Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2007, 08:15 AM

396 posts, read 1,630,439 times

Advertisements

Just in case there is a contractor out here reading this morning....or someone really smart I'm wondering if you know approximately what the cost of bringing gas into a kitchen would be?? I've found a house that I like, but the range in the kitchen is electric. If the cost isn't horrible, I'll just have it changed and buy a new range. There is gas in the house, as the fireplace is gas...the house is on a slab. Any advice or insight would be much appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2007, 08:47 AM

1,453 posts, read 5,147,658 times
I'm not a contractor nor particularly "smart" about it, but I know that the cost varies depending on whether you already have gas available to the house. If you already have a gas water heater or gas logs it wouldn't cost as much as if you have to have the gas company come out and run a line from the nearest connection. I'd call Piedmont Natural Gas and ask for info.

Old 02-21-2007, 09:06 AM

3,365 posts, read 10,019,120 times
Check out this thread.

Gas Company had quoted $450

http://www.city-data.com/forum/charl...lectric-2.html

Old 09-18-2008, 10:04 AM

3,020 posts, read 25,725,980 times
Default It probably depends a lot on the original construction.....

If it is on a slab, then they may have run a gas connection directly under / behind the stove and it is now capped off. If that is the case, putting in a new gas range would be pretty simple.

First thing I would do is move the electric stove and see if a gas connection was / or was not supplied. Probably has a shut off valve and that has a cap on it, or might even be just capped.

If it was not, then somebody would have to figure out how to route a gas line above the slab to the stove. Would vary with the situation, house, construction. Costs could be all over the lot depending on the situation.

In a lot of the slab built single levels, they go up into the attic and back down an interior wall to get gas moved around, can be more of a job than it looks in some cases. In some the gas line may not have been routed to user points in the slab itself and everything comes down from the attic anyway. Main line is pulled up there and that is how it is distributed. Not all houses are built the same.

Would first check if there is one under or behind the stove now, go from there.

Old 09-18-2008, 10:10 AM

3,032 posts, read 8,917,755 times
Yeah, a lot more potentially problematic on a slab than with a basement or crawlspace.

Old 09-19-2008, 05:16 AM

4,705 posts, read 25,287,634 times
Of course check to see if there is a gas line there, but I will bet a dollar to a donut there will not be. Very rarely will I see both in a house.

The one thing that is VERY important is the gas line needs to be "sized" correctly for the needs of the range. There is more to bringing a new gas connection than just tapping off one that is close by.

Think of it like a water hose. You connect a 100' water hose and put a sprinkler on it. It works fine, and covers a large area. But you decide you don't like moving it, so you buy an TEE fitting and hook another 100' hose on with another sprinkler. When you turn them on, you will notice neither one spray as far as they did before. If you start doing laundry while the sprinklers are on, they will go down even more.

My point is that even though there may be a gas line close by, you may need to go back further toward the gas meter and upsize the pipes to accommodate the demand for a gas range. A gas range can use as much gas as a small forced air heating unit.

Usually in slab houses they will go into the attic and come down where they need to.

Old 09-19-2008, 07:46 AM

8,309 posts, read 38,764,983 times
If the house is 1 story with water heater in the attic, the work should not be prohibitively expensive, but it won't be cheap either. This may involve removing sheetrock and considerable time in a hot, cramped attic which tends to drive labor costs up and adds sheetrock repair and painting to the equation.

Old 09-19-2008, 09:05 AM

3,020 posts, read 25,725,980 times
Default They can snake it......

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimboburnsy View Post
If the house is 1 story with water heater in the attic, the work should not be prohibitively expensive, but it won't be cheap either. This may involve removing sheetrock and considerable time in a hot, cramped attic which tends to drive labor costs up and adds sheetrock repair and painting to the equation.
Today a lot of places use a vinyl type tubing approved for gas. They can snake it like a wire. They say it is safe, I guess it must be if not banned in Boston. Actually the stuff is pretty tough, still don't know if I would want to use it.

Old 09-19-2008, 09:30 AM

8,309 posts, read 38,764,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmic View Post
Today a lot of places use a vinyl type tubing approved for gas. They can snake it like a wire. They say it is safe, I guess it must be if not banned in Boston. Actually the stuff is pretty tough, still don't know if I would want to use it.
In my neck of the woods any repair or replacement of the outside lines will be done with that poly-tubing. Apparently it's pretty cool stuff, I just don't know enough about it.

Old 09-19-2008, 10:11 AM
CBB

481 posts, read 2,241,410 times
Why not consider induction? It has the same advantages as cooking with gas and is very energy efficient.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House