Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-19-2007, 01:57 PM

43 posts, read 320,298 times

Advertisements

I'm used to plain (read cheap) decks. Having logged 3 trips to Raleigh, it seems like a lot of homes have screened in decks. One builder noted they also screened underneath the deck. Steps might lead down to an outside area for grilling. Some of these deck enclosures are quite grand. Spending some extra money to upgrade the deck to a sunroom would allow the room to be useful year-round.
"I want to paint in the open air," SWMBO scoffed.
"When it's 95 in the summer?"
"I need good light ventilation when I'm working with oils."
"Perhaps you could open the windows..."

Would a sunroom instead of screened-in deck be a plus, or so odd as to detract from resale value?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2007, 02:02 PM

3,124 posts, read 12,666,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin HW Engineer View Post
I'm used to plain (read cheap) decks. Having logged 3 trips to Raleigh, it seems like a lot of homes have screened in decks. One builder noted they also screened underneath the deck. Steps might lead down to an outside area for grilling. Some of these deck enclosures are quite grand. Spending some extra money to upgrade the deck to a sunroom would allow the room to be useful year-round.
"I want to paint in the open air," SWMBO scoffed.
"When it's 95 in the summer?"
"I need good light ventilation when I'm working with oils."
"Perhaps you could open the windows..."

Would a sunroom instead of screened-in deck be a plus, or so odd as to detract from resale value?

Thanks!
No question about it...it's a plus. I have a two story deck...underneath is screened, top is open.

Old 02-19-2007, 02:04 PM

250 posts, read 1,245,777 times
I really love our screened porch. There is a real difference in feel between a sunroom and a screened porch. The sun room really is just another room in your house, whereas a screened porch is an outside room. We use our screen porch nearly year round--except for when its really cold or really hot. We have a ceiling fan which helps to circulate the air. I really can't describe adequately how much we really appreciate and use this porch. It also offers great protection from mosquitos and other insects--just be sure to have the screening installed below the decking floor to, or else critters can skitter in the porch from below.

Re resale value, I think as long as the porch or sunroom is done well, neither would detract from value. In other words, if the addition appears to be an integral part of the existing house (continues roof line, etc), you should be fine.

Old 02-19-2007, 02:13 PM

1,531 posts, read 7,406,783 times
Put me down as a vote for screened-in porches. I have both, actually, and hardly ever use the sunroom. But the porch is definitely used often!

Old 02-19-2007, 02:20 PM

693 posts, read 2,760,582 times
Sunrooms look really nice but they tend to get really hot (read=greenhouse effect) so you'll have to use the AC a lot to keep it cool and comfortable.

Old 02-19-2007, 02:26 PM

823 posts, read 3,922,255 times
I vote for a screen porch. I have so many pleasant memories of my grandparents' screen porch where we ate breakfast and dinner and read in the evening. We could listen to the whipporwills(sp?) and bobwhites and read without insect attack. My dad enclosed the screen porch like a sun room and no one uses it now. It is really like an inside room. Who needs a sunroom that is prone to overheating in North Carolina?

Old 02-19-2007, 03:18 PM

5,299 posts, read 8,253,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alice_61 View Post
I vote for a screen porch. I have so many pleasant memories of my grandparents' screen porch where we ate breakfast and dinner and read in the evening. We could listen to the whipporwills(sp?) and bobwhites and read without insect attack. My dad enclosed the screen porch like a sun room and no one uses it now. It is really like an inside room. Who needs a sunroom that is prone to overheating in North Carolina?
I also have happy memories of my grandparents' screened porch -- lying on the glider reading, listening to baseball on the radio or playing cards with my dad. I have inside cats that like fresh air once in awhile so it would great for them. As posters mentioned above, the sunroom can be used as an alternative to a greenhouse -- great for overwintering tropical and semi-hardy plants. Having both would be nice. I could do without a deck altogether. If your house is slightly uphill you're on display for the whole neighborhood. (We've had to rebuild ours for this reason)

Old 02-19-2007, 03:26 PM

98 posts, read 637,174 times
i vote for screen porch too to keep all those insects out during those nice summer eves on the porch with cool air and if not the fan

Old 02-19-2007, 03:28 PM

1,790 posts, read 6,516,184 times
Yeah my sister has a ceiling fan in her screened in porch and even a cable outlet although so far there is no tv out there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House