Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2008, 05:26 PM

10,447 posts, read 49,646,391 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bydand View Post
Been an Electrician for 27 years here. Without seeing the job first hand, and what had to be done exactly to change those fixtures, 8 hours sounds about right. The one about removing existing lights and installing recessed lighting is where the time would be. Those can either go real smooth, or be a living nightmarish hell on Earth. I would think 8 hours would be spot on, and if $90 an hour is the going rate in your area, that isn't a bad deal. In all honesty, for replacing existing lights with recessed lighting I figure it is going to take 1 1/2 hours per fixture if I have to give an estimate, just to be on the safe side because you just never know what you are going to run into up there. If the time comes in less, you charge for time actually worked, if it goes over, you eat the time.

Side Note: Wish I could charge $90 an hour here. That is way higher than going rate for this area, and an honest double the rate for Northern Maine where I just left.
Bydand can you tell us what the going rate is where you live up in Michigan?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2008, 05:49 PM

3,459 posts, read 5,791,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by summers19 View Post
He charged me $90.00 an hour plus materials.
Bill came to $1,000!
Does this sound reasonable for the work performed?
Did you at least get a kiss?

Old 11-12-2008, 05:54 PM

3,032 posts, read 8,918,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by summers19 View Post
I have hired this electrician before and liked his work. So I just hired him again to install three 6 inch canned lighting, three 4 inch canned lighting, an exhaust fan (exhaust pipe was already there), and switch out lighting over my desk area in the kitchen. He also switched out a light fixture on the exterior wall of my garage. He charged me $90.00 an hour plus materials.
Bill came to $1,000!
Does this sound reasonable for the work performed? Any electricians out there that can tell me if I was taken for a ride this time around?
Reasonable. Next time ask him how long it's going to take, that way you won't have surprises.

Old 11-12-2008, 06:19 PM

12,083 posts, read 38,843,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertsun41 View Post
Bydand can you tell us what the going rate is where you live up in Michigan?
Depends on the equipment used. Straight man hours are between $65 and $75 an hour and if you use a piece of big equipment (ie. Bucket Truck, Scissor lift, etc...) if is between $85 and $100 an hour depending on the size of the piece of equipment and conditions you have to drag it out in. Some guys work cheaper, some higher.

Old 11-12-2008, 06:19 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,464,470 times
We are planning to do something very similar - put in can lights, add two switches, change some wiring so we can install under cabinet lighting (ourselves). We figure it will cost us about $1200 for an electrician, so it sounds on target to me.

DH's brother is an electrician and he told us it would probably be about that range. Unfortunately, we are in NC and he is in MO or we would have him do the work!

Old 11-12-2008, 06:21 PM

841 posts, read 4,838,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlinggirl View Post
Did you at least get a kiss?
That's actually pretty funny. He was flirtatious with me at the end. When I replied "holy cow!" to the amount he quoted, he took off $70.00. Then he said if my husband gives me a hard time about the amount, to call him and he may take off more just 'to make me happy'. Uh, no thanks.
I told him no need for that. Yikes. I like to keep things on the up and up. And by the way, my husband isn't like that anyway...he's a major nice guy and sweetheart.

Old 11-12-2008, 07:10 PM

3,459 posts, read 5,791,609 times
Maybe I'm just cheap, but spending a thousand dollars to pay somebody for a day's worth of work just sounds silly if there's a way you can do it yourself.

As long as you know the basics, there's no reason an average homeowner couldn't wire up some lights, and it feels a lot better to know that you did it yourself (and saved enough for a cruise ticket in the process).

Old 11-12-2008, 07:22 PM

654 posts, read 3,455,915 times
In my case, I updated the electric service myself to 200-amp, and the power company came out and tied in my line yesterday and set in a new meter (digital face meter). I installed the meter socket, indoor breaker panel, ran new service conductors, new conduit, weatherhead, and new ground rod. MAJOR accomplishment and it feels awesome that I accomplished the work myself.

My cost? $500 for all parts. Had I hired an electrician, it would've cost me a fortune. I bought the right books I needed to do the job right (studied before I did any work) and had a retired electrician I consulted with to guide me along to ensure all was good. I posted pics of the work on another thread I started.

Now the real work begins: rewiring the house.

My area of the county permits nor inspections are required (unless building a structure over 100sq ft).

Old 11-12-2008, 07:39 PM

841 posts, read 4,838,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlinggirl View Post
Maybe I'm just cheap, but spending a thousand dollars to pay somebody for a day's worth of work just sounds silly if there's a way you can do it yourself.

As long as you know the basics, there's no reason an average homeowner couldn't wire up some lights, and it feels a lot better to know that you did it yourself (and saved enough for a cruise ticket in the process).
That's why my husband has put in our wood floors all on his own, spackling the walls and ceilings when needed (such as today), we do our own lawn care and landscaping, etc. He's actually quite handy and we take great pride in what we do to our house. He also installed a chandelier last night. But when it comes to rewiring things and putting in canned lighting, we thought it best to use professionals.

Old 11-12-2008, 08:40 PM

29,939 posts, read 39,453,111 times
That's very reasonable. You'd crap your pants if you knew what I am about to give up for 1 light.

Now the real question. Are those lights well sealed tight or will the bill be an ever growing burden on your income? Are they fluorescent?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House