mice in your living space (ferocious killing machines) and a professional exterminator will be able to control those in the walls.
This mouse was dark brown and tiny - the body was no more than an inch to an inch and a half long. It was just after sunset, and it was running along the baseboard along the sliding glass door, and then ran behind the piano. I'm thinking it got in from outside and (hopefully) isn't indicative of a bigger infestation.

For the record, I have a contract with an exterminator who comes in every other month. I live in a townhouse and had some issues with insects when my next door neighbors moved in. The exterminator cleared that problem up right away, and I decided to sign up for regular service as a preventative thing. When they did the first inspection (a little more than a year ago), they found evidence that mice were there in the past, but nothing recent. They are due back on November 4th, so I'll make sure they address the mouse issue on this visit. But meanwhile, I figured I'd ask for advice on how to get this little guy out.

Old 10-22-2008, 11:41 AM

2,462 posts, read 5,655,746 times
Its a field mouse. Dark brown and tiny with giant back legs.

Generally not a house-mouse.

If you don't want to kill the mouse - go to the hardware and buy a "no-kill" mouse-trap.

Bait the trap with something good (bacon and/or peanutbutter work really well) - make sure all other food sources are secured (mouse won't take bait in trap if there is an open jar of peanutbutter next to the trap).

You should be able to trap it in one night.

Put trap out (I set it on kitchen counter) with bait. In the morning check the trap - there shoudl be a cute scared field mouse looking at you.

The lid lifts off the trap - so take it outside (far away from your house) and release it. Probably a hawk or owl will get it, but at least you're giving it a chance.

If you don't care about not-killing it -- get one of those snap/spring traps, or a glue trap. Baiting them will help as well as otherwise the mouse has no reason to go near them.

Make sure you find out where/why the mouse got into your house -- SEAL THAT ENTRY POINT.

For everyone who says you have an infestation - that's not necessarily true.

For example: I moved into my then-new house and within about 6 months started to notice that something was disturbing my fruit on the counter. I then realized there was mouse-droppings on the counter as well. I immediately went out - bought a trap, and proceeded as described above. That same day, I searched for the entry point -- I found that the holes under my sink cut to let in my utility lines from the crawlspace were HUGE. A boston terrier could have come through that hole - let alone a tiny 1" field mouse!! We trapped the mouse that night, drove it to a field 5 miles away and released it the next morning. We also blocked EVERY SINGLE hole from the inside of our house to the outside (plumbing holes, gas line holes, electrical, etc..). NO MORE MOUSE. Didn't see another one for YEARS ... until..

Mouse #2. Came into the kitchen in the morning to find a field mouse in my stainless steal sink, trying to jump out. The sink was too deep and too slippery - so he was trapped. I "caught" him in an upside down glass and relocated him. What suprised me was "how did he get inside??". I started looking around the house and realized that we went to bed the previous night with the doorwall in the adjoining family room open about 2". More than enough room for the mouse to come in. What annoyed me was that the mouse had to come in to the house, make its away across 25 feet of floor, up the cabinets and onto the countertop. During this, not my 27 lb dog, nor any of my 3 cats noticed or did anything to impede the mouse!!! Apparently, they all slept through it!

Once we removed mouse #2 and made sure we always CLOSED the doors/windows -- we had no more mouses for the remainder of the time in that house (10 yrs total).

So... sometimes a single mouse is just a mouse! Not an invasion.

Old 10-22-2008, 11:57 AM

1,749 posts, read 4,455,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Briolat21 View Post
Its a field mouse. Dark brown and tiny with giant back legs.

Generally not a house-mouse.

If you don't want to kill the mouse - go to the hardware and buy a "no-kill" mouse-trap.

Bait the trap with something good (bacon and/or peanutbutter work really well) - make sure all other food sources are secured (mouse won't take bait in trap if there is an open jar of peanutbutter next to the trap).

You should be able to trap it in one night.

Put trap out (I set it on kitchen counter) with bait. In the morning check the trap - there shoudl be a cute scared field mouse looking at you.

The lid lifts off the trap - so take it outside (far away from your house) and release it. Probably a hawk or owl will get it, but at least you're giving it a chance.

If you don't care about not-killing it -- get one of those snap/spring traps, or a glue trap. Baiting them will help as well as otherwise the mouse has no reason to go near them.

Make sure you find out where/why the mouse got into your house -- SEAL THAT ENTRY POINT.

For everyone who says you have an infestation - that's not necessarily true.

For example: I moved into my then-new house and within about 6 months started to notice that something was disturbing my fruit on the counter. I then realized there was mouse-droppings on the counter as well. I immediately went out - bought a trap, and proceeded as described above. That same day, I searched for the entry point -- I found that the holes under my sink cut to let in my utility lines from the crawlspace were HUGE. A boston terrier could have come through that hole - let alone a tiny 1" field mouse!! We trapped the mouse that night, drove it to a field 5 miles away and released it the next morning. We also blocked EVERY SINGLE hole from the inside of our house to the outside (plumbing holes, gas line holes, electrical, etc..). NO MORE MOUSE. Didn't see another one for YEARS ... until..

Mouse #2. Came into the kitchen in the morning to find a field mouse in my stainless steal sink, trying to jump out. The sink was too deep and too slippery - so he was trapped. I "caught" him in an upside down glass and relocated him. What suprised me was "how did he get inside??". I started looking around the house and realized that we went to bed the previous night with the doorwall in the adjoining family room open about 2". More than enough room for the mouse to come in. What annoyed me was that the mouse had to come in to the house, make its away across 25 feet of floor, up the cabinets and onto the countertop. During this, not my 27 lb dog, nor any of my 3 cats noticed or did anything to impede the mouse!!! Apparently, they all slept through it!

Once we removed mouse #2 and made sure we always CLOSED the doors/windows -- we had no more mouses for the remainder of the time in that house (10 yrs total).

So... sometimes a single mouse is just a mouse! Not an invasion.
That sounds about right. And I often leave the basement patio door open by a foot or so to allow my 2 dogs access in and out, otherwise I'd be constantly running up and down the steps. There is a vent right next to the door that is in the ceiling of the family room and the floor of the living room, because I have a wood-burning stove in the family room and it allows the heated air to rise to the second level. He could have gotten to the second level through the vent. I guess the mouse wasn't interested in coming into the house in the summer, but now that it's getting colder he was looking for a warm place to hide.

There used to be woods across from my house until they were all cut down last year for a new housing development. Since that time, my yard has become home to a lot of wildlife - especially squirrels and rabbits. I'm sure the field mice have moved in as well.

I'll try your suggestions. I really don't want to hurt the little guy, but I also don't want him in my house.

And I guess I'll have to keep the back door closed. It's just as well, I need the exercise.

Old 10-22-2008, 12:23 PM

1,546 posts, read 3,674,375 times
My last place, a condo, was beside a town center going up downtown and I also had mice problems. Nothing like disturbing acres of land to bring out all the animals and insects. Good luck.

Old 10-22-2008, 12:37 PM

8,424 posts, read 24,256,368 times
Treat your cats for fleas and rabies now. Just in case. Mine got fleas after they killed a fall intruder.

The last apt I was in had mice from dirty tenant or just being an old building....but I didnt kill them. I ran them into a corner and then put a large glass jar down with a black t-shirt over it.Leaving the neck of the jar uncovered so it looked like a big dark hole. It ran right in! I thought it was a fluke and just me being hopeful in thinking mice like to run into darkness for safety. But I caught three of them like that. Pop the lid on quick and take a walk to your nearest park and shake him out by some large tree or wooded area.

Peanut butter works best for snap traps. Everything else they seem to flip it off or dont go in for the full bite. Glue traps are horrible. Dont use those. Your dog will get it stuck to his face maybe and it rips off skin.

Old 10-22-2008, 12:40 PM

15,230 posts, read 25,308,545 times
Ohhhhh. A mouse in a house - cute! Why not turn him into a pet? Mice are so sweet and cuddly cute!!!

Old 10-22-2008, 02:40 PM

8,804 posts, read 22,944,898 times
The "tin cat" type trap won't interact with a dog, unless the dog is as small as a hot-dog. They are a box with a wind-up mechanism, and a passage tunnel through the box. When Mr. Mousie goes through the tunnel, or goes into the tunnel to try to check out the bait, he trips a trigger and is swept into the holding cell by the wind-up mechnism. They can catch, I don't know exactly, something like 10 mice before needing to be emptied and re-wound.

You can put the whole thing in a plastic bag and put them in the deep freeze to kill the mice, or put the whole thing in a tight box with some dry ice.

Or, you can go the trap and release route, although, I wouldn't - damifiknow how to open the trap without the possiblity of the mouse running up my sleeve or pant leg. You could probably set up a push-pull stick and string.

IMHO the proper attitde towards mice is wrath - kill, kill, kill without mercy!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House