Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2008, 06:29 AM

75 posts, read 522,520 times

Advertisements

You guys might know what the problem is here. When the toilet is flushed, or sink is running, dirty water comes up slowly into the bathtub. When toilet/sink are then shut off, the water drains out very slowly. Do you guys think this is a vent problem, or clogged drain that needs to be snaked? Thanks!

BY the way: The house has been vacant for about 1.5 years (owners moved to a retirement community)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2008, 07:41 AM

5,987 posts, read 11,673,736 times
Clean the drain

Old 11-03-2008, 08:22 AM

15,205 posts, read 12,070,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by studedude View Post
Clean the drain
Agree....probably some paper products sitting there for such a long period of time....

Old 11-03-2008, 08:49 AM

8,309 posts, read 38,776,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mookie3333 View Post
You guys might know what the problem is here. When the toilet is flushed, or sink is running, dirty water comes up slowly into the bathtub. When toilet/sink are then shut off, the water drains out very slowly. Do you guys think this is a vent problem, or clogged drain that needs to be snaked? Thanks!

BY the way: The house has been vacant for about 1.5 years (owners moved to a retirement community)
I'm no plumber, but I'm not sure that a vent obstruction could result in the described back-up. That sounds like you have a diaper stuck in the main drain.

Old 11-03-2008, 09:16 AM

10,447 posts, read 49,655,984 times
Yikes!!!
Its hard to say what your problem is from here. Do you hear gurgling sounds? That usually points to clogged vent stacks. The easiest thing to do first before snaking out pipes is take a look up on your roof. You probably have a vent stack about 2" for everything in the home except the toilet which will be another seperate one being 4". Just make sure no bird made a nest on it or maybe bees diidn't cover the opening with a honeycomb. If they all look clear then you do need to have all your drains snaked out.

If there is ever a problem of any kind in drainage, it will always be noticed in the bathtub since it is the lowest drain in the house.

What about the waste outlet? Do you have septic or city sewer? A septic bordering on full can cause your problem too. If you have city sewer the only problem that can happen is if the home is more then 40 years old they did waste lines in clay pipe back then. Clay pipes are not designed to last that long and they just crack and collapse on itself underground in your front lawn and you will never see any visable indication. A pipe camara that most plummers have will verify this.

The house was vacant for more then a year. The standing water in the P traps could have turned into a solid partially. Something you can do before calling that plumber to snake out the lines are take off all the traps and clean them yourself. Obviously you wont be able to do the bath tub one unless you have a basement or crawl space with access.

Hope that gives you some starting places to look.

Old 11-03-2008, 09:21 AM

4,705 posts, read 25,299,067 times
Clogged drain most likely

Old 11-03-2008, 11:49 AM

Thanks for the responses, and its good to hear that most of you think its a clogged drain!!! Either way, I don't think it will be too HUGE of a problem.. Here's why.

The problem described only happens on the 2nd floor bathroom. The first floor bathroom, which is the exact same setup (tub, toilet sink) drains 100% properly. Soemone was telling me that the house was possibly built with no traps, but I would assume that if it was built in this way, both the first and second floor bathroom would operate the same way, but I also saw the trap on the roof which is clear so that is not the problem. The house is ~100 year old brownstone and connected to city sewer. The whole drain system is cast iron with the exception of lead sweeps.

What you are saying about whatever was in the P trap turning into a solid makes sense, but then wouldn't the water just have a problem draining from the tub, instead of water actually coming into the tub from the sink/toilet? There is no gurgling sound when water is draining from the toilet/sink, just a slight gurgling when it is draining from the bathtub. As I said, if it was just gurgling from its own water then I would say it's the vent, but water is coming into the tub from toilet/sink, so I am quite sure the vent has nothing to do with it.

On another note, does anyone have a link to the "insides" of a bathroom plumbing system? Its kind of hard to imagine in my head, a visual might be better. Thanks!

Old 11-03-2008, 02:12 PM

17,216 posts, read 57,072,247 times
From what you have posted it seems to me you have a partial clog in the main drain between the 2nd and 1st floors. You could hire a plumber to clean it out, or if you want to do something DIY you could try the bacteria-based cleaners, put into the 2nd floor sink or tub drain, *if* the problem is something like a diaper or similar plug, it may help.

A pro plumber would be able to run a snake into the 2nd floor commode and clear this out in a few minutes, most likely.

I would avoid any kind of harsh plunging or using air pressure. You don't want to over-stress the old drain pipes, lest you get a chance to find out up close and in detail how they go (went) together!

Old 11-03-2008, 02:25 PM

8,309 posts, read 38,776,945 times
It could also be the case that you have completely separate lines for the first and second floor. Do you know if you have more than one clean out?

Old 11-03-2008, 02:27 PM

I think there is only 1 cleanout. I wanted to avoid using a plumbers snake because a friend told me that since the sweeps are lead, if the snake catches the sweep the wrong way, it can puncture the pipe and then I'd be in for a whole lot of trouble. I may try the chemical cleaner. Could you recommend a specific brand of a bacteria based cleaner? Thanks all for all the great helpful advice!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House