U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-21-2008, 12:05 PM

35 posts, read 81,568 times

Advertisements

Hi I have a York furnace gas :

10-12 YO

M/N PBKM-LD14N100E

S/N EGDM264145

The problem in the furnace goes through it's cycle as normal it seems. But the gas valve doesn't open, so it recycles 2 times and shuts down a I get the code lockout- check furnace. the first time it did this I checked all the connections (electric) all seemed clean ok, I checked the relays none were open I jumped the 3 relays on the top of the flame inlet, and the furnace started. I figured that was the problem so I bought new ones to replace them in the mean time the furnace stopped working again. So it wasn't the relays, but now I have them. So I noticed that the furnace is sporadic it starts and doesn't at will. I had a furnace tech (air Tech of NJ) come to check it out he said it could be the flame sensor, or the vacuum switch or the manifold is broken. Well I looked at the manifold it looks great, it is a stamped steel type. On the old furnace which this one replaced, it had a cracked cast iron manifold. Anyway replacing the flame sensor doesn't seem like it would be causing the problem, doesn't that sensor detect flame when the unit is running and close the gas valve if the flame goes out before the heating cycle is done? the vacuum switch I don't know what that does, anyway he said he checked all the connections and replaced the flame sensor and the unit has been running good for the last 2 weeks till last night.

At around 6pm when the T-stat called for heat the unit cycled and the fan came on with no heat. I called the service guy and waited for a call back. anyway through out the night I heard the unit come on a few times and the house was warm. this mourning the heat came up and the next time nothing. and still nothing. I looked at the unit and it doesn't look like the repairman ever replaced the flame sensor because it is still dusty and the surrounding area looks like it was never touched. I don't know what he did the first time. I looked in the chimney and the metal exhaust pipe from the unit to the chimney and no obstructions.

I am selling the house and have insurance for the house and Air-tech is who the ins co sent. I don't know if they are the best, they really don't sound very convincing when they tell what they think is wrong. I like to be able to tell them what might be wrong.

Thanks for all and any of your help.

Scott
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2008, 01:18 PM

5,668 posts, read 6,780,273 times
When you say the fan comes on I assume you are talking about the combustion fan not the furnace blower. If I am assuming correctly the vacuum switch assures that the combustion motor is running. There should be a small tube from near the motor to the vac switch. Make sure that it is clear and intact. Do not bypass vac switch. That could cause carbon monoxide to enter your house.

Old 11-21-2008, 01:38 PM

35 posts, read 81,568 times
when it goes through it's cycle I mean the small exhuast fan comes on for a bit then the coil heats up but no flame and some times but not all the time the blower (heat into the ducts) comes on and blows just the cold air. I don't hear the gas valve clicking so no gas is flowing. I just checked the circit board for burn marks it looks good. I put it back and the furnace came on put heat into the house now, once the house heats up aI'll try to cycle the unit again.

Old 11-21-2008, 04:13 PM

5,668 posts, read 6,780,273 times
That is the combustion motor. If something is keeping it from moving air, restriction in vent, fan loose on shaft and not turning etc gas valve will not open. Again check the tube to the vac switch and if you have an ohmeter check and see if switch closes. Does your ignition light a pilot than the main burner or light just the main burner?

Old 12-20-2009, 10:06 AM

1 posts, read 20,333 times
make sure the low pressure switch is operational, a circular plastic device with vac hoses running to it from the combustion chamber, and exhaust motor. My press switch was not working gave it a couple of bangs with a wrench no it works fine. York should make equipment that lasts longer than one year (mine is eleven mon old). Durability may be an issue a small tap can make it work or fail.

Old 12-20-2009, 10:22 AM

7,146 posts, read 5,244,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHandyman View Post
when it goes through it's cycle I mean the small exhuast fan comes on for a bit then the coil heats up but no flame and some times but not all the time the blower (heat into the ducts) comes on and blows just the cold air. I don't hear the gas valve clicking so no gas is flowing. I just checked the circit board for burn marks it looks good. I put it back and the furnace came on put heat into the house now, once the house heats up aI'll try to cycle the unit again.
OK, its a hot surface ignitor. my first inclination would be to check the gas valve. Since the ignitor is pulling in, thats the next thing in line. Your vaccum switch is fine if the ignitor works. Controls go bad. Sadly, they are also not cheap. Is the control a Honeywell, or a Robertshaw? Robertshaws have a tendency to be a bit more hinky than Honeywells,(in my experience). From the sounds of it (I have seen a LOT of furnaces do this) your main gas is not opening, and its locking out on flame failure. Diagnosis, bad control. Check this by seeing if you have 24 volts at the valve when the ignitor pulls in. Does your circuit board have a diagnostic light? Look for a blinking red light on the card when the thing locks out. There will be a code card somewhere on the furnace that tells you what the light series means. Three short + 2 long = bad valve etc. They don't all have this, but most newer ones do. One piece of advice, modern gas furnaces are not to difficult to diagnosis, however, it does take some knowledge. A guy can mess things up ,bad, if you don't know what your doing. Do NOT bypass any controls to see if the thing fires. If you don't feel comfortable, call a heating guy. I know, we are expensive at times, but thats better than having something bad happen. Though I believe (80%) that your gas control is locked up, it could be your circuit board as well. Gota love the electronic age. Standing pilots had their advantages.

Last edited by NVplumber; 12-20-2009 at 10:32 AM..

Old 12-24-2011, 07:13 AM

3 posts, read 47,691 times
I have a York furnace that has been giving me trouble and driving me nuts at least twice a day every day. It takes streaks where it will not start and gives me one of two codes, three or five red flashing lights. If I turn the main switch off and back on the furnace starts and runs. I have checked and tried everything I was told it might be and finally gave up on support. I decided on my own to change my thermostat from a digital to an old mechanical one. It has been three days without any problems and the furnace heats up and works better than it has since it was installed in 2010.

Old 12-26-2011, 05:58 AM

Changing the thermostat from a digital to an old mechanical one fix all my problems with my york furnace. No more faults!

Old 12-28-2011, 04:48 PM

1 posts, read 15,992 times
I have a similar problem with my York furnace. Combustion blower comes on, ignitor comes on, I can feel the solenoid on the gas valve click, but no gas to the burners. I used to be able to restart the cycle and it would usually come on, but now I'm out in the cold !!

Old 01-09-2012, 06:47 AM

It has been over two weeks since I changed from a digital thermostat to the mechanical one. I still have no problems, the furnace is working perfectly.
One thing I also found is the small 1/4" hose from the gas valve to the fire box had a soft spot or kink in it and was collapsed so I changed it. I still had the problem with the furnace not starting and that's when I changed the thermostat. I hated my York furnace and wanted to replace it but have since changed my mind. I hope this helps!

Last edited by Stanley47; 01-09-2012 at 07:04 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House