Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2007, 07:43 PM

21 posts, read 243,408 times

Advertisements

Put the hardwoods in for sure. When it comes time to sell you will be glad you did. Buyers expect hardwoods in their homes now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2007, 07:59 PM

2,679 posts, read 11,710,362 times
Ceramic tile where there is exposure to water (although my kitchen, foyer, formal DR, halls and den have ceramic tile). It is 'hard' on the feet and I cannot stand or walk barefooted for long.

Hardwood is excellent aesthetically in common areas such as the den, living room, hallways to use ornamental carpet. It requires a good deal of maintenance to keep it looking good (regular refinishing). It has to be installed correctly and standing water is not good.

I still prefer bedrooms to have upgraded plush carpet with upgraded pads.

Old 09-22-2007, 01:39 AM

18,287 posts, read 23,141,701 times
What would be the best flooring to put in a rural farm house that a wheelchair could easily go over?

Old 09-23-2007, 06:59 PM

1,032 posts, read 4,255,850 times
I am a huge fan of hardwood, and have it throughout the first floor of our new house. I find it to be warmer and much easier on the feet - especially in the kitchen when you're standing a lot.

I had hardwood in the kitcehn of my last house too, and even my three boys managed to NOT destroy it. I know people are afraid it will get damaged, but ours nevr did.

Old 09-23-2007, 07:01 PM

1,032 posts, read 4,255,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by paisleysea View Post
I'm wondering why nobody is mentioning laminate (like Pergo)?
We had Prego in the foyer of our last house and I hated it! It only looked cleaned right after you cleaned it. As soon as you walked on it, it looked all smudgy. It's just so flat, no depth - I don't care for it.

Old 10-02-2007, 11:58 AM
CBB

481 posts, read 2,238,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by catsrbest View Post
Does anyone know how hardwood will hold up to cats with nails? We will start the building process soon and are trying to decide between hardwood and travertine. In our current home, we have travertine in the kitchen, dining, main walkway, and all bathrooms. It seems like hardwood is a more popular flooring choice now. Our decorating style leans more towards tuscan, so the travertine has worked out nicely, but hardwood would too. Any ideas/thoughts about the durability of hardwood with cats with claws and 2 potential children (haven't started working on that yet ). Thanks!
We have hardwood floors throughout plus a cat with claws. No problems whatsoever.

Old 10-02-2007, 12:01 PM

43 posts, read 325,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CBB View Post
We have hardwood floors throughout plus a cat with claws. No problems whatsoever.
Thanks for the feedback. What kind of hardwoods do you have? I've never had then before so just starting to learn about the prefinished vs. unfinished options, etc.

Old 10-02-2007, 12:36 PM
CBB

481 posts, read 2,238,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by catsrbest View Post
Thanks for the feedback. What kind of hardwoods do you have? I've never had then before so just starting to learn about the prefinished vs. unfinished options, etc.
We have beech parquet - oiled, not sealed.

And yes, we also have it in the kitchen! A drop of water here and there doesn't harm it.

Old 10-04-2007, 09:04 PM

2,407 posts, read 10,662,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaxson View Post
What would be the best flooring to put in a rural farm house that a wheelchair could easily go over?
I'm all for hardwoods, as I've had a hard time with my wheelchair and carpet (leave marks in the carpet, need to push harder, etc).

Old 10-04-2007, 09:20 PM

329 posts, read 1,440,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KristyLiz View Post
We had Prego in the foyer of our last house
Hee hee You mean Pergo, right? Not the spaghetti sauce PREGO?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House