U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 02-22-2007, 07:37 PM

302 posts, read 756,503 times
Default Moving House>>

Has anyone ever moved a home and relocated it to a predetermined lot?

I love older homes built 1800-1930's. The craftsmanship is so beautiful and all the historic essence of them pleases me. I've seen the show on HGTV "Hauling House" and I'm thinking of looking into it some in CNY. (central new york) They show them "delivering" the home at the new lot but never actually placing it on a slab or foundation. I'm seeking any input or info some of you may have.

Thanks......
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2007, 08:15 AM

29 posts, read 77,414 times
I don't have any experience with this, but have done some research b/c I had thought about doing the same thing! It turns out that it is usually very expensive for several reasons. First ,because of hight issues, you often need to get the overhead electric lines raised up so that the house can pass under them. Depending on the distance of travel, this can be an enormous expense. In addition, apparently the areas these houses are currently in have grandfathered there construction in. When they move they apparently often have to be completely redone to meet current building codes. If you find out anything more encouraging, let me know!

Old 02-23-2007, 12:19 PM

Default Thanks

Thanks for your input. I knew about the expense of the overhead wires and the overtime costs for the power co. people. But I never thought about the codes issue. What state were you looking to do this? I'm looking in NY, and I'm not sure "if" it already was an exsisting structure ,only moved to a new location that bringing it up to code is the law. I understand new constuction should be.

Also were you looking at putting the home on a slab or foundation??

Thanks again......I'll look into this.

Old 02-23-2007, 12:38 PM

29 posts, read 77,414 times
I would have been doing it in Pennsylvania, but the info I found was from all over the place (I found it very difficult to find much info on this, so I took what I could get!) I came to the conclusion that it was probably out of my budget and that I will most likely have to decide between the really pretty old victorians without much land and the not nearly as unique houses with land If you decide to pursue it I would contact the group in your proposed town that handles building permits and see what they have to say.

Old 02-23-2007, 05:43 PM

Thanks Rascal...

I'll keep you posted as I find more info about this. There are plenty of homes to choose from and the land isn't a problem either. I just hope that this is within a reasonable cost. I'm also looking for a good few acres for an old victorian and build a 3-4 car garage.

Old 12-10-2008, 10:48 PM

4 posts, read 10,936 times
Default Yes I moved a house and a two stall garage..

Hi
Two years ago my husband and I moved a house from 1922 two blocks.
We put it on a lot we owned next to are tiny one bedroom house.
It had too be moved or it would be torn down because a church that owned it needed a bigger parking lot.
They already torn down the house that was sitting at the corner lot.
The only why the city of Cedar Falls,Ia would let us move this house we had to remove two bay windows and the attic to the floor.
So we hired amish contractors to do the work of removing the bay windows and the attic to the floor along with the chimmey.
And rebuilding the attic and putting the bay windows back on once it was sitting on are 9 foot basement at its new location.
I did most of the work of removing and cleaning out the basement before the movers got there.
It was great to see the house lift off the old foundation and slide over and to rest on the dollies and wheels.
Then see it start moving off the old lot and on to the street then moving down the road to the new location.
We had are local tv station air it on the news and the local news paper did a story and put it in the paper.
Also a two stall garage.
It was alot of work to save a beautilful old house and I love living here.
Tina

Old 12-11-2008, 01:58 AM

15,820 posts, read 28,345,960 times
We moved a house. It was one of the Haulin House episodes. I am trying to go back to sleep so I will not write a lengthy post right now. Look at our website Cold Jensens | Where the Jensens come to freeze and then let me know what questions you have. It was difficult, time consuming and expensive. But it was a really neat experience. Worth saving the house, but with the real estate crash it killed us.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House