Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-06-2008, 08:04 PM

3,373 posts, read 9,150,561 times

Advertisements

I originally posted this in the real estate forum. But then I was thinking this really is a house issue and maybe I can find somebody with experience.

Had a home that I am buying inspected. We did a home inspection and decided to have the sewer snaked since there are some large trees outside. Home was built in 72'

We went into the clean out in the unfinished basement. Turns out the sewer line is 73'. After we got about 13' into the sewer line until about 44' the camera was completely under water and black. So that is about 31' of pipe that is bellied. Around 12-13' I swore I saw roots. I included a picture. You can see something is touching the water surface. Although, the inspector didn't really mention anything about that spot.

Anyways, if you found this on a home you were looking to buy would you want it remedied before closing?

Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails
Bellied sewer line...??-block2.jpg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2008, 09:22 PM

3,020 posts, read 25,672,075 times
Default Yeah, having standing water in the sewer is not good......

Especially that much water. Over time too much chances of materials settling out, not the proper slope.

If I was buying it, probably want it dug up, inspected and relaid to a better slope. Maybe replace it for the money involved.

Sewer could be acting a bit like the first stage of a septic tank, not good from so many angles, probably only get worse with time. I would not accept that condition for my house if I knew about it before hand.

Old 11-07-2008, 09:32 AM

23,509 posts, read 69,890,838 times
More likely that is some floating poo rather than roots. It needs to be fixed.

Old 12-04-2008, 06:27 PM

3,373 posts, read 9,150,561 times
Well, this is how it all panned out.

The seller agreed to fix the sewer. The 30' inside the confines of the yard. $5000. Then we get to the sidewalk and we found a high spot in the sewer. Maybe about two inches higher than the sewer from the house. So, that was the belly in the line. The interesting thing was there were no roots in the clay pipe and it was in great shape.

But they had to keep digging to get rid of that highspot. So, that ment digging into the street. Which uped the price.

Now, the pipe is "fixed" and eight feet of dirt is on top of it.

Unfortunattly, the result is not as stellar as I would have hoped. The sewer has very very little grade to it. It doesn't slope much at all.

There really was no way to get grade on the pipe. Although, the city inspector was there and signed off on the design.

I don't feel like I will have any problems with the sewer and it sucks that so much money was spent. At least we fixed the high spot in the pipe. And 43' of new plastic 4" pipe was installed.

They also installed two clean outs right before it goes into the house. One goes towards the main sewer line. And the other bends in towards the house. Then their is the existing one in the unfinished basement.

All and all I feel comfortable about the setup. Not perfect having a nearly flat sewer. But I feel it will do its job.

Old 12-04-2008, 07:41 PM

23,509 posts, read 69,890,838 times
Most sewer lines are nearly flat. Strange as it sounds, they work better that way, as long as there are no obstructions or valleys to collect sediment.

"The interesting thing was there were no roots in the clay pipe and it was in great shape. "

Told you it looked more like poo. It still needed to be fixed. You did right.

Old 12-05-2008, 12:50 PM

10,447 posts, read 49,508,076 times
Well one thing is for sure. We never here have seen the inside of a sewer line posted. Im sure glad there were no turds floating.

I also see you have the old clay pipe as you said. They were sure famous for sinking, breaking or just crutting up from the inside.

Glad you got it fixed.........

Old 12-05-2008, 01:49 PM

28,107 posts, read 63,374,410 times
Plastic is the best choice, in my opinion for low-slope installation. Good that you've got ample clean outs... too.

1/4" per foot is what I shoot for... Inspector will sign off on 1/8" here and since plastic is "Slippery" inside... I don't think you will have a problem as long as the pipe has any pitch to the street.

Thanks for posting the follow-up

Old 12-05-2008, 01:58 PM

3,032 posts, read 8,895,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post
Plastic is the best choice, in my opinion for low-slope installation. Good that you've got ample clean outs... too.

1/4" per foot is what I shoot for... Inspector will sign off on 1/8" here and since plastic is "Slippery" inside... I don't think you will have a problem as long as the pipe has any pitch to the street.

Thanks for posting the follow-up
Yep, on one of my rental houses I had to redo all the sewer line from the house to the street (swapping from clay to plastic) and it's a LOOooong run, about 75' as I recall. I did 1/4" to the foot and it's worked like a charm, no problems in ten years.

Old 12-05-2008, 05:25 PM

235 posts, read 1,573,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wankel7 View Post

All and all I feel comfortable about the setup. Not perfect having a nearly flat sewer. But I feel it will do its job.
I would not worry at all with that. We try to keep the sewer and the underground plumbing within the home at a level 1/8 or less. Now adays a gallon a half flush type toilet- waste will flow better at this grade. If given more water will flow and waste will stay within the line. You should have nothing to worry about.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House