Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2009, 03:48 AM

2 posts, read 49,567 times

Advertisements

Need info about countertops and quality cabinets. My zip is 77520. I am building a brand new home with help from my brother and will sub out what we can't do. Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Old 05-13-2009, 01:08 PM

10,447 posts, read 49,516,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pmurray View Post
Need info about countertops and quality cabinets. My zip is 77520. I am building a brand new home with help from my brother and will sub out what we can't do. Any info would be greatly appreciated.
If you read this thread all the way back you will find lots of info on your question. I am way too close to you geographically to offer direct contacts without it being considered advertising which is not allowed here. But if you ask I will send you the info where the heavily discounted cabinet places are near you.

Old 05-15-2009, 04:32 AM

2 posts, read 49,567 times
desertsun41
Will you send the info where the heavily discounted cabinet places are near me. Thanks for all the great input!!

Last edited by pmurray; 05-15-2009 at 04:34 AM.. Reason: changed the wording

Old 05-22-2009, 12:11 PM

3 posts, read 73,701 times
Desertsun41--what do you think of Timberlake cabinets?

Old 05-22-2009, 04:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATWT View Post
Desertsun41--what do you think of Timberlake cabinets?
Timberlake is the low line by American Woodmark which has an exclusive contract to sell in Home Depot stores. Im not completely sure you can buy American Woodmark or it's spin off lines in a private showroom.

Timberlake is ok but are built for large apartments or military housing. That may suggest something to you but they are not bad. I believe they only carry a 1 year warrenty rather then a lifetime like other lines. By the way, Shanandoah is also a product of American Woodmark. Both are considered an upper end builders cabinet. The Timberlake line are also considered builders grade but they go into apartment buildings, military housing and low cost condos and townhouses.

Im a bit surprised you seen them in any store or showroom. I thought they were only available to builders who bought large quanities.

Hope that helps.......

Old 05-26-2009, 10:19 AM

Thank you so much for your input! I was able to see the cabinets at a private showroom with my contractor for my kitchen remodel. I chose (not as a final decision) the upper end (portfolio select) version. I have a large kitchen and the price seemed almost too good. I am going to price Merrilat cabinets to get a better sense of the cost. Again, thanks for your input!

Old 05-26-2009, 08:27 PM

Quote:
Thank you so much for your input! I was able to see the cabinets at a private showroom with my contractor for my kitchen remodel. I chose (not as a final decision) the upper end (portfolio select) version. I have a large kitchen and the price seemed almost too good. I am going to price Merrilat cabinets to get a better sense of the cost. Again, thanks for your input!
I'm happy to help. Good luck wih your kitchen..........

Old 05-28-2009, 01:58 PM

Desertsun41---I talked to my contractor about the Timberlake product and told him I wanted to get price quotes on other brands...in particular Merrilat. He also mentioned Bruce cabinets. Do you have any thoughts on that brand. Thanks in advance for your AWESOME help!!

Old 05-29-2009, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Desertsun41---I talked to my contractor about the Timberlake product and told him I wanted to get price quotes on other brands...in particular Merrilat. He also mentioned Bruce cabinets. Do you have any thoughts on that brand. Thanks in advance for your AWESOME help!!
Merillat will be a tad more expensive then Timberlake in the standard Classic series. The Merillat Essentials will be cheaper but options and colors are limited. Merillat Masterpiece is very very expensive but is of the very highest quality. They have over 200 finishes and door syles available.

I may be embarrassed to say I never heard of Bruce Cabinets till just this week where I argued hell no Bruce only makes floors. Turns out Bruce does make cabinets too but I know zero about them. Must be very new. I might only say that Bruce Hardwood floors have always been the best and maybe just maybe they should stick to what they do best....at least in this economic depression when competition is fierce.

I'll tell you one new one I am way impressed with. Covered Bridge Cabinets. These are RTAs but these the consumer assembles them quite different then the Chinese brand junk as well as the few other USA brands. Covered Bridge Covered Bridge Kitchen and Bath Group - Home is made in the USA and is priced really well. They supply steel L shapped clips rather then the standard cam lock assembly. I was impressed. Colors and styles are limited but the 6 available styles seem to cover the most popular. They are out of Pennsylvania but have dealers all over the USA.
Their web site does not have a dealer search by zip, you have to write or call which I too will be doing shortly because I might like to carry this product. At least give it a try. I like them that much !

In the end I will always stand by Merillat. They are the largest and oldest cabinet maker in the world. I have some complaints with the lack of some items I would like to see offered but overall they got their sheet together. And they always stand by their "cabinets in 5 business days" slogan. No one can touch that delivery time. Pay Friday and have your kitchen at your front door by next friday. Compare that to everyone else who are 3 to 14 weeks.

Good luck.......

Old 07-14-2009, 08:36 AM

1 posts, read 24,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertsun41 View Post
Maybe I can help with your question. I been designing, building, installing and selling cabinets for more then 30 years. I have had my mitts on every brand that exists except some foreign brands and of course the new Chinese brands that are beginning to be shoved and forced into our market. Too bad people are falling for these due to their low cost.

First off DO NOT buy an imported Chinese made cabinet. In China little to nothing is regulated as you all know and they make their particle board boxes with very heavy use of formaldehyde. This will make you sick. They are also very ugly. Most are plastic like finish with a very very high gloss finish with strange colors like bright red or blue or yellow. In China they do not have drawers in kitchens, only doors.

Some one a couple posts above mentioned Merillat. That happens to be the brand I recommend first as it has been in my showroom for at least 25 years. In recent years I will not touch another brand. Honest ! Merillat is the oldest and largest cabinet company in the world. Merillat Masterpiece is Merillat's high end cabinet and is made by Kraftmaid but stamped as Merillat. Just like Kenmore makes appliances for Sears and Sears puts their name on it.

A few mentioned Kraftmaid. Just so you all know. Merillat is a Masco Company. Masco owns many cabinet companies including Kraftmaid, Mills Pride, Quality Cabinets, Cross Creek and several more. Masco owns 90% of the world market in faucetts. All the names you know like Delta, Peerless, Aqua Glass and more are all Masco products.

Other simular good quality cabinets are Wood-Mode, Cardell, Karman, Masterbrand, Mastercraft, UltraCraft, Norcraft, Armstrong. There are some very very high end production boxes like Omega. The biggest junk on earth next to Chinese cabinets are IKEA or Cabinet Tec.

You cant really go wrong with any of these quality brands I mentioned and Im sure I left a few out. Another real piece of trash are those unfinished birch faced with corrugated cardboard cabinets sold by Home Depot. How they can sell those things with a straight face floors me. Why anyone would fall for laying out money for one insults me.

One thing is for sure though, and I said this so many times on here so forgive me for saying it again: Refacing cabinets are far more expensive then buying brand new cabinets. Any day any time any place. Refacing is like you wearing a nice brand newly pressed suit and tie while wearing dirty old sneakers. And you still have old filthy rotted interiors.

And another thing. Do not pay anyone retail price. Your big box stores like Home Depot and Lowes charges full list price. I call that rape. You would not pay sticker/list price for your new car then dont pay it for cabinets. Almost every area has a discount building supply place.

If you have any questions I would be happy to answer.

Best of luck to you......
What about Haas?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House