U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 02-25-2007, 11:16 AM

47 posts, read 177,937 times

Advertisements

Just wondering if this is safe? We're really looking forward to our new screened in porch when we move to NC this summer and want to be able to put our barbecue on it. Do most people do this? Ever have any problems? I'm not exactly sure what kind of problems I'm talking about but being from CA and unfamiliar with screened porches I just thought I'd check.
Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2007, 11:20 AM

2,828 posts, read 8,178,350 times
Many of the new homes here have a screened in porch and a "barbeque deck" or in NC when we are going to barbeque, we actually say we are going to cook out. Just to ive out of towners a little heads up!!! We eat barbeque, but we "cook out" meaning use the grill. Anyhow, most people are going to cook out on their deck, the screened in porch is used mainly to enjoy the weather without the bugs! Remember when you screen it in to staple the screening underneath the deck boards so that the bugs will not come from under the deck as well.

We have a screened in porch, but no deck. Some houses have a screened in porch and a cement or brick patio, where they grill. For us, we keep the grill in the garage and we pull it out and grill on the driveway area. We are building a deck this summer though. I think if you grilled on the screened in porch it could be both dangerous and smokey!

Leigh

Old 02-25-2007, 11:35 AM

539 posts, read 1,692,433 times
I agree with Leigh. Grilling on the s.i.p. doesn't seem safe.

Old 02-25-2007, 11:35 AM

3,124 posts, read 8,967,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by paisleysea View Post
Just wondering if this is safe? We're really looking forward to our new screened in porch when we move to NC this summer and want to be able to put our barbecue on it. Do most people do this? Ever have any problems? I'm not exactly sure what kind of problems I'm talking about but being from CA and unfamiliar with screened porches I just thought I'd check.
I've never known anyone to grill out in a screened in porch....I am not sure it would be safe or not. We have both a screened porch and a deck...the grill goes on the deck...not the screen room.

Old 02-25-2007, 12:25 PM

3,155 posts, read 7,033,954 times
I agree w/ others that safety could be an issue. But my first thought (terrible that it wasn't safety since that's what I drill into my kids) but I wonder if the smells from the grill would get into my patio furniture cushions. I love the smell of good bbq but not sure I want to smell it all the time.

Plus I wonder if when you opened the door of the house the bbq smell would get into the house. My husband makes about 500 trips in and out while grilling. Maybe others are more of a one tripper.

Old 02-25-2007, 02:05 PM

98 posts, read 438,713 times
why have a luxury kitchen and cook out on a cheap and nasty BBQ from Sears ?

Old 02-25-2007, 02:09 PM

3,124 posts, read 8,967,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Comedian View Post
why have a luxury kitchen and cook out on a cheap and nasty BBQ from Sears ?
Who has a nasty grill from Sears? Some new grills run upwards of 6k and are luxury outdoor kitchens.

Old 02-25-2007, 02:11 PM

98 posts, read 438,713 times
wow -looks like I am a bit primitive with my grill

Old 02-25-2007, 02:21 PM

1,665 posts, read 3,446,564 times
Hey now with those cheap grill comments! Tangent:

My father lives in a rather tony neighborhood down in Florida (his house is the only six-figure house on the block, and missed the seven-figure cutoff just barely), with a luxurious kitchen that's as big as the living room/dining room/kitchen in my and my wife's house.

Imagine my dear stepmother's horror when, as a recent college grad, I purchased him a cheap, $150 grill from Sears... basic black, none of the trappings. Not only did he love it, he used it to grill out about once a month on their pool deck, for about eight years. There it sat, a Yugo of a grill next to a Mercedes of a house.

When it died, she first tried to get him to buy one of these multi-thousand dollar grills... but he liked the old one so much he tried to fix it with some spare parts. She was most glad when it couldn't be salvaged and he had to buy an expensive grill. He says he can't taste the difference. :-)

Old 02-25-2007, 02:21 PM

134 posts, read 584,577 times
You're putting your barbeque on the porch? I surely hope not!! The ants with eat it LOL. Here, the term barbeque means a type of pulled pork meat.
You're planning on putting your "GRILL" on the porch.....so you can have a "cook out". LOL.

It's funny when comparing local lexicon to other places around the country. Save soom food for me!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House