Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-23-2008, 06:12 AM

13,768 posts, read 38,191,933 times

Advertisements

Here is the deal.. I know I need to have my wood floors refinished as I can see where the finish is wearing thanks to the sandy dirt my dogs bring in from outside. Not sure how old the floors are or what type of finish is on them now. I have tried waxing them but to me it appears the finish is wearing off. They are in pretty good shape except for one gouge that is pretty deep.

Now I read somewhere if you have them redone you can not walk on them for 24 hours. If that is true then that means I will have to find a place to stay overnight, plus board my dogs.

Also.. what finish is dog friendly? Any idea of the cost per sq ft?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2008, 07:23 AM

4,705 posts, read 25,296,788 times
Generally the smell alone would make you want to spend the night somewhere else. I would say a minimum of 24 hours to let it dry, depending on what product was used, and how heavy the application was. Also, temperature affects drying times.

Old 11-23-2008, 07:42 AM

7,099 posts, read 27,180,644 times
Are you planning on doing the entire house? If so, plan at least two or three nights . A house with furniture in it, cannot easily be done all at once. The furniture will be moved from one part, those floors have to dry well before the furniture can be returned and the rest of the house done.

Look at your floor plan, where are the outside doors, etc? We did our bedroom area first. The furniture was crammed into the living areas, with a mattress on the floor for sleeping the first two nights. But when the living areas where done, we had to move out because there was no way to get to the other part of the house. I think we stayed in a motel three nights in all.

This is really one type of work that you want to get a good job done. A bad job won't last and you'll have to go through the mess again.

Old 11-23-2008, 07:53 AM

Well it is just the living/dinning room (think great room) and hallway to the bedrooms and bathrooms. Just realized.. that could be a problem. Most furniture would fit in the kitchen/eating area so they should be able to do it all at one time.

I am guessing around 500 sq ft total.

So I am looking at probably boarding the dogs for at least 2 days. I have to figure that into the cost along with the motel. How about the cats? Would they be OK in a bedroom?

Old 11-23-2008, 08:25 AM

15,205 posts, read 12,070,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keeper View Post
Well it is just the living/dinning room (think great room) and hallway to the bedrooms and bathrooms. Just realized.. that could be a problem. Most furniture would fit in the kitchen/eating area so they should be able to do it all at one time.

I am guessing around 500 sq ft total.

So I am looking at probably boarding the dogs for at least 2 days. I have to figure that into the cost along with the motel. How about the cats? Would they be OK in a bedroom?
I would be concerned about the fumes with the cats....take them to the motel with ya.....

Old 11-23-2008, 10:05 AM

7,099 posts, read 27,180,644 times
The cats could stay in a bedroom with a litter box. Leave the windows open for fresh air. Could you leave enough food and water to last a couple of days?

Wait until warmer weather, perhaps April or May. You wouldn't need heat or A/C.

Old 11-23-2008, 10:28 AM

4,975 posts, read 11,694,928 times
We had our hardwoods refinished almost 2 years ago. We paid a little extra to have a quick-dry finish applied. We were able to walk on it with socked feet after 8 hours. We waited 2 days to move furniture back. We put our 2 cats in a bedroom with the window open and the fan running. They were fine! The fumes really weren't as strong as we expected. (We also paid a little extra to have an extra strong finish put on because of our 2 dogs. Can't recall the name of the product, but I'm sure any flooring business would know. It's helped a lot in preventing scratches!)

Good luck!

Old 11-23-2008, 04:19 PM

Thanks for all the info.. This helps me so much.. At least I have an idea of what I will need.
I have a LOT of dogs so I want something that will stand up their running in and out. I would rather pay more to have it quick dry since it would save me a lot of $$$ if I didn't have to leave them all in a kennel for a couple of days or pay for a motel room.

Old 11-23-2008, 04:40 PM

20,793 posts, read 61,297,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keeper View Post
Thanks for all the info.. This helps me so much.. At least I have an idea of what I will need.
I have a LOT of dogs so I want something that will stand up their running in and out. I would rather pay more to have it quick dry since it would save me a lot of $$$ if I didn't have to leave them all in a kennel for a couple of days or pay for a motel room.
With the dogs you might want them to put down a commercial grade of poly-like they use on gymnasium floors.

We had our floors redone a few years ago and we waited 2 days to walk on them and a week to put furniture down-just to be safe. It does smell quite a bit so the hotel/kennel might be a better idea. You will probably have to choose between a quick dry or a more durable coat of poly.

Old 11-23-2008, 04:53 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,838,702 times
Depends pon the type of finish you used oil base or water base. Best to read the instructions on the can.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House