U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2008, 12:20 AM

385 posts, read 1,824,593 times

Advertisements

I would really appreciate if anyone could tell me some names of some good kitchen cabinet brands so that I can take a look online. I'd love to get the framed cabinets if I can afford them

Or just tell me brands to avoid!

thank you

Old 10-28-2008, 02:21 AM

214 posts, read 647,494 times
Merillat builds good cabinets, reputable company as well.

Old 10-28-2008, 02:37 AM

2,756 posts, read 5,880,239 times
We have Kraftmaid in our new construction. We did the "Venicia" euro line (frameless) in our kitchen and we're really happy with them. But in the bathrooms and laundry room we did the framed line, and they're nice.

Sage

Giving money and power to government is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenage boys. - P. J. O'Rourke

*** Please read the CDF Terms of Service ***

Old 10-28-2008, 05:37 AM

9,255 posts, read 7,874,482 times
Kitchen cabinets, cabinetry design and discount kitchen remodeling ideas from cabinet manufacturer Aristokraft

Cabinets, Kitchen Cabinets, Bath Cabinets, hardware and accessories from Decora.

KraftMaid Cabinetry - Kitchen Cabinets, Bathroom Cabinets & Cabinets Throughout the Home

Old 10-28-2008, 11:56 AM

10,427 posts, read 29,611,491 times
Maybe I can help with your question. I been designing, building, installing and selling cabinets for more then 30 years. I have had my mitts on every brand that exists except some foreign brands and of course the new Chinese brands that are beginning to be shoved and forced into our market. Too bad people are falling for these due to their low cost.

First off DO NOT buy an imported Chinese made cabinet. In China little to nothing is regulated as you all know and they make their particle board boxes with very heavy use of formaldehyde. This will make you sick. They are also very ugly. Most are plastic like finish with a very very high gloss finish with strange colors like bright red or blue or yellow. In China they do not have drawers in kitchens, only doors.

Some one a couple posts above mentioned Merillat. That happens to be the brand I recommend first as it has been in my showroom for at least 25 years. In recent years I will not touch another brand. Honest ! Merillat is the oldest and largest cabinet company in the world. Merillat Masterpiece is Merillat's high end cabinet and is made by Kraftmaid but stamped as Merillat. Just like Kenmore makes appliances for Sears and Sears puts their name on it.

A few mentioned Kraftmaid. Just so you all know. Merillat is a Masco Company. Masco owns many cabinet companies including Kraftmaid, Mills Pride, Quality Cabinets, Cross Creek and several more. Masco owns 90% of the world market in faucetts. All the names you know like Delta, Peerless, Aqua Glass and more are all Masco products.

Other simular good quality cabinets are Wood-Mode, Cardell, Karman, Masterbrand, Mastercraft, UltraCraft, Norcraft, Armstrong. There are some very very high end production boxes like Omega. The biggest junk on earth next to Chinese cabinets are IKEA or Cabinet Tec.

You cant really go wrong with any of these quality brands I mentioned and Im sure I left a few out. Another real piece of trash are those unfinished birch faced with corrugated cardboard cabinets sold by Home Depot. How they can sell those things with a straight face floors me. Why anyone would fall for laying out money for one insults me.

One thing is for sure though, and I said this so many times on here so forgive me for saying it again: Refacing cabinets are far more expensive then buying brand new cabinets. Any day any time any place. Refacing is like you wearing a nice brand newly pressed suit and tie while wearing dirty old sneakers. And you still have old filthy rotted interiors.

And another thing. Do not pay anyone retail price. Your big box stores like Home Depot and Lowes charges full list price. I call that rape. You would not pay sticker/list price for your new car then dont pay it for cabinets. Almost every area has a discount building supply place.

If you have any questions I would be happy to answer.

Best of luck to you......

Last edited by desertsun41; 10-28-2008 at 11:57 AM.. Reason: sp

Old 10-28-2008, 12:45 PM

28 posts, read 145,727 times
Desertsun -- could you pls compare Merrilat and Woodmode? Durability, warranty, customization, service etc?

Old 10-28-2008, 02:14 PM

269 posts, read 1,057,099 times
Desertsun41, very informative post.

Thank You!!!

Old 10-28-2008, 02:15 PM

15,819 posts, read 31,771,034 times
None. Do nto buy a brand. Have your cabinets made out of real hardwood. Costs more, but they are far more durable and better looking too. Unless you are a person who replaces their cabinets every 5 years or so, you are taking a big risk with the pre-made cabinets.

Old 10-28-2008, 03:04 PM

23 posts, read 131,691 times
Yes, I would be happy to talk to you about kitchen cabinets. When we built a new home last year I spent more time researching and hunting down cabinets than I did researching my contractor. Please read Deception or Revenge in Panama City. Anyway, the store cabinets are not only very expensive but also made with alot of fiber board that doesn't hold up well. I ended up with custom cabinets that are not only beautiful and well made but less in cost than many of the stores where you order from a catalog. Also, you can match to anything that you want!

Old 10-28-2008, 05:27 PM

10,427 posts, read 29,611,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
None. Do nto buy a brand. Have your cabinets made out of real hardwood. Costs more, but they are far more durable and better looking too. Unless you are a person who replaces their cabinets every 5 years or so, you are taking a big risk with the pre-made cabinets.
Whataya mean dont buy a brand? What does brand have to do with the material used to build the box? Nothing.

But here is what your getting at so let me clear up another myth about cabinetry that I hope will help people made an informed decision.

For those who complain about using particle board to build the cabinet box I want to to look at this idea. Go into Lowes or Home Depot and go into the lumber section. Go look at the stacks and stacks of all the plywood. The top sheets are all shaped like a banana right? They are all warped. Now go take a look at the stacks and stacks of particle board. Every sheet is flat as flat can be right? Exactly. Particle board is stable and will remain so for a million years. Unlike plywood. Plywood cabinet boxes are not the best and they certiany do not suggest quality.The face frames MUST be solid wood stock or do not buy that brand.

Some of the highest quality brand cabinets have particle board boxes. But, your face frame and doors will be solid real wood. Lessor quality brands will have fake wood doors or just wood veneer doors. Nothing wrong with either. The only problem with particle board is if you ever have a leak and they get wet then they are usually history.

Now......no sense in paying for all real wood boxes when only the end boxes have an exposed side right? So buy particle board boxes and skin the exposed ends with real wood veneer skins. If you look at nearly all cabinets, the face frame extends just past the sides a quarter inch. We call this the ear. You tuck the veneer skin behind this ear to cover the particle board/color keyed melamane sides. I just saved you $2000 on an average kitchen.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House